Default Need ignition suggestions

I have 389cu in small block Chevy 14 to 1 compression it was ran last year. it is one of my family's race motors. Ccarburetor is a C&S 780 2 barrel ran great last week. Trying to race under full throttle it would backfire & misfire bad. I checked the carburetor over the distributor checked everything over can't figure it out. Plugs look good. Replacing plugs, and ordering new distributor as mine is old. It's a flamethrower d1000Looking for a recommendation to a good non money breaking distributor to run...has to be hei only. Turning 8200rpms. Complete noobie first race last week. Please help.

If it has to be HEI, I would go with a MSD8365. Ya it costs more, but consider this, we jumped into a stock car last week for a 2K to win race, we thought we had it in the bag but in the feature the cheap Dist retarded timing and that was that. Would have been glad to spend the 400.00 on it, but it wasnt our car, so....... Get what you pay for. Buy some piece of mind.

Dave
    Last edited by Racer96m; 05-10-2015 at 06:54 AM.
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

DUI makes some nice HEI's that can turn up to 10,000rpm. That was my choice when I had to run hei.

Back to your running problem, you can waste A LOT of time and money throwing parts at a running problem. If anyone in your area has a chassis dyno its money very well spent to put it on the dyno and figure out whats going on. Its only gonna take one pull to figure out if its fuel or ignition. Take some spare or borrowed parts with you to swap out and retest things. You can figure out most issues in a couple hours. Eric

Pertronix d1070. Decent price. Dont waste the money on DUI. Overpriced junk. We've tried msd, pertronix and dui on the dyno. All were within a couple hp of each other. Pertronix was the best DUI worst.

Stockcar5....your the second person Ive seen now have poor results with a DUI, I'm starting to think things have changed there. How long ago did you do the testing? Its been about 6 yrs since I ran one but at the time it had some of the best results of all the ones we tested. Eric