Default Body/Chassis questian

I see 55-57 Chevys, 68-72 Chevells, 2000-2010 Monte Carlos, Grand Prix, a 1966 Corvair all running in the SS class at many tracks and I think it's cool but they all are built on a metric GM chassis which is not the factory chassis for those cars. I want to put a 70-81 Camaro body on my metric chassis but cant get an honest answer whether this is legal or not. If the cars I just mentioned are so should what I want to do. anyone care to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by 1bbmft View Post
    I see 55-57 Chevys, 68-72 Chevells, 2000-2010 Monte Carlos, Grand Prix, a 1966 Corvair all running in the SS class at many tracks and I think it's cool but they all are built on a metric GM chassis which is not the factory chassis for those cars. I want to put a 70-81 Camaro body on my metric chassis but cant get an honest answer whether this is legal or not. If the cars I just mentioned are so should what I want to do. anyone care to comment?
    One would think the car would be legal. It's going to be kind of hard for a track to tell you can't run but others can.

Now it may not be legal to what rules UMP has out but, if others are allowed to run their cars then I would say the track or tracks are not following UMP rules.

This is how others are getting away with it. GM frame, GM engine, GM body stock appearing. Not really getting away with nothing. This has been going on since I can remember. You will not be the 1st to put a Camaro body on a metric chassis. Put your car together and go racing. Don't put a ford body on a GM frame unless you run under IMCA rules.

If you're going to run UMP, it really don't matter. Just make sure you have your roller cam, and cheater alcohol or E-85 carb, and be prepared to buy new tires every night if you want to keep up. They don't check anything, anyways. A few years ago, a guy ran a Rambler body on a GM chassis all year, and I don't think anything was said about that.

Seriously, as stated above, if its GM engine, GM chassis, GM body, and buy your UMP license and lots of Hoosiers, I don't think you'll have any problems.

You guys nailed it, buy the UMP license and your fine. With the car counts down everywhere no promoter is gonna say "you can't run that". I'm tired of all the cars looking the same so that's my reason to put a Camaro body on the cars. I was the first in 2001 to put a 1997 Grand Prix body on my SS, everyone else was still running the 78-87 GM body cars.

Aren't you going to run I-mod this year? That's the best deal going and what everyone should have gone with instead of the various b-mod classes.

A few years ago I asked UMP if a shortened Crown Vic chassis would be legal with a T-bird body or if a shortened Caprice chassis would be legal with a Monte Carlo body. I didn't get a straight answer. Ask the promoters at the tracks you plan to race at. I don't think anyone is going to turn away cars.
    Support WEEKLY racing......while you still can!

Yes Pops I plan to run with the I mods at Kankakee this year but not knowing what will happen with that class will the rule changes and guys saying they are gonna park the cars and Shady Hill is to far from home and with who knows the future of Kankakee year to year with the fair board and promoters, I'm looking at my options and I can turn the I mod into a SS real quick. The I mods were the best thing going till the owner of the class decided to make changes (because a couple guys wanted change but the other 90% were happy with what we had) that has made all of us spend money we didn't have to spend. I've spend $3000 on two cars that were perfectly fine without the changes, money that I could have spent on things I would need during the year.

Roy screwed up big time by changing the I-mod rules for no good reason. He priced some racers out of the sport.
    It's too late now but the I-mod racers should have told the promoters at Shady Hill and KCS that they wanted to drop the I-mod sanction and run unsanctioned using the old rules.
    Support WEEKLY racing......while you still can!

I wonder how a Rambler engine and body on a metric chassis will go over?

I say go with a gremlin body!

Too late its already a Javelin.
    A serious answer to the op question... it really doesn't matter what you show up with if you smoke their asses you can bet you will be found illegal. If your a mid pack car they wont look twice..
    As far as the roller cams and e-85 bring it on..a roller and 2bbl doesn't make any difference other than lightening your wallet uneccessarily. e-85 should be legal anyway to help reduce costs..
    I cant wait for them to pull my distributor and check for a roller cam..
    Last edited by Hurst390; 03-30-2015 at 06:23 PM.

^^^^^^ Nice looking ride.Have them prove that AMC did not use GM frames and engines.LOL Unless you put a whippen on the track favorite you will be fine.Make UMP show you that it is not legal and the others are.JMO

Actually amc did use a gm frame in one particular car....
    My car has an amc engine...it matches the body and that's all that should matter to any tech guy
    Last edited by Hurst390; 03-31-2015 at 09:58 AM.