Default Another Dirt Guy Is Winning On Asphalt In A Stock Car

Looks like another dirt open wheel guy is making his mark in asphalt stock cars down South. Christopher Bell is one of the most exciting kids to watch in a midget and sprint car and that seems to be quickly transferring over to asphalt. Do we have another Kyle Larson here? Hope so!

Chase Elliott finishing 3rd made Bell's win even more impressive!!

Way to go Christopher!!

Bell Takes A Bite Out Of Rattler 250 Field

by NSSN Staff

OPP, Ala. – Christopher Bell is making his transition from dirt to asphalt racing look real easy at the start of the 2015 season. Bell brightly on Sunday, as he dominated the 39th Annual Rattler 250 at South Alabama Speedway in the season opener for the Southern Super Series.

Bell led early but surrendered the lead to Casey Smith on lap 110. He took the lead back from Smith on lap 156 and was uncontested to his biggest asphalt victory in his young career. Overall, he led 203 of the 250 laps in the dominating win.

“We led early on, which wasn’t in our plans, but it worked out that way after the big crash on the second lap,” Bell explained. “I like leading because you can set your own pace and choose the tempo of the race and save your tires. I knew how fast I could run with these tires.

“After we took two tires at the first break on lap 100, Casey got real good there. But we got to lap traffic and I was able to sneak by him.”

The 20-year-old from Norman, Okla. took the lead on lap two after a big wreck in turns three and four that collected many contenders.

On the second lap, polesitter Anderson Bowen was leading the field into turn three when Stephen Nasse made contact with him causing Bowen to spin.

Johnny Brazier, Chad Finley, Spencer Wauters, Bret Holmes, Daniel Hemric, William Byron, Cody Coughlin, Dominique Van Wieringen, Daniel Keene, and Cole Rouse all were collected in the melee in turns three and four.

After a red flag to clean up the accident scene, Bell took the lead until the first break on lap 100. After that break, Smith would get by Bell to lead the next 46 laps until Bell was able to put the famous No. 51 back on top of the scoring pylon then to victory lane.

Smith was very all smiles after his runner-up finish.

“We have had a lot of bad luck the past few years and it makes this even sweeter,” Smith said. “I wish we could have won it. Man it would be nice to win one of these big races, but Bell was awesome today.”

Chase Elliott made the trip from Phoenix to compete in the event. He started at the rear of the field and drove to a third place finish.

“We are definitely not satisfied, we have some work to do,” the 2014 NASCAR XFINITY Series champion said. “We were in a good spot to try to go and grab the win at the end of the race. I don’t know if I forgot how to short track race or if I ever knew how. I really appreciate Cale Gale, Ricky Turner and the rest of the guys on setting up the car and Ricky making the right adjustments during the race.”

Daniel Hemric came from starting 25th to finish fourth with Garrett Jones rounding out the top five.

The finish:

Christopher Bell, Casey Smith, Chase Elliott, Daniel Hemric, Garrett Jones, Ty Majeski, Harrison Burton, Anderson Bowen, Stephen Nasse, Augie Grill, Kyle Plott, Donnie Wilson, Jeremy Pate, Johnny Brazier, Cole Rouse, John Hunter Nemechek, Denver Foran, Dominique Van Wieringen, Dalton Sargeant, Casey Roderick, Cody Coughlin, Ross Kenseth, Bobby KnoxJr., Bubba Pollard, William Byron, Justin South, Hunter Baize, Steven Davis, Spencer Wauters, Kyle Grissom, Chad Finley, Bret Holmes, Daniel Keene Jr.

Congrats to the youngster!

Bell was at New Smyrna when I was there I believe in the KBR 51. He didn't do so well, I think they said it was his first start that night. From what I hear he is being talked as being the next Larson. I've seen him a good bit in a sprint, he's pretty tough.

Congrats to young cat!

Pretty big shoes to fill to be the next Larson!

Those certainly are some big shoes SFF15.

If Christopher Bell gets to Cup I really hope he follows in the footsteps of Larson and races some open wheel dirt track events every year like Larson does.

Guys like Larson are great ambassadors for dirt track open wheel racing and those guys racing on dirt when they can only helps to give some much needed exposure to short track dirt racing and the more that participate the better.