Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new to quick change. need advice

I need tips and suggestions to avoid another failure. Six laps into a heat race herd bang n drive shaft broke free from the rear yoke. Further inspection in pits shows half teeth missing on the lower spur gear and rear cover broke. In the shop I see quick change yoke broke. And high low dog ring broke in transmission.

All new stuff?

sounds like the quick change gear broke and started the hole mess, check the gears close and make shur there a match set, I've seen a miss match set explode, possible a bad set of gears also

Default only the new spur gears.

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    All new stuff?
    the spur gears set 8q were new the rest has been to battle before

something jammed to cause all that damage, had a pinion gear break on a 9" ford rear and broke about everything you listed, open the rear make shur nothing jammed between the ring and pinion, also had a pinion bearing jam in the ring and pinion on a sprint car and blew the entire rear section off.

i have put my 9" stuff back in the car for this weekend and giving the quick change a time out. I think the spur gears broke stopping the rear quickly. bad set of gears yikes hope I don't have two bad sets.

did the rear cover look like a bearing may have come apart then exploded and cracked cover, that's what it sounds like.

Default cover issues

Quote Originally Posted by rakracing View Post
    did the rear cover look like a bearing may have come apart then exploded and cracked cover, that's what it sounds like.
    the rear cover looks like the lower bearing was shoved down when the broken teeth went between the two gears. the aluminum let go. the bearing is still intact. but the rear cover cracked and a chunk fell off.

I have the transmission fixed and a new drive shaft in. I put my 9" from last year back in. racing Saturday and sunday so if those go smooth I will work on the quick change next week. those gears were from speedway the box didn't say a brand name or such. the other gears I have are quarter master and one chester set.

since you don't need it right away, i'd split the rear and check it all, the toughest parts are the ring and pinion and if something got in there the small stuff usually looses

There are a lot of cheap gears out there. I feel bad for guys buying them those are only good for 20-30 nights before they show significant wear and you need to toss them. Most anytime you junk a gear youll ruin the cover and or brgs...

I talked to pem about their gears and the guy wouldn't even say what material they are made of, said in between the two everyone else uses.. sounded like pop cans from china to me.

I am only running the rem finished lightweight 9310 gears in my rear, I think its worth the extra cost to buy them once.
    Last edited by stock car driver; 05-01-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Just FYI , we ran PEM's REM polished gears all last season on the Lucas tour without issue whatsoever . I was suprised at how cool they stay, I could change'em bare handed after qualifing and had to more than a few times . They have a good deal if you buy three sets at a time .

http://www.pemracing.com/QCGears.html

thanks for the replies. last weekend I used my 9" raced sat won heat and lead 11 laps before rr tire went down and eventually came apart. this is not my season. the quick change cover should be here Monday and still need a yoke and a few orings possibly get that thing in soon as its really unmotivating to change the 9" gears now. after seeing the light

Quote Originally Posted by TALON75 View Post
    Just FYI , we ran PEM's REM polished gears all last season on the Lucas tour without issue whatsoever . I was suprised at how cool they stay, I could change'em bare handed after qualifing and had to more than a few times . They have a good deal if you buy three sets at a time .

http://www.pemracing.com/QCGears.html
    Im sure lots of people run them, they are the CHEAPEST gear out there that's rem finished... Which stands to reason since they are NOT made with the same quality metals that the others are made with.

U can polish a turd and its still a turd.

I never recommend the cheapest parts out there, I prefer quality products.

Id buy a Honda over a kia etc...

oh sorry, I forgot.... you're right as always, all hail the king of racing knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by TALON75 View Post
    oh sorry, I forgot.... you're right as always, all hail the king of racing knowledge!
    whats there to be right about? Im sharing information and opionion.

No need for you to be such a dik head.

Buying a quality piece the first time is always faster and cheaper in the long run, especially with racing parts.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Im sure lots of people run them, they are the CHEAPEST gear out there that's rem finished... Which stands to reason since they are NOT made with the same quality metals that the others are made with.

U can polish a turd and its still a turd.

I never recommend the cheapest parts out there, I prefer quality products.

Id buy a Honda over a kia etc...
    They are the same price as the ones you are pushing... You have admitted you never used the product. So bow out and say I use X brand and they have been great. So in closing it appears PEM wouldn't make you a dealer so you come here and slam them.

They are the same price as the ones you are pushing... You have admitted you never used the product. So bow out and say I use X brand and they have been great. So in closing it appears PEM wouldn't make you a dealer so you come here and slam them.
    Read my posts. I called PEM about their product and they would not say what metal was used period.. I can be a dealer for anyone I want, I choose who I deal with and which products I choose to use and sell. All this is posted above.

I CHOOSE to not sell products that are not going to be made consistently from the same materials over and over or from a material that clearly isn't as good as everyone elses..

I am not pushing anything, I don't need to sell a single part for the rest of my life. I choose to sell some parts to help some people save some money, either way I run my racing as a business and it works for me just fine with or without any sales to the public or my friends. Last year I only sold 113k in parts so at 25% clearly that's not enough income to sweat vs the time it takes.

Why would someone buy unknown material (some where between 8640 and 9310 their words) brand vs known high quality 9310 material?

Why is it that when I post my opinion on anything so many of you have such a cry fest about it? But your opinion matters? Ive seen your pics of your junk powerslide and your car looks as though you have a budget of zero and skills even less when it comes to making a body hanging a body etc.
    Last edited by stock car driver; 05-01-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Ive seen your pics of your junk powerslide and your car looks as though you have a budget of zero and skills even less when it comes to making a body hanging a body etc.
    As the oh great one would say "Thanks for being a fan"

As the oh great one would say "Thanks for being a fan"
    Nobody has to be a fan you've got links to your junk right in every single post you make!