Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ryan Gustin?

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_pockets View Post
    Not according to what he said last weekend. He is going to be running the mod more so he can make some money. No one in USMTS has better equipment than he does. It isnt that he doesnt have good late model stuff. They just dont know what to do with it currently.
    He said "I'm gonna have to do more of this stuff". Which implies he will race the mod more. Does it mean he will race it more than the late model? Probably not. Btw...... The next race on his schedule is a late model race.

I can think of three teams right off hand that have just as good if not better equipment. Rodney Sanders, Stormy Scott, and Jason Hughes. Gustin drives a Hughes Chassis, btw.
    Last edited by huskerdirt; 02-17-2015 at 09:18 PM.

Some good posts in this thread, some not so much. I'm not calling out any specific posters, as this is what internet message boards are for. However, it definitely makes me think that if I were a driver, I sure as heck wouldn't want to do any reading on here (as I'm sure 99% of them don't...). Although, if I'm Ryan Gustin, I probably get a good chuckle:

- people evidently know how much of a cut I get of race winnings
    - they know how much we have invested in our equipment, and how that compares to other top teams
    - I evidently don't know what to do with a late model (I wonder how the guys who won fewer than the 9 LM races that I did last year must feel about their chassis/setup prowess?)
    - I don't have talent or good judgement
    - people are certain of my plans for the year, even though much of the prognostication in this thread doesn't sum up my 2015 plans at all.... I guess I'd better get off of here and go let Ed know that we are running USMTS for points this year. I don't think he was aware of that yet. Or at least, he hasn't told me.

Edit, it does bear mentioning that the clown that was responsible for most of the hot air in this thread appears to have been banned, so that is definitely a step in the right direction 4m!
    Last edited by dirt33; 02-17-2015 at 10:04 PM.

I cant see where anyone was banned. I also cant see any hot air as I simply see a discussion.

Basically, without a full time crew chief who has been on the road with Late Models, it's a VERY tough learning curve. It's Ryan, Roger and the car owner most nights. There is a LOT more to the late model than the modified. Two completely different animals. He can tune a modified no problem, he's been doing it for 10 years. Late Models not so much, and when you have bills to pay, the learning curve can't be there.

Second, his modified program isn't "better than everyone elses" because of money. He rolls the same equipment out of the trailer that Hughes, Sanders, Krohn and so forth does nightly.

The late model will still get raced and he will still win. He's just very head strong and at the same time realizes he has to pay bills like the rest of us. Don't worry, he will be back in late models full time soon enough.

We did win a smooth $1,000 at an indoor go kart race last month, musta "out money'ed" those guys too huh
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Quick Note:
    He'll be racing for $10,000 in a Southern Sport Mod this weekend, followed by the Pelican 100. Look for him to run strong at the Pelican.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamGRT12x View Post
    Basically, without a full time crew chief who has been on the road with Late Models, it's a VERY tough learning curve. It's Ryan, Roger and the car owner most nights. There is a LOT more to the late model than the modified. Two completely different animals. He can tune a modified no problem, he's been doing it for 10 years. Late Models not so much, and when you have bills to pay, the learning curve can't be there.

Second, his modified program isn't "better than everyone elses" because of money. He rolls the same equipment out of the trailer that Hughes, Sanders, Krohn and so forth does nightly.

The late model will still get raced and he will still win. He's just very head strong and at the same time realizes he has to pay bills like the rest of us. Don't worry, he will be back in late models full time soon enough.

We did win a smooth $1,000 at an indoor go kart race last month, musta "out money'ed" those guys too huh
    Great post!!! Thanks for clarifying some stuff. Did you guys get that Kart win over at the Nebraska Kart Shootout in Lincoln?

Of course his mod is better than most people because of money. Ya there are about five guys that have the same stuff. But show up at a big late model race and there is 30 guys with the same stuff. You took it as an insult that he has better stuff than most with a mod. It wasnt meant that way at all. It is just the facts.

I cant see where anyone was banned. I also cant see any hot air as I simply see a discussion.
    No worries you're on the review list

Thumbs up

Great post ty TeamGrt12x for clearing up my original question.... I have always enjoyed watching Ryan race...

Quick Note:
    He'll be racing for $10,000 in a Southern Sport Mod this weekend, followed by the Pelican 100. Look for him to run strong at the Pelican.
    Thanks for the info. I wondered why he wasn't going to be at the Baytown USMTS show this weekend. I hadn't been aware of the Longhorn Roundup at Super Bowl returning this year, wow 10 grand for sport mods?

Quote Originally Posted by dirt33 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I wondered why he wasn't going to be at the Baytown USMTS show this weekend. I hadn't been aware of the Longhorn Roundup at Super Bowl returning this year, wow 10 grand for sport mods?
    Deep_Pockets

I would be surprised if they spent as much on the modified as you think they do. I agree with what you're saying, but it has nothing to do with money on the late model side either. His equipment is par with everyone else's, but he's lacking the knowledge setup, tire wise. Showed up to Knoxville in 2013 and ran up front until a power steering hose broke. Wasn't something we could prepare for, just a part failure. That was also a tire rule race.

Husker:

Went to Lincoln but didn't get the W there. Went to Emma Missouri for a special deal they were running and ran good. It's our solution to the winter time blues lol

FWIW, the kid earned the money ride by getting it done with a lot less.

Of course his mod is better than most people because of money. Ya there are about five guys that have the same stuff. But show up at a big late model race and there is 30 guys with the same stuff. You took it as an insult that he has better stuff than most with a mod. It wasnt meant that way at all. It is just the facts.
    See that you have changed your tune. I tried to tell you on page 2 that several other USMTS guys have just as good, if not better, equipment than Ryan and you responded with this, "No one in USMTS has better equipment than he does."

There's a lot of money there but a lot of USMTS guys have that kind of money. Rodney Sanders, Jason Krohn, Stormy Scott, Johnny Scott, Jason Hughes, Rolland, Those Arnneson Kids, money isn't everything. Go to Deer Creek sometime for the World Finals or Fall Jamboree and you'll see money. More money is lost in the pits after the races in card games then you could ever win racing. There's 15 or 20 more cars that have UNLIMITED funds.

Quote Originally Posted by TUTY View Post
    There's a lot of money there but a lot of USMTS guys have that kind of money. Rodney Sanders, Jason Krohn, Stormy Scott, Johnny Scott, Jason Hughes, Rolland, Those Arnneson Kids, money isn't everything. Go to Deer Creek sometime for the World Finals or Fall Jamboree and you'll see money. More money is lost in the pits after the races in card games then you could ever win racing. There's 15 or 20 more cars that have UNLIMITED funds.
    Exactly. Ryan was beating the same guys with old equipment out of a one stall garage down the street and if you want to argue on it then so be it. I remember stripping shocks and parts from my car for him to run with. One motor, one car (2003 Skyrocket).