Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Default Mod - Car Counts - Central Illinois

As a Mod Fan, I guess I am a little concerned about the low car counts at some of the tracks we travel to throughout the season. These are the number of Mods that were listed in the Features from this last weekends results:

Friday - May 1
    Fayette County - 10
    Farmer City - 17
    Vermilion County - ? (cannot find results anywhere, but FB posts indicate low count)

Saturday - May 2
    Charleston - 11
    Macon - 11
    Route 45 - 11 (This was a $1,500 to win special)
    Fairbury - 20

I am hopeful that this is just an early season trend and the counts get better for all. There are a lot more Mods out there than LM's and my hope is that they remain a stronghold for these tracks.

Too expensive for the payouts!! Motors out of control!!

we have a 08 shaw sitting in race shop right now. has not been raced in two years. cant compete with 30,000 dollar motors, 1,000 dollar shocks, exc. normal person cant do it. cant make it on show up money. love the mods but ump and others have made it that way. enforce rules, make them for EVERYONE!!! mods are soon to be a thing of the past. car counts? they are down. why, cars like mine sitting, 4 to 5 people not going and paying 35 dollars for a pit pass, food, exc. track owners better take control of this or bye bye mods, then tracks. j.m.o.!

where you from dirtmod#8? Run a crate class???

if crate is the only option then we will change classes or get out. suspension and tires are what really needs to change here.

were racing crate class and having fun

Davenport had close to 40 last Friday, 4 full heats, 2 B-mains, and I think they started 22 cars. No big payout, just 1st week of points racing.

I think if tracks would pay crate mods around $400-$600 they would get more cars than they could support just take a regular mod and put in a crate motor and police them .. and on a Hard Tire..... jmo

Oh, you mean run IMCA...it's funny but it's actually working in central Iowa. Hardcore open motor guys have switched to the crate motors. Not all, but enough. And you can't beat the reliability of them. Davenport, mentioned above, is IMCA, so there's that going on in the eastern part of the state too.
    Last edited by MotoMatt; 05-05-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoMatt View Post
    Oh, you mean run IMCA...it's funny but it's actually working in central Iowa. Hardcore open motor guys have switched to the crate motors. Not all, but enough. And you can't beat the reliability of them. Davenport, mentioned above, is IMCA, so there's that going on in the eastern part of the state too.
    the IMCA deal is fine, because at least the crate engine is an option. The Bmod deal with UMP is a forced crate deal, making the weight deal such that you have no choice but to run a crate with every year adding more weight. At least with IMCA its your choice, and they are on a hard tire too. bring it on.

my opinion would be run any suspension ... 365 cubic inch or smaller on 2barrell ( No Roller Cam) or crate on 4barrell run them on Hoosier A-40 or a G60 Tire... and let them race

There ya go

Like I said it won't be long if they can get all tracks on the same set of rules and a decent payout the B- Mods will out number the A-Mods

Quote Originally Posted by indyboywilliam View Post
    my opinion would be run any suspension ... 365 cubic inch or smaller on 2barrell ( No Roller Cam) or crate on 4barrell run them on Hoosier A-40 or a G60 Tire... and let them race
    What about a shock rule yea or ney?

shock rule is needed.. Whats wrong with the current IMCA rules ? no roller cams, chip rule and hard tire and a break for running crates. This would allow current cars to run with QCs and keep cost down. Only issue would be no alluminum heads but short of that decent rules that would allow the current cars. Seems to work good in a lot of places. What I can see is the UMP is not helping and current plan is not working, the car counts speak to this.

1. Rules that limit HP only cause those with money to spend it to get around them.
    2. Two barrels(no, see #1)
    3. How much more does a 3.75 stroke crank cost vs and 3.48 stroke? CI limiting is HP limiting and when you start limiting HP the guys who spend money on the dyno are going to dominate cause they found that last 20hp(see 1).

I'm not in UMP country but guys we have 3 mod classes at 1 of our local tracks this is bad all around promoter has 3 payouts and the class is cut up. 10 IMCA cars, 10 USRA cars and 15-20 Southern/northern sportmods(they run together) along with the other 2 full body classes and whatever else shenanigans they are running that night.

I have heard this rules that limit HP makes things worse theory before. What I do know is that the current situation with UMP and no rules is NOT working at all. There needs to be something in place. A hard tire would be a good place to start. The current alphabet soup of A, versus D depending on where you are racing is not helping things either. IMCA is not limiting HP other than a chip and steel heads and no roller cam, pretty simple rules. Dudes with the bucks are going to spend them no matter what. The key is to make the rules so that all at least feel as though they have a fair shot and can show up and compete without breaking the bank, so that cars arent sitting at home. In UMP land right now that is NOT the case...30k motor and out of control costs and tire prices that are high and ZERO tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    1. Rules that limit HP only cause those with money to spend it to get around them. 2. Two barrels(no, see #1) 3. How much more does a 3.75 stroke crank cost vs and 3.48 stroke? CI limiting is HP limiting and when you start limiting HP the guys who spend money on the dyno are going to dominate cause they found that last 20hp(see 1). I'm not in UMP country but guys we have 3 mod classes at 1 of our local tracks this is bad all around promoter has 3 payouts and the class is cut up. 10 IMCA cars, 10 USRA cars and 15-20 Southern/northern sportmods(they run together) along with the other 2 full body classes and whatever else shenanigans they are running that night.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    What about a shock rule yea or ney?
    Last time I read the joke of UMP rules, there was a claim rule on shocks. Quit reading them a few years ago, so they may have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDirtCrazy View Post
    As a Mod Fan, I guess I am a little concerned about the low car counts at some of the tracks we travel to throughout the season. These are the number of Mods that were listed in the Features from this last weekends results:

Friday - May 1
    Fayette County - 10
    Farmer City - 17
    Vermilion County - ? (cannot find results anywhere, but FB posts indicate low count)

Saturday - May 2
    Charleston - 11
    Macon - 11
    Route 45 - 11 (This was a $1,500 to win special)
    Fairbury - 20

I am hopeful that this is just an early season trend and the counts get better for all. There are a lot more Mods out there than LM's and my hope is that they remain a stronghold for these tracks.
    Say it ain't so!! I've been predicting this for a few years now and no one wants to hear it. This happened almost 10 years ago now in Texas and it's coming due to racers pricing themselves out. In the Houston area, 10 years ago there were 6 tracks that ran UMP modifieds as the headline show on a weekly basis. Now, there aren't ANY! Most of the A-mod drivers now run Southern Sport mods if they run at all. 1 track, Willis Tx, now runs IMCA sanctioned in an attempt to try to salvage the class. We'll see how that goes, but if UMP doesn't do something, Driggers and Co will be sitting home trying to figure out what to do each weekend because it won't be racing.

I know what you guys are saying but car counts are down in most very classexcept maybe late models where its stable as far as the mods put them on three link and h's all the way around and I would make the ct 525 an option