Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crate Late Models

After seeing the Western PA tracks go over to the RUSH Crate Series from FASTRAK it got me thinking. How many CLM (604 or 602) series' are there in the country? Seems like every other week I hear about a new series that has popped up or is running.

I know there is the big three (FASTRAK, RUSH and NeSMITH) and now this new CARS series in PA, and of course there is the Go Nuclear series in NY/Canada. What else is there in the rest of the country?

I've never seen much wrong with any of them but people seem to really support one or the other.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

FASTRAK pulled out of the NE at the beginning of the year and will be having an Ohio Valley region.

SECA. Is another its not called a series but pretty much is. They are all pretty much the same if you ask me. Tire rules and spoiler rules is about the only difference. I have run both Fastrak and SECA. Tires need to come down they are getting out of hand. I haven't bought a ft200 in awhile last I paid was $140. I now the 1350s where $152 at the end of last year

Here in the TN, GA and AL area... we got a new one called the United Crate Racing Alliance (UCRA). It's a 12 race schedule at 6 different tracks throughout the year and each race pays $2,500 to win. For guys like me, it's a good little series to run (I plan to hit about 5-7 of them) along with running a few Nesmith races when they come more local toward me. Hard tire rules (1600's or D55's) and a $5,000 payout to the series points winner.

Quote Originally Posted by W2Racing09 View Post
    After seeing the Western PA tracks go over to the RUSH Crate Series from FASTRAK it got me thinking. How many CLM (604 or 602) series' are there in the country? Seems like every other week I hear about a new series that has popped up or is running.

I know there is the big three (FASTRAK, RUSH and NeSMITH) and now this new CARS series in PA, and of course there is the Go Nuclear series in NY/Canada. What else is there in the rest of the country?

I've never seen much wrong with any of them but people seem to really support one or the other.

Thanks,
    Jeff.
    The CARS deal really isn't a series. It's a thing where guys who run American Racers' crate tires at weekly tracks are eligible for a point fund.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I think the classes are out of hand it cast more to build a top of the line crate than a late model the class started out fun to help the guy that couldn't run late model but I think the series are the ones making all the money you pay fees for every thing what do u all think ?????

Rush series, runs hand and hand with Nesmith, just a Northern arm and no BIG spoiler.
    The Go Nuclear, has now switched Rush rules as well for the 2015 season, but is still Go Nuclear.
    It all makes more since to run the same rules in 1 area, better for racers as well as tracks .

First of all, the the notion that it cost as much to build a top of the line crate as it does to build an open late model: that is COMPLETE bullsh!t. You can easily build two top of the line crates for the cost of one open late model.

As far as series, we have the Bowman Pro Late Model Series here in Indiana. It is very competitive and consists of many past champions from open late models and mods. It is primarily focused around Brownstown Speedway and is half owned by the track's promoter with the other half owned by the area's certified engine builder.
    We're wedged nicely between Fastrak country and UMP country and have no desire to seek sanctioning from either. We get 20-25 cars on a normal race night and had two races last year that had over 40 cars. Our rules are very compatible with the other national series but you will never see us adopting stupid shock rules. The idea of crate late model is to put a crate motor in a late model; not to turn it into a street stock as some other places have tried to do with their crate division. The only thing unique about our series is the tire rule which is D21 or D55. Other tracks (at least two in Kentucky) are now allowing our tires in the hopes of drawing some of the cars from Indiana and they will.
    Weekly pay is $800 to win $115 to start. Two specials pay $1000 to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    First of all, the the notion that it cost as much to build a top of the line crate as it does to build an open late model: that is COMPLETE bullsh!t. You can easily build two top of the line crates for the cost of one open late model.

As far as series, we have the Bowman Pro Late Model Series here in Indiana. It is very competitive and consists of many past champions from open late models and mods. It is primarily focused around Brownstown Speedway and is half owned by the track's promoter with the other half owned by the area's certified engine builder.
    We're wedged nicely between Fastrak country and UMP country and have no desire to seek sanctioning from either. We get 20-25 cars on a normal race night and had two races last year that had over 40 cars. Our rules are very compatible with the other national series but you will never see us adopting stupid shock rules. The idea of crate late model is to put a crate motor in a late model; not to turn it into a street stock as some other places have tried to do with their crate division. The only thing unique about our series is the tire rule which is D21 or D55. Other tracks (at least two in Kentucky) are now allowing our tires in the hopes of drawing some of the cars from Indiana and they will.
    Weekly pay is $800 to win $115 to start. Two specials pay $1000 to win.
    I disagree on the shock deal, I don't think putting a spec shock on these cars would make them street stocks. I think the spirit of the division is just as was said earlier, for those who cannot afford or don't want to spend the money to run SLM or Steel Blocks. I would like to see RUSH/NeSmith use those sealed Bilsteins they are using with the RUSH Mods. To me it makes no sense to require a crate motor to save money and then allow people to buy $2000 shocks.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

What about the guys that already have $2000 shocks. does it make since to make them go out and buy another $800 set?

What kind of money can u build a top of the line crate car for and what kind of money do u win on a regular night ?????

12-15k and most tracks pay 500-1000 to win

It all depends on what you want to spend. You can have so much in it its unreal. If you fall for all the crap that you "need" this to pick up so much time. Or whatever you gonna spend way to much. I try not to keep track of it but i know. We bought a new car and at the end of the year we made $36 that's after paying for tires, fuel, and admission. Thought that was a great year for us

Quote Originally Posted by GRT62 View Post
    What about the guys that already have $2000 shocks. does it make since to make them go out and buy another $800 set?
    That's always the issue with outlawing parts that most people already have. When you enact a rule to get rid of something expensive, like shocks, and mandate some kind of "spec" part instead, you end up costing teams more money. It always affects the lowest budgeted teams the worst. It's the most ironic thing about racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    That's always the issue with outlawing parts that most people already have. When you enact a rule to get rid of something expensive, like shocks, and mandate some kind of "spec" part instead, you end up costing teams more money. It always affects the lowest budgeted teams the worst. It's the most ironic thing about racing.
    So then the thing to do is leave everything the same forever so as to not cost the few teams that have sunk $2000 into shocks (which could be resold to LLM or SLM teams for certainly $800 or more). There is documented success of limited shocks working in CLMs (To consistently high car counts) which is a division meant to be the most limited of Late Models.

The situation in Crate racing is pretty good currently. But I still think it can be improved. The idea of the division is to be an affordable alternative. At current they are SLMs with Crate Motors. There is no other type of racing that has a crate division that has no other rules restricting its cars other than the use of Crate motors.

As I mentioned before, the ACT Tour, NE Dirt Sportsman, Crate Mods (such as at Wythe) all restrict things beyond just the motor and with success. I think it would just make the division more affordable which is the ultimate goal.

Just my opinion as always.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

Crate lates were created to save money on motors not everything else on the car. I'm all for shock rules to prevent some of the new stuff out there such as 4way adjustables etc. Rush has done this and also outlawed the stacked deal on the rf.

Flagone, comments like that are what make it hard to take you guys seriously and I'll leave it at that.

Guys want to keep their adjustable shocks that aren't really that adjustable anyway then fine .... No more than 50lbs of rebound closed " Zero point " and rebound not to exceede 200 lbs before 12 IPS. And no more then 150lbs combined compression on the left rear shocks ... Problem solved and crates won't be glorified go carts anymore. Plus any shock would be legal as long as valved in those specs.

Quote Originally Posted by W2Racing09 View Post
    So then the thing to do is leave everything the same forever so as to not cost the few teams that have sunk $2000 into shocks (which could be resold to LLM or SLM teams for certainly $800 or more). There is documented success of limited shocks working in CLMs (To consistently high car counts) which is a division meant to be the most limited of Late Models.

The situation in Crate racing is pretty good currently. But I still think it can be improved. The idea of the division is to be an affordable alternative. At current they are SLMs with Crate Motors. There is no other type of racing that has a crate division that has no other rules restricting its cars other than the use of Crate motors.

As I mentioned before, the ACT Tour, NE Dirt Sportsman, Crate Mods (such as at Wythe) all restrict things beyond just the motor and with success. I think it would just make the division more affordable which is the ultimate goal.

Just my opinion as always.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

There's way, way more than a few teams running 2k (and bunch of teams spending way more than that) shocks in crate late models. They were legal from the jump, and even the low end teams have managed to get their hands on some (usually used stuff from a super team).

Mandating junk shocks doesn't address the costs in crate racing as much as you think, anyways.

The only thing any crate late model sanction has ever promised is reduced engine costs. Anybody who thinks it meant cheap racing is absolutely deluded.
    Last edited by Josh Bayko; 03-08-2015 at 10:37 AM.

I see know one knows what it cast I priced 2 cars new best money can buy! one was 60,000 the other was 72,000 I know of 3 team in the rush that has this to win 600.00 a night so I think it's out of hand ! when we ran steel block you could buy a good used car for 10.000 build a engine for 7500 and tire for 125.00 to win 600.00 and didn't pay all the fees

You want to know what the problem is with crates? They dont tech them. They never teched our track ONCE last year and they wonder why it failed. 3 or 4 cars CLEARLY to any moron within site of the track could see that their engines were far from a stock crate, and what did they do about it! SQUAT!