CARTERSVILLE, GA – The NeSmith Racing Family of officials, tracks, competitors, sponsors and fans are mourning the passing this morning of Talladega Short Track Co-Owner/Promoter Alfred Gurley after a long illness. He was 82-years-old.

Mr. Gurley built Talladega Short Track in 1977, and with partner Lynn “Preacher” Phillips molded it into what was named in 1989 by the USA Today Newspaper “One of the best dirt tracks in the United States.” Mr. Gurley shared the Racing Promoters Monthly National Promoter of the Year Award with Phillips in 2008, and the pair were also the RPM Southeastern Promoters of the Year for three years running in 2006, 2007, and 2008.

The presence of Alfred Gurley will be missed by everyone that has ever set foot on Talladega Short Track through the years, and his strong bond with the NeSmith Racing family of racing series and officials runs deep.

“Under the guidance of Alfred Gurley, Talladega Short Track has played an important role in the growth and success of NeSmith Racing since 2006,” NeSmith Racing Founder and CEO Mike Vaughn said. “Alfred was always willing to try anything we put out there beginning with the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series Touring Division, followed by the NeSmith Chevrolet Weekly Racing Series, and then the Chevrolet Performance Super Late Model Series and the NeSmith/AR Bodies Street Stock Division.”

The NeSmith Racing Series Director Adam Stewart was very close to Mr. Gurley through the years, as he got his start as a racing official as a very young man under the direction of Mr. Gurley.

“I owe everything I’ve done in racing to Alfred Gurley, as he took a chance on a young boy, made him a track official at Talladega Short Track, and no matter what I did good, wrong or indifferent, Alfred always backed me up,” Stewart said. “Alfred Gurley was a Grandfather figure to me through the years. He let me stay at his house, he let me borrow his truck, he was always there for me, and I’m going to miss him.”

Both Vaughn and Stewart said that when the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series visits Talladega Short Track next weekend with the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series, there will be a big void there without Alfred Gurley, but they will race on in his honor. The thoughts and prayers of all involved with NeSmith Racing are with the Gurley family.

For more information and rules about the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series, visit the series web site at www.nesmithracing.com, or visit the series on Facebook at NeSmith Racing. Becoming a fan of the NeSmith Racing Facebook page will make you eligible for special prizes that will be given away each month. You can follow us on Twitter @NeSmithRacing.

NeSmith Chevrolet, Buick, GMC of Claxton, GA is the Title Sponsor of the NeSmith Late Models. NeSmith Chevrolet, Buick, GMC is the nation’s number one GM Powertrain and Performance Dealer six years running, with free delivery anywhere in the Southeast. Chevrolet Performance Parts is an Official Sponsor of the NeSmith Late Models. Hoosier Racing Tire is the Official Tire Sponsor of the NeSmith Late Models. RockAuto.com is an Official Sponsor of the NeSmith Late Models. Racecar Engineering is the Official Parts Supplier of the NeSmith Late Models. Beyea Headers is the NeSmith Late Model Hard Charger Sponsor. Sunoco Race Fuels is the Official Race Fuel of the NeSmith Late Models. Panama City Cycles is the Official ATV Provider of the NeSmith Late Models. AR Bodies is an Associate Sponsor of the NeSmith Late Models. NeSmith Late Model Contingency Sponsors for 2015 are CrateInsider.Com and Image Screen Printing. 2015 Chassis Sponsors are Trak-Star Race Cars, Warrior Race Cars, Rocket Chassis, GRT Race Cars, TNT Race Cars, and CVR Race Cars.