Default Columbus (MS) Speedway?

What ever happened to the Baddest Bullring in the South? One of the best races I ever saw was in like 2007ish and it was 20k to win at Columbus. I always liked that track. I know they still run, but why no big shows?

Different people operating the track now.. I 'm sure they will have a few in the future.. I'm like you that use to be the place to be for the big shows..

I think Johnny Stokes, aka "Dr. Dirt" (The former owner of Columbus Speedway), moved on to Magnolia Motor Speedway (also in Columbus).

One of these days, I want to head to Columbus or Magnolia.
    Last edited by Slideways; 03-27-2015 at 08:21 PM.
    Because Dirt's for Racin'...

Stokes just promoted the bullring.. I think if my memory is correct.. The singletons own it..

Thumbs up

I believe you are correct swartzman.
    Because Dirt's for Racin'...

Whatever the case may be, I love Columbus! Have made the long journey twice from my dwelling.... Wouldn't take a free charter flight and a VIP suite to watch a race at the skating rink down the road at Magnolia.

For a few years it was THE place to go. The 70 1/2 was worth the drive in hot laps alone.

I remember the 70 1/2 very well - do you know what ever happened to him?

I just remembered his name Anthony Rushing (70 1/2)

Rushing was the man. The "Kosciusko Kamikaze" never met a cushion he could not handle. Not sure what all happened with him. Just know that without him and the "wild child" James Dean around sheet metal might have been safer, but the show was missing some key ingredients.

Anthony I believe went to selling insurance after he drove some for the people who own'd cms speedway.. But heck yeah it was worth the price just to watch him time in.. Just about everybody there would stop what they were doing in the pits, and the stands would be on their feet.. He could get around that place that's for sure..

Some of the best races I've ever seen were at that track, one in particular was when the Southern allstars were there, and ol' RJ Ronnie Johnson made a slight error in qualifying and had to start the B-main which he won, then starting 17th in the feature, and in 40 laps took the win, one of the best driving clinics I've ever seen, he went high, then he went low, and everywhere in between!! I wish they would bring all their big money races back to that hammer down track...

Quote Originally Posted by GotDirt1313 View Post
    Some of the best races I've ever seen were at that track, one in particular was when the Southern allstars were there, and ol' RJ Ronnie Johnson made a slight error in qualifying and had to start the B-main which he won, then starting 17th in the feature, and in 40 laps took the win, one of the best driving clinics I've ever seen, he went high, then he went low, and everywhere in between!! I wish they would bring all their big money races back to that hammer down track...
    Was at that one myself. It was a classic for sure.

Billy - were you at the PTGP when it rained all day and they still tried to get the show in and Eschelman, Dglenn, Ben and a whole bunch of us were in the "tower" next to the announcers? Ross and Perry gave us looks all night long 'cuz we were cuttin' up and so loud....I've never laughed as hard as that night!

Oh, and the race turned out pretty good....the next day!
    www.ctcphotos.com

http://www.ctcphotos.com/hommel.htm

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Does anyone have a dirtstation account? I had one last year and it ran out before they decided to finally update their library. Wondering if any older Columbus races are on there or if the first colossal 100 from Charlotte is on there.

The answer to the 1st question is Magnolia. Some people like the the slick track racing. Columbus was hammer down every time I went, and I loved it. Nothing like watchin RJ come from the back, he's one of main reasons I'm such a dirt fan today... 40 something years later.
    "SLM Junkie"

Quote Originally Posted by bite me too View Post
    Billy - were you at the PTGP when it rained all day and they still tried to get the show in and Eschelman, Dglenn, Ben and a whole bunch of us were in the "tower" next to the announcers? Ross and Perry gave us looks all night long 'cuz we were cuttin' up and so loud....I've never laughed as hard as that night!

Oh, and the race turned out pretty good....the next day!

Nope, as many times as I went over there, I never went to a PTGP. Used to never miss a James King Memorial or Magnolia STATE 100. A few Rebel Challenge races which would have the best $2,000 field in history on the first night, and random other times.

Where you heading anytime soon? It's been too long, be nice to catch up. Whatever happened to Brett btw?

I live in New Hampshire now...y'all calling me a "(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) yankee" got to me! I had to come "home"!

I talked via 4m to Brett a year or so back...ain't heard hide nor hair of em since.

BOC has been missing for years too...perhaps that'll get him interested!
    www.ctcphotos.com

http://www.ctcphotos.com/hommel.htm

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan