Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Daytona 500 Qualifying

I don't think I've ever seen a more screwed up mess as is going on right now at Daytona in 500 qualifying. Words can't express the stupidity of this. What the he!! was wrong with the way they've been doing it since 1959?

Keep it up NASCAR and you'll need to start paying spectators to show up! Clint Bowyer summed it up very well. I'll bet he gets fined big time and he may just not run too well and might have a much tougher time getting the car through tech inspection from now on. That sh!t has happened before and I wouldn't be surprised it happens to Clint!

It sounds like all racing in general is all screwed up!!!!!

I like how ole mikey waltrip goes on about how exciting this is. Oh yeah I love watching cars sit idle on pit road.

The end justified the means......................Jeff on the pole!!!

You wonder some times how many ways nascar can cut their own throat before their head fall off.

Draw for 125's and race your way in. Who cares if your fast for one lap. Nascar wants excitement make them race their way in. The last time someone won from the pole was back in 2000. Only 9 times in the Daytona 500 race has someone won starting from the pole. Not a major factor in the race.

Quote Originally Posted by allthegoodnamesaretaken View Post
    I like how ole mikey waltrip goes on about how exciting this is. Oh yeah I love watching cars sit idle on pit road.
    I was thinking the exact same thing as Michael was gushing about this whole fiasco!! I think what Clint Bowyer said is a lot closer to being reality. I will repeat.......I'll make a bet that Bowyer gets fined and maybe worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by drano View Post
    You wonder some times how many ways nascar can cut their own throat before their head fall off.
    Can't be said any better drano!! Mike Joy said Formula 1 does it this way and it's very exciting. Well who gives a $hit what F1 does, this is American racing and it don't work the same!!

I believe the old qualifying procedure for the Indianapolis 500 is the best format. A 4 lap average and start 'em straight up with bumping after the field is initially set. But even Indy has bastardized that great format. I guess there is always someone of authority that is dreaming of a better or more exciting way. NASCAR seems to be the worst at that stuff. And, I don't need to hear of the bullsh!t about nothing stays the same. If it works leave it alone!!

There used to be a pretty good crowd for qualifying for the Daytona 500 but there weren't may people in the stands today, and it was a nice day down there. NASCAR just keeps the hits coming!! LOL!!
    Last edited by CIRF; 02-15-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allthegoodnamesaretaken View Post
    Mikey is a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by drano View Post
    Mikey is a girl.
    Hmmm. Then it's true, a girl has won the Daytona 500..................twice!!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Hmmm. Then it's true, a girl has won the Daytona 500..................twice!!
    Good one CIRF lol

All I can add is they called it "knock out" qualifying and it knocked a few cars out of the session. Pity the one car team that has to get a car down there to tech it and hope to make it through the twins.

all the more reason for networks and major advertisers to start focusing and promoting a "new" form of racing...dirt track racing....the next level that bloomer has always talked about is there for the taking with the right people involved...clint bowyer, mark martin, tony stewart come to mind.
    powerslave

Im surprised none of the teams didn't just sit that qualifying out.. there was no need for it at all you can clearly start last in a duel and find your way to the front.

Well, the way I see it, Jeff was happy and Clint wasn't.....your mileage may vary....I'm not sure what to make of it...wasn't terrible, I watched it...wasn't all that exciting, but I still watched it....liked Kurt Busch's Bingo Balls analogy...

Just one more metaphoric nail in the coffin of what was a great racing series 15 years ago. I tuned in right after the fiasco perpetrated by Sorenson, mainly out of curiosity. I continued to watch to see for myself just how idiotic the whole proceeding could, and did, get. It didn't disappoint in that regard.

Jockeying for position in the qualifying line?

Setting and waiting for someone to make a move and allowing the time limit run down?

Drafting in huge groups during qualifications?

What worldly sense does all of this make?

If someone has this nonsense figured out and can explain why, please do, because I haven't talked to anyone who can give a realistic answer as to the reasons this was implemented.

Does NASCAR really think this stuff adds anything to the show or makes the show better?

So many questions, so few qualified people with a lick of sense to honestly answer.

Sure Gordo and JJ are happy, sure Bowyer is pissed, but the real question is why. Especially when ticket sales and TV ratings are down over 50% in the past 10 years following the implementation of a bunch of other stupid rules and formats. You'd think they (NASCAR) would have learned their lessons by now.

Only thing I can figure is nascar grasping at straws to try to get people interested in it again, but not working. They need to go back to their roots but i am afraid it may be to late they lost all of their old loyal fans and the new ones arent far behind.

they knew going into it who had the fastest cars and that didn`t change much

Good thing no one took me up on my offer to bet that Bowyer would get fined! LOL!! I'd be coughing up some cash in addition to eating some humble pie made of crow!!

I still believe there will be repercussions directed at Bowyer from NASCAR for what he said. They just won't be quite as overt as a direct fine. NASCAR is, and always has been, very vindictive towards anyone who would dare question their procedures, rules and officiating techniques and results.

I love dirt track racing and Nascar. Plenty of time to enjoy both. I liked the new qualifying format except for plate tracks. I am sure Nascar is well aware of how silly yesterday was. However ratings and fans will ultimately determine what happens in plate qualifying going forward. As was mentioned, where you start at a plate track doesn't matter, but when things happen (5 crashed cars) because of silly rules like yesterday? Check ratings

Bowyer might slide with a hand slap on this deal. HE happens to be 100% correct in his assessment. Nascar knows he is, but of course will never admit it. Fans also know. As I said ratings will determine plate qualifying in the future. So stay tuned.