Thread: New Seat Belts

Default New Seat Belts

Another rookie post: The belts in the car I bought need to be replaced. I'm using the Defender HANS device and sometimes have trouble getting the 3 inch belts seated properly. There are several brands of belts that taper to 2 inches in the HANS area. Nesmith specifies "3 inch belts". Would these new belts not be allowed? They are rated the same. Also, Simpson belts are usually 75% higher than Crow, GForce and other comparable belts. Are Simpson belts really safer or just the paying for the name?

I've used Crow belts for the past 5 years of my racing experience (dirt and asphalt). I've had good luck out of mine.

Crow makes a belt that is specifically for the hans type systems.
    They use a 3" belt, and they roll it over and sew it were the neck restraint lays to like 2" wide.
    still a 3" belt.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

I run Hooker belts with the rachet lap belt. Gets the lap belt real tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Insane4 View Post
    I run Hooker belts with the rachet lap belt. Gets the lap belt real tight.
    I can't tell you how important this part is. I rolled my late model this past weekend at Volusia approximately 8 times. I came out completely uninjured. I run my belts good and tight and have high quality equipment. I also need to send a shout out to Rocket Chassis as their car held up very well. I will be buying another one. Not to say other cars are not just as safe but I'll stick with what I know. I had several people who have been around racing a long time tell me after the crash it was the most violent late model flip they had ever witnessed. Be safe. John 1*
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."
    — Heraclitus

Glad you're ok, would you mind sharing what your safety setup is? Containment seat? Neck Restraint? What kind of belts? etc. Just for an example. I run Nascar Sanction tracks and dirt stuff and man I've hit hard enough I swore I saw the back of my head. It definitely pays to spend the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by A ron View Post
    Also, Simpson belts are usually 75% higher than Crow, GForce and other comparable belts. Are Simpson belts really safer or just the paying for the name?
    Both have SFI 16.1 and 16.5 ratings. That means they meet the requirements laid out by SFI. I won't say you're just paying for a name but $60 G-force belts held a friend of mine in his seat in a 4-bounce barrel roll. Some of the materials may be of different quality but if SFI says it's supposed to hold 6,000 pounds of forces it must hold 6,000 pounds of force whether it be rubber bands of titanium alloy. Here are the differences between the two ratings: http://www.ehow.com/info_8758036_dif...i-161-165.html

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    Glad you're ok, would you mind sharing what your safety setup is? Containment seat? Neck Restraint? What kind of belts? etc. Just for an example. I run Nascar Sanction tracks and dirt stuff and man I've hit hard enough I swore I saw the back of my head. It definitely pays to spend the extra money.
    Simpson suit, Bell Dominator helmet, Bell gloves (which I see a lot of people not wearing), Impact belts, Kirkey professional but not full containment seat. I don't have a hans or similar device. I have been told you should use those in conjunction with a full containment seat. I am a big guy (6' 230 lbs.) and can't seem to find a full containment seat that I can get in and out of. I know I need one though. John 1*
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."
    — Heraclitus

Default Big

Quote Originally Posted by jrkracing54 View Post
    Simpson suit, Bell Dominator helmet, Bell gloves (which I see a lot of people not wearing), Impact belts, Kirkey professional but not full containment seat. I don't have a hans or similar device. I have been told you should use those in conjunction with a full containment seat. I am a big guy (6' 230 lbs.) and can't seem to find a full containment seat that I can get in and out of. I know I need one though. John 1*
    I am 6'4" and 240 with broad shoulders, could not afford the Lajoie, or custom made seat, so I bought a bolt on kit for my existing kirkey seat.
    bought it from Kirkey
    It has the 2 shoulder supports, and the head supportsystem.
    I bolted it onto my existing seat, and it fits very well. snug fit in car, but it fits.
    I fit it, and bolted it up outside car on the original install to the seat, then I have to disassemble it to get it in the car.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkracing54 View Post
    Have you tried the ultra shield fullContainment seats? I'm a big boy 6'2 290 and I fit good in the 18 inch seat they have. Only thing I had to do is porta power the rib part out a little bit. I've got mine in a warrior and get in and out of it pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwilson17w View Post
    Have you tried the ultra shield fullContainment seats? I'm a big boy 6'2 290 and I fit good in the 18 inch seat they have. Only thing I had to do is porta power the rib part out a little bit. I've got mine in a warrior and get in and out of it pretty good.
    Not to start an argument but have you considered how much that porta power compromised the integrity of that seat?

Matt considering that not long ago people were racing with seats that you could bend the rib supports several inches by hand and walked away from hard crashes I would have to think even after being " adjusted " with the port o power his seat is still 10x stronger than those old light weight kirkeys used to be ....