Default 602 valve springs

How often should I change my valve springs year 2 on my 602 changed them 3 times last year every 8 races and does everyone change retainers every time I've heard different opinions on this at local tracks would like a few more opinions .

we recommend changing springs in the 10 night range
    earlier if your RPM is exceeding 6200

keepers are recommended to be replaced everytime you replace springs
    however we have never had an issue with a 602 retainer and rarely replace them

our recomendation on spring replacement is based on using hand picked springs not just buy a box of springs and put them on

our recomendation is to use springs on the intake valve that test above the middle of factory specs
    and exhaust springs that are atleast on the middle of factory spec or higher

evaluating valve springs should be done at open pressure NOT seat pressure and new springs should be coil bound at least 3 times for at least 10 seconds each time before testing (we call that blowing the new off)

it will typically take 3 boxes of springs to find a set that qualifys-----which is allot better than the old 604 stuff that we would sometimes go through 20 boxes or more to get this

if your not using tested springs ----i would simply move my target RPM down a bit and increase my replacement schedule to less than 8 races

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Quote Originally Posted by bowtech View Post
    How often should I change my valve springs year 2 on my 602 changed them 3 times last year every 8 races and does everyone change retainers every time I've heard different opinions on this at local tracks would like a few more opinions .
    http://www.castheads.com/cylinder-he...2-crate-motor/

Put these springs on and forget about them.

only problem with that is a good tech man will ruin your night and maybe your season but definatly your reputation

Brad Hibbard

This may depend on if you get parts from that tech/sales man.

Brad said a good tech man, not a dirty one.

Brad, can a person buy a set of hand picked springs from you? and if so, how much are they? Looked on your website but didnt see them.

If your not placing top 5 at touring shows, , which is impossible with a 602, put them in and forget about it. Bank some time and money that can be spent making your overall deal better with these or comps springs.