Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Since the F1 style qualifying process has been the procedure used I've made an appoint to ask NASCAR fans of all ages and genders if they like or dislike the F1 type qualifying. I haven't kept track but I would say I've posed the question to a minimum of 25 people, maybe a few more but no less, who admit they follow and enjoy NASCAR Cup racing. I've yet to have even just one say they believe the present qualifying procedure is more exciting and more enjoyable to watch, either in person or on TV.

I also have yet to have anyone make a valid case for the change being made other than "it's 2015 and NASCAR needs to be hip like Formula 1". Not one person with whom we've had a conversation has pointed out even one benefit to fans or the teams.

I think nascar just threw something at the wall hoping it would stick well it fell off, now they just need to admit it and go back to the old proven method.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Since the F1 style qualifying process has been the procedure used I've made an appoint to ask NASCAR fans of all ages and genders if they like or dislike the F1 type qualifying. I haven't kept track but I would say I've posed the question to a minimum of 25 people, maybe a few more but no less, who admit they follow and enjoy NASCAR Cup racing. I've yet to have even just one say they believe the present qualifying procedure is more exciting and more enjoyable to watch, either in person or on TV.

I also have yet to have anyone make a valid case for the change being made other than "it's 2015 and NASCAR needs to be hip like Formula 1". Not one person with whom we've had a conversation has pointed out even one benefit to fans or the teams.

CIRF, That is probably because you are asking the hard core older NASCAR fans. I enjoyed the old way of qualifying also. I learned a long time ago that you have to go with the flow. If NASCAR decided to go to the new way of qualifying, it must of been for good reason. I don't think NASCAR would go out on a limb, implementing the new qualifying method if it was going to ruin Nascar. Like I say, there are so many different types of NASCAR fans, it is very hard for the normal fan to wonder why they change the rules. Go NASCAR!!!

I really don't care if they all have to qualify backwards in your olds vista cruiser station wagon Mr. Crayon eater!!!!

The results will be and are the same..................seats are empty , and no matter what kind of spin you put on it, you can't hide that fact.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    I really don't care if they all have to qualify backwards in your olds vista cruiser station wagon Mr. Crayon eater!!!!

The results will be and are the same..................seats are empty , and no matter what kind of spin you put on it, you can't hide that fact.

I thought you liked Clayton, bbq? Why would you call Clayton a crayon eater while he is driving along in his black olds vista cruiser station wagon? Times are changing bbq. Plus the seats are getting emptier more and more at all the major sporting facilities. Baseball, hockey, basketball and tong throwing just to name a few.

So let them keep implementing " new coke" style changes into nascar and see where it takes them.......

Hopefully a fan revolt will shake the kingdom of France to it's knees...........like with " new coke" , the people will really decide!!!...........many already have.

You and mud enjoy yourself with your pick of any seat you want, you both deserve each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Track*UMP View Post
    I thought you liked Me again BBQ??? Why would you call Me a crayon eater because all I have to drive is mommas old black olds vista cruiser station wagon? Times are changing bbq, just like momma does my adult size pampers these days........Plus my friend list is getting emptier more and more all the time........hell, major sporting facilities like Baseball, hockey, basketball and tong throwing events have actually banned me from coming because of my whole irritable bowel /diaper situation..........you and blackie just to name a few, are two people that I aspire to be like.......thanks so much for trying to get me to do right and not giving up on me.....

Awwwwww, I'm blushing DC...............

CIRF, That is probably because you are asking the hard core older NASCAR fans. I enjoyed the old way of qualifying also. I learned a long time ago that you have to go with the flow. If NASCAR decided to go to the new way of qualifying, it must of been for good reason. I don't think NASCAR would go out on a limb, implementing the new qualifying method if it was going to ruin Nascar. Like I say, there are so many different types of NASCAR fans, it is very hard for the normal fan to wonder why they change the rules. Go NASCAR!!!
    I can't say for certain that I've posed the question to any 20 something fans but I know I've asked several fans in their 30's.

In regards to going with the flow, I went with the flow many years ago. The flow I speak of is the flow away from NASCAR, of fans who lost interest and no longer pay much attention to NASCAR. Used to go to 3 to 4 races every year but haven't gone to a Cup race since 2003, which was the last year of a legitimate Cup champion.

Been to Daytona, Talladega, Michigan, Texas, California, Homestead, Las Vegas and Indianapolis. But now, we live less than 50 miles from a speedway that hosts a "chase" race and have never attended it and the place is routinely half empty so tickets would not be a problem!

They used to host an Indy Car race and we went to the Indy Car race every year (which was some of the best racing we'd ever seen) but have never been to a Cup race there. International Speedway Corporation even screwed up the Indy Car deal, they pretty much ran the Indy Cars off when it was by far the best racing at the track and the crowd was not substantially smaller than the Cup crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by drano View Post
    I think nascar just threw something at the wall hoping it would stick well it fell off, now they just need to admit it and go back to the old proven method.
    Yep I agree back to the Meth Lab. To figure things out.

Just to let you know Mud, I do also like NASCAR with the new way of qualifying. This is 2015, where there are many many types of different NASCAR fans. The qualifying might not be good for one fan, but maybe 100 other fans love it. Go Nascar!!! Sorry for the interruptions of the thread!!
    Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You ladies make a very cute couple................

Enjoy the races !!!

BBQ by viewership I meant not only the tv numbers but number of fans in the stands. I get that they don't fill the seats but look at the seating capacity at the tracks now compared to 30 years ago. As long as the sponsorship and tv money keeps flowing in the doors at NASCAR they will be fine. I too think the racing in NASCAR was at it's best in the late 70's through the army 90's but I still watch because so so racing is better than no racing at all. If I got my choice I will attend a dirt track over NASCAR but most all race fans would.

So so racing is better than none at all............great statement, and oh so true!!

And it's not the racing element that I don't care for, it's the scripted " new coke" ideas that the guys running the show are implementing and the corporate America " lobbyist " style behind the scenes takeover of nascar.

Nascar has taken a direct page from Washington...........the lobbyist buy the congress....and the White House loves the " new coke" it's peddling to everyone.
    Last edited by Barbecueboy; 04-05-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    So so racing is better than none at all............great statement, and oh so true!!

And it's not the racing element that I don't care for, it's the scripted " new coke" ideas that the guys running the show are implementing and the corporate America " lobbyist " style behind the scenes takeover of nascar.

Nascar has taken a direct page from Washington...........the lobbyist buy the congress....and the White House loves the " new coke" it's peddling to everyone.
    I too, would agree with the statement that bad racing is better than none at all.

That said, I feel compelled to echo BBQB's evaluation. NASCAR has become exceedingly difficult to watch due to the contrived and convoluted rules bought and paid for by the big money in NASCAR. The comparison to bought and paid for politicians and bureaucrats is good and genuine.

As far as the "new coke" analogy is concerned, there is a "snort" bloomquist joke there for the taking.

Come on now, I'm only kidding!! Hehehehe!!

So the racing was better back in the 70's when King Richard would have a 5 lap lead over the closest competitor and come into the pits for a cigarette and a drink before taking the checkers
    8/13/16

Since I was a kid I hated quailifying and I still hate watching quailifying no matter what the format is or was but, I especially hate the old single car format so, I would have yo say I like the new format better of the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    So the racing was better back in the 70's when King Richard would have a 5 lap lead over the closest competitor and come into the pits for a cigarette and a drink before taking the checkers
    Yes it was...

The 80's was the high water mark in NASCAR in my thinking. The cars looked more like a "real" car back then. I think the last year they ran an actual OEM windshield was 1987, since then they are 100% pure race cars, but for a belly pan.

Quote Originally Posted by drano View Post
    Yes it was...
    do you enjoy seeing the winner cross the checkers 3-5 laps ahead of the second place car?
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Or when Pearson would actually light one while racing with one hand and waive by by with the other......

I'm with the other poster..........the Yarborough holly farms Laguna, the polish victory lap,the waltrip regal era,the early Earnhardt days, the very early jeff Gordon days,million dollar bill,riverside raceway to start the season, Tim Richmond,north wilkesboro,rockingham,the Alabama gang, hoss Ellington,etc, etc,etc.......

Yeah, .........it was better.