Default clearancing a 400

Was wondering about how much material is need to be removed to clearance a sbc 400 to use a 3.875 stroke crank with 6.0 H beam rods

Going to depend on rod and crank choice mostly as well as block. Cam to rod clearance is also going to be an issue so choose wisely on rods.

I built a 434 (4" stroke)in 2010 using all Callies and a SHP block.THEY claimed the rods would clear the cam,but i had to grind on the rods because they HIT the cam lobes.Race it for 3 years.I know for sure you won't have a problem clearing the cam using Callies Rods with a 3.875 crank,but you will have to have the block machined along the pan rails a little bit.If using a SHP block,they come clearanced at the rails. Badazz engine for sure with that stroke.

You can use Honda or even a BMW journal depending on the application to help with clearance. Find some used Plankl or Lentz rods with 5/16 bolts and you will have a good start, and probably save some money.

Small base circle cams kill parts. Get the biggest base circle you can.

does the 4--7 swap solve clearance problem on cam

Use a small base circle cam and callies has a new rod for this application ultra hd.

Quote Originally Posted by dave41 View Post
    does the 4--7 swap solve clearance problem on cam

Didn't with me! And YES we used a Comp small base circle roller cam with the 4/7 swap.I about came unglued when building this 434 in 2010 when the Callies rods HIT the cam lobes.Literally stopped me from rolling over the crank.We had talked to Professional builders,Callies,and a Comp HEAD.They said you will be fine,everything should clear.Well,it didn't.It took me probably 12 hours to gently grind then feather polish every rod until i got 0.45 clearance between cap and lobe.Take apart,grind,clean,install SEVERAL times on each one of them.It worked.Ran like a monster for three years,along with RHS 235 runners 49cc 14* iron heads,using a 5/8" alum spacer under the intake all around so the intake reached the heads.LoL Looks just like a BB on top. MONSTER!!! They didn't even make an intake for those heads at the time, and had to beg Shoenfield to die-up and make me headers with an 18* plate on them. Pushrods are over 9"s long too.Still running it all though!

Yes,NOW they have Rods that will clear,but at that time i think they were experimenting with BB strokes vs. rods, and we were one of their Guinea pigs.