Thread: Chain on 3 link

Default Chain on 3 link

What will happen to car when you shorten chain on imca sportmod i understand it will limt rear steer but will it have any other effect on car.

They run a chain on the left rear ? Why

IMCA sportmods aren't allowed to run a chain.

Apparently they changed the rule. I hadn't read anything official, but the rulebook states this now:

11. REAR SUSPENSION: All components must be steel. No covers allowed. All mounts and brackets must be welded or bolted solid. Coil springs must remain
    vertical and over center line of rear-end housing. No coil-over eliminators allowed. No chains, cables or tethers.
    Exception is: solid safety chains securely
    mounted frame to axle housing only (cannot be mounted to any floating device), no springs or rubbers allowed.

karl must have built sportmods with chains, it seems whatever they do it becomes the rule..

IMCA put out a statement early this week. Sport mods can now run a solid chain on the left rear. I am also curious the effects this can have on handling or setup.

if it truly is meant as a safety chain and not a suspension tuning device then it should not be allowed to be tight with the car jacked up and suspension hanging on the shocks or within 1/2 inch from that

They claimed it's to keep from using the shocks as a limiting device. Shocks were not designed to limit suspension travel.
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

YES the chain is now legal ran it last night i set it to 1 inch of full shock extension. i think you can use it as a tuning device just haven't had a enough test time yet

IMCA is a joke.. people have been telling them shocks aren't built for limiters since 2004..ten years later they change the rule, during the season... and to then try and disguise it as a safety matter, which is flat insulting to every ones intelligence..

IF it were a safety item it would be MANDATORY. IF it were a safety issue then wouldn't it be mandatory in modifieds, stock cars, hobby stocks and even sport compacts? Rear ends have fallen out of all of those at events Ive been at.
    Last edited by stock car driver; 05-10-2015 at 04:11 PM.

Depends if the chain is vertical or horizontal. vertical if to short I believe it pulls the Lr off the Ground , horizontally I feel it limits rear steer more so than bar angle.