Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best 25-30 year career?

Is it bloomquist or moyer? Freddy smith has the wins but does he count as a different generation? We've had guy with great 5-10-15 year careers, I'm talking about a total of 25 plus years of domination. Do you have to go with Moyer and bloomquist or are there other contenders? Sure josh Richards and may other guys with relatively short careers have had great success but I don't want to include these guys. Who takes it for you guys? I'm only wanting to include guys who mainly ran hav a Tampa, stars, and big one off races like world dream etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Ericnewman View Post
    Is it bloomquist or moyer? Freddy smith has the wins but does he count as a different generation? We've had guy with great 5-10-15 year careers, I'm talking about a total of 25 plus years of domination. Do you have to go with Moyer and bloomquist or are there other contenders? Sure josh Richards and may other guys with relatively short careers have had great success but I don't want to include these guys. Who takes it for you guys? I'm only wanting to include guys who mainly ran hav a Tampa, stars, and big one off races like world dream etc...
    Bloomer, Moyer, and Moran. Though Moran is right at that 25 year deal, as to when he fell off. In no particular order, especially Bloomer and Moyer. One over the other is ridiculous, can't imagine two more equal guys.

Cant forget people like Jeff Purvis or Mike Duvall.

and Jackie boogs and larry moore

Bloomer and Moyer ARE the top 5...... others are just the rest of the top Ten.

Or the likes of Charlie Swartz or Wendal Wallace comes to mind. But Bloomer and Moyer are in a different World.

Quote Originally Posted by drano View Post
    Cant forget people like Jeff Purvis or Mike Duvall.
    Purvis was good but can't be included in the 25-30 year career not even close

Duval good as well can be included in the 25-30 year career but just doesnt have the big wins like Moyer and Bloomer I know he won the World jut not in the same class as the other 2

Are we talking about just the generic dirt late model era or does this question include the guys who drove when late models began life as real street cars?

Generic dirt late models have only been around for 35 to 37 years and some of the guys from the true "late model stock car" era crossed over from those to the generics.

In fact, according to some old pictures that are floating around the internet, Billy Moyer may have driven a Camaro way back in the day that appears to have began life as a street car.

I am happy that i grew up at the right time to really appreciate Moyer, Bloomquist, Kinser, Swindell. Because when those four are gone for good, i doubt it will be the same.
    Go Buckeyes!!!

Freddy is the one I would want to be. He done it back when guys would blow the winders out of a street car on sunday and turn it into a race car by the end of the week, he also ran well and won when things got to where things are now.

I still think IF Purvis would've stuck around we wouldn't see as much of Bloomquist, Moyer, and Moran on the back of these past winners shirts. I never got to see him run, he was a lil before my time. His stats tell everything anyone needs to know about him.

Don't forget Buck Simmons. He won over a 1000 features. I saw him win at Golden Isles at my first slm race.

z, JP may have been the very best of the best of the generic late model era but he moved to the big time at a fairly early age (30 years). He's one of the few who made a successful transition from the dirt late models into the NASCAR national touring series'. Although Jeff's Cup starts weren't all that successful he did have 4 wins, 25 top 5's and 57 top 10's in the Busch Series and was a terror on the superspeedways driving an ARCA car. Jeff had 8 wins in 24 starts in the ARCA cars.

I would have loved to have seen Purvis on the dirt at The Springfield Mile, Du Quoin or The Indiana State Fairgrounds Mile in an ARCA car!! He'd have been a show all by hisself!!!

We got to be old enough to watch Purvis on dirt later in his career and he could cut through a field of cars and traffic with surgical precision.

Unfortunately for us dirt track fans we'll never know for sure what kind of a record he'd have compiled, but you can rest assured it would have been right up there with anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by drtrkr244 View Post
    Don't forget Buck Simmons. He won over a 1000 features. I saw him win at Golden Isles at my first slm race.
    For sure drtrkr244, Simmons was one of the guys that made the transition successfully from the street car late models to the generic late models.

I have an abiding respect for guys like Buck that made the transition and won a lotta' races in both types of cars.

I agree with you drtrkr244. Buck was a great wheelman.
    Because Dirt's for Racin'...

I've always picked Bloomquist over Moyer but they are two equally impressive racers, surpassed by none. Both started when you had to be as good of an innovator as you did driver, and each has withstood the test of time. I still don't believe racing would be what it is today if it were not for either of them. And how about on a more local level? In my area there were the likes of Tony Izzo Sr, John Provenzano, Bob Pierce, Roger Long, and Gary Webb (as you venture towards Iowa). I can't even fathom the number of championships/wins between those guys.

Bloomquist the Babe Ruth of dirt late model racing.

it's bloomquist, then moyer a very close second. no one else even deserves to be in the conversation.
    jackie boggs....the last true outlaw
    anyone but lanigan
    Swartz - we don't build race cars fast, we build fast race cars

We all view it differently based on our region and the generation of racers we grew up with.. I was born in nov 81... My first dirt race was November 81. 411, atomic, smoky mtn, tazewell, Bulls gap, Cleveland were my racetracks. For some reason as a child I always booed bloomquist bc he was like a Villian. The older I got the more I realized he wasn't an evil bad guy he was just an awesome racer and probably the best in the country.. Right down the road from me in moorseburg.. I'm from Sevierville. Rick eckert, Mars, panic an, f smith, Scott sexton, billy ogle.. All those guys where big and great but it really feels like bloomquist is number one all time from my generation 81-current

This is a easy one! Moyer!! Bloomquist's conviction has to affect his ranking! And to the Bloomquist lovers who are going to bash me for saying this hey it's part of his career!

Quote Originally Posted by IN THE KNOW View Post
    This is a easy one! Moyer!! Bloomquist's conviction has to affect his ranking! And to the Bloomquist lovers who are going to bash me for saying this hey it's part of his career!
    So would Billy's indiscretions also be part of his career????

If we are talking racing career, then I'm not sure it's fair to bring in the private affairs( no pun intended) in judging the racing careers of either.

Jmo
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????