Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring change

Just got home from working on car and checked rear steer and it is set at 1 1/8". J-bar has 4.5" drop(Left chassis mount and ride side of pinion.

How are you checking steer? When something is that far off standard I always stand back and give it the eye. You can tell if it really has that much by backing up behind the car and looking at the wheels.

60". Motor also has been moved back to center. Have made some changes and will get car back on track in a few days. On a side note: How many RPM drop from a 6:48 to a 6:02?

4-500, but that will vary depending how your car handles.

OK, been gone for awhile. Ran car 2 weeks ago with some changes. Swapped springs in front(650 RF- 550LF) Car still uses all but 1/2 to 3/4 inch of travel. Also car had 165# of LR before and started out with 100#LR. Car entered a lot better but pushed on throttle at apex out during heat race. Took more LR out(about 35#) Car enters good and will take throttle immediately but at apex pushes straight to out side of track and I have to get off gas and back on. I race again on the 24th. Took a little more out of LR(now 50# LR). Also moved RR bar up one hole and changed RF to a 600 spring. Also noticed my rear stagger is only 1 1/2 inch: really want more like 2 1/2 inch so I'm going to my new tires for rear and see if I can get my stagger right.

More rear stagger should help your apex.

Thanks for reply.

Are your spear rods mounted on birdcages? If so, are they floated or solid? Thanks, just curious how you have so much drive.

On cages and floated. Has hellatious bite coming out. Now if I can just get it all the way around the corners. LOL

Thanks for the info. I think your going the right way with less bite and softer rf spring and more stagger.

Is that car a converted 3 or 4 link?
    Last edited by drtrkr244; 04-16-2015 at 08:25 PM.

Sorry to sound dumb, but what the Heck is a spear rod set up? I've never heard of such a thing lol

Basically, the trailing arm looks like a Y, which hooks to the top and bottom to a floated birdcage. Usually , you see them where a track allows only a 3 link.

Oh cool! Thank you!

seen that done on the RR, but never both sides.
    Were are springs? top of tubes, or on birdcage?
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Both on cages. LR short rod, RR long approx. 5 foot.

Aah haa! You are probly not making enough roll steer with that long of a trailing arm. You might have to shorten the rr a lot or put a lot of angle in it. I have seen that setup on asphalt cars, trying to minimize roll steer.

Had a practice day. Car was bad fast off the trailer. Only change I made today was changed RF spring from a 600# to 550#. Slightly better turning in. Going to buy a 500# and try that Friday. Track was dry slick so I think I'm in the ball park now and can try some small changes from here. What a relief to be able to drive car and not just along for the ride to wherever it wanted to go.

Had a practice day today. Car was bad fast off the trailer. Only change I made today was changed RF from a 600# to a 550#. Going to buy a 500# and try that Friday. What a relief to be able to drive car instead of just being along for the ride wherever the car wanted to take me. Track was dry slick so I think I'm in the ball park and ready to make small changes.