Default New track in Memphis Tn?

Seen on Facebook they are Building a brand new dirt track. I was wondering if anybody had more info on this like what classes are planning on running there and when it will be completed just curious if anyone has any info. The post on Facebook said it was going to be a state of the art track

305 & 360 Winged Sprint Cars, Super Late Models, Crate Late Models, Street Stocks, Open Wheel Modifieds, and the 600cc Mini Sprints are the classes, should be ready to open in summer if everything goes as planned. Ben Shelton is helping in the design, with Ben and a lot of other knowledgeable people running it I think it will be great. Here is the article about it....

http://www.onedirt.com/news/memphis-...ew-dirt-track/

And, I haven't asked anyone but according to everything I read they are making it above national touring series standards. So, I am hoping they can get some major late model shows at the track in 2016 and beyond. Memphis had always been a bigger sprint car town than late models but maybe they can get shows to satisfy both crowds during each season.

Back in the days of the 1/2 mile, 3/8th mile, and 1/4 mile there were some fantastic shows in the late model ranks. Unfortunately the Memphis fan base never saw it that way and it became more of a sprint car hotbed. But it still didn't take away from the fact that names like Billy Moyer, Wendell Wallace, Kevin gundaker, Wayne Brooks, Jerry Inmon, Larry Phillips, Randy and Jeff Floyd, and others would pop in on a weekly show just to earn them some lunch money. Sprint cars got strung out on the Interstate, late models raced it.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 Jay 53 View Post
    And, I haven't asked anyone but according to everything I read they are making it above national touring series standards. So, I am hoping they can get some major late model shows at the track in 2016 and beyond. Memphis had always been a bigger sprint car town than late models but maybe they can get shows to satisfy both crowds during each season.
    Cool sounds awesome

Any idea where this track is going to be located in Memphis? Down there they have areas where gumbo clay is easy to get. If this new track is built with gumbo look out, it could be bad fast!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MidTnDirtFan View Post
    Any idea where this track is going to be located in Memphis? Down there they have areas where gumbo clay is easy to get. If this new track is built with gumbo look out, it could be bad fast!
    It's where the big asphalt track is at that nascar ran at with the old Busch Series. Those folks decided to build a dirt track.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Talk about going full circle. The paved track was originally a 1/2 mile dirt track back in the 80's. They built the dirt track and the drag strip and later converted the dirt track to a paved track.

Hey guys, Ben has posted several links to stories of the step by step process that's been ongoing in the building of the track. Not sure how to get them to show up here, but a quick search should get you there.

Good to see Ben spending that kind of money on the sport we all know and love. We cant wait to see the first race.

Ben has some good articles about the track on onedirt.com

Yeah down there if its built on gumbo and prepared right it will find out who has a set if they can make their car go through the corner.. Because you have to man up to get through a turn right. But as most cases go.. Someone will hide the water trucks keys to make it slick instead of hammer down..

Find it here...http://www.racemir.com/
    They have a drag strip, road course, and a 3/4 mile asphalt oval. We road race with NASA there and it is a real nice facility. Dirt track will be located between the asphalt oval and the drag strip...

I think they said it was gonna be red clay