Default Grooving front tires?

I have been noticing some right front tires in pictures from different tracks that only have circumference cuts (no cross or angle cuts). Was wondering what the purpose of that is? Anyone want to share?

I feel like it helps with the steering capability of the tires, especially if there's some moisture in the track and you're a little tight.
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 05-09-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Its been proven, you always want some angled grooves in the front tires. How many depends on compound and track condition.

Quote Originally Posted by 25drtrkr View Post
    Its been proven, you always want some angled grooves in the front tires. How many depends on compound and track condition.
    I have never proved it to myself.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I'm certainly not an engineer, so I'll just give you the formulas for it, and you use it as you see fit: Fc=square root of(Fx x Fx plus Fl x Fl), and a=arctan(Fx/Fl). You can find these in the Theories of Traction by CP Furney, P.E.. Hes the only engineer I know of that has diffused many mysteries of dirt racing.

It definitely wont make a 10th place car a winner. But I remember a quote from Bloomquist a few years ago that said " I look for a few hundredths here and a few hundredths there. Pretty soon I have found a tenth." As you and I know, a 1/10 second will win you some races. I encourage you to read this mans book. It is strictly about dirt racing engineering principles. There is a lot of technical math there but you don't really have to understand all that to help your racecar.His principles have changed dlm racing the past few years, yet he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

not proven here either... Ive tried circ only and some cross and fronts always work better with just circ.

always found circ grooves are for steering and the cross are more for braking, same as rear tires cross drives the car.

For those of you who are interested in the technical side of knowing how to maximize your tires traction, get the book and follow his directions. After being taught wrong by some of the best in the business, I too, have had to change. Here are a few things you will learn: 1)how to measure a tacks turn radius' for proper stagger (inc all types of track conditions, 2)there are 2 different kinds of slick tracks and require different setups 3) the effects of soil shearing on available traction, 4) when and where to increase weight transfer, 5) percentage of grooving for different track conditions. I am 100% safe in saying that you will learn things that will make your car handle better. If you are in to the technical side, there is plenty of algebraic and trig math to prove his points.

For those of you who are interested in the technical side of knowing how to maximize your tires traction, get the book and follow his directions. After being taught wrong by some of the best in the business, I too, have had to change. Here are a few things you will learn: 1)how to measure a tacks turn radius' for proper stagger (inc all types of track conditions, 2)there are 2 different kinds of slick tracks and require different setups 3) the effects of soil shearing on available traction, 4) when and where to increase weight transfer, 5) percentage of grooving for different track conditions. I am 100% safe in saying that you will learn things that will make your car handle better. If you are in to the technical side, there is plenty of algebraic and trig math to prove his points.
    Okay. I'm interested in this book you speak of but Google doesn't think it exists. How does one get this book? The only book I can find by the author is the tire book that is also next to impossible to get a copy of (out of print). Help a brother out.

Matt I had a hard time finding the book too, ended up locating it at a library in FT.Wayne Indiana through google searches I believe. I had my local library get it for me. I was only able to keep it for a week though.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/select.../oclc/50446140
    Last edited by BlackMagic; 05-11-2015 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Found Link

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Okay. I'm interested in this book you speak of but Google doesn't think it exists. How does one get this book? The only book I can find by the author is the tire book that is also next to impossible to get a copy of (out of print). Help a brother out.
    Yeah...that's it Matt. I quoted out of one of the chapters. The name of it is Selection & Application of Late Model Dirt Racing Tires. Its several years old now. The tire sections are based on the Hoosier D-xx compounds. Mine came from Steve Smith Autosports.

Clear out your pm's, Matt49