Thread: spoilers

Default spoilers

Here lately, I've been seeing crates with 12 inch spoiler fins with an 8 inch spoiler; both at Winter freeze and last week at Golden Isles for the Nesmith races. I thought if you had an 8 inch spoiler you had to run 8 inch fins according to the rules???

I think NeSmith runs 8 inch spoiler with 12 inch blades. Unlike fastrack were we run 8 inch blades and spoilerwith 604, But if you run a 602 you can run 12 inch blades.

I'm getting ready to run NeSmith this year I can't find anything in the rules like this other than a maximum of 12 inch spoiler reguardless of 604 or 602. Should I go 12 inches on the spoiler or should I go shorter? Hope I'm not hijacking your thread.

I dont run a crate, but friends that do are saying they feel like the 12" spoiler on a crate is to much drag. They are faster with only 8" spoiler but they like the 12" spoiler sides for the side force. So if rules say 12" max, you can always run less and keep the sides at 12"

Nesmith allows 12 in spoiler blade and side supports. You can run anything smaller than that if you choose. I like the 12 in spoiler blade and lay it back , say 50 degrees. If you measure straight up its about 9 in probably. I think it give's the air more surface area to push down on, rather than having an 8 in standing up causing drag.

I'm just getting to racing. Should I leave off the 90 degree bend at the top? All the information I've found says it causes turbulance and drag but every car I've been around has it.

Build an 8" then attach a piece of angle to the back and build a 4" spoiler to attach to the angle. Depends on where you're racing, but we raced the NeSmith tour last year and only ran the 8" a hand full of times. Places like Ocala and Magnolia are the two I remember running an 8" at. Also, this might open up this conversation, but we were told by people who have done wind tunnel testing that anything passed 70 degrees only increases deck length and can cause a feeling like it's lifting the front tires off the ground. Hope this helps a little.
    Last edited by jonnywhoop52; 03-19-2015 at 03:59 PM.