Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Match Races

Hmm didn't know that speed thanks

Wikipedia. But you're welcome bro!

Iowa track, maybe Oskaloosa, does this as part of a sprint car special and someone has a mod race one on one, could be IMCA Super Nationals at Boone, Iowa, dont remember for sure. From what I've seen on videos it was all about who got the jump or which lane was best that particular night. For the most part two laps of not very exciting racing, can't imagine late models being much better.

Quote Originally Posted by kazual View Post
    Iowa track, maybe Oskaloosa, does this as part of a sprint car special and someone has a mod race one on one, could be IMCA Super Nationals at Boone, Iowa, dont remember for sure. From what I've seen on videos it was all about who got the jump or which lane was best that particular night. For the most part two laps of not very exciting racing, can't imagine late models being much better.
    I agree for the most part it will be the starts. I could see some stuff getting tore up going into 1 with guys like O'neal Richards babb probably get some dirty sliders and a lot of hurt feelers

I would pay 100 bucks a ticket to see a match race event...............there are several one on one match ups that I would even pay more to see!!!
    EVERYBODY HAS A GAME PLAN, UNTIL THEY GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE.......M.T

Maybe need to do standing starts to prevent any controversy.

Yeah, have some hot babe standing between the cars with only a green flag on. When she jumps in the air you fire off.

Thank you, but no thank you. I'll pass on a boring match race.

Yeah, it's probably best to leave this to the asphalt slappers who are only good at running a straight line. If I was a car owner I probably wouldn't enter this. I think the chuby cheby guy wanted to drew attention to himself, and this was the best he could come up wit at the time.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    Thank you, but no thank you. I'll pass on a boring match race.
    I think it would be pretty interesting if they did a whole event in brackets of match racing.........

Start with 20 ,run 5 lap dashes and then whittle it down to the final two to settle the score at the end of the night.
    Tires only get changed for the final match up.

Will never happen, but could be some very interesting 5 lap dash events to get to the final two.

Would change the decisions that the drivers would need to make versus what they would make in a normal 50 lapper against the field................similar to the different strategies that golfers use when playing match play versus medal play.

A lot more " go for it" scenarios in match play.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Zone View Post
    Yeah, have some hot babe standing between the cars with only a green flag on. When she jumps in the air you fire off.
    Now that's thinking like a promoter!

Although I think the match race concept is fun to think about, we're fortunate to follow a sport that has hot laps and qualifying which are pretty close to that idea. We also have heats and consi races before the main event. Granted that isn't a One on One bracket styled system, but it's a lot closer then you get in other forms of motorsport.

From my own perspective I'd like to see more cars on the track at one time then fewer...especially at half mile tracks. Again, it's an interesting concept. Maybe a local track could try the idea out and see if it catches on.

Quote Originally Posted by Okfine View Post
    I think it would be pretty interesting if they did a whole event in brackets of match racing......... Start with 20 ,run 5 lap dashes and then whittle it down to the final two to settle the score at the end of the night. Tires only get changed for the final match up.
    I like the 5 lap dash idea. How about this....add a chassis match-up component to it. Since there are fans of the different chassis, that could add some excitement to it.

mix it up a bit!!! make drivers switch cars. or NO RULES wedge cars, open engines, no tire rules. MAKE IT INTERESTING

Theres only 1 way to see if this would fly. If anyone is going to watch Supers this weekend, go up and ask some of the drivers their opinion. Tell them its 2 out of 3, 5 lap heats, winner advances, loser goes home, $1000 entry fee, $100k to win. Report back what they say. This might be interesting.

Best way this would work, is to have the two guys (with open motor, and tire rules) run side by side two laps at racing speed. They have to stay side by side until they cross under the flagmen, when green is thrown. Then if one can get by the other in two more laps crossing first under the flagmen he wins. If after the two green laps and they are sill running side by side, the first one to cross the Finnish line wins be it in 3 laps or 30. I don't see it going past two green laps tho

Quote Originally Posted by 25drtrkr View Post
    Since the PGA has a one on one competition, why can't dlm racing? I propose $1,000 to enter, $100,000 to the winner. Two day show.Drivers draw for line-up.Run 3 8 lap heats.Best 2 out of three to advance.

What do you think? What would you do if it was your race?
    I like the idea, and with a good pr man, you could probably get the purse covered by sponsors.

I'd give Bubba Smith a call for the pr job.

Does not sound too practical to me.

Consider the details:
    Cars to roll out on to the track, align side by side, and take the green 30 seconds
    End of lap 1 Race 1 15 seconds
    End of lap 2 Race 1 15 seconds
    End of lap 3 Race 1 15 seconds
    End of lap 4 Race 1 15 seconds
    Checkered Flag Race 1 15 seconds
    slow down, 1 lap under caution, realign cars, take green flag 45 seconds
    End of lap 1 Race 2 15 seconds
    End of lap 2 Race 2 15 seconds
    End of lap 3 Race 2 15 seconds
    End of lap 4 Race 2 15 seconds
    Checkered Flag Race 2 15 seconds
    End of lap 1 Race 3 15 seconds
    End of lap 2 Race 3 15 seconds
    End of lap 3 Race 3 15 seconds
    End of lap 4 Race 3 15 seconds
    Checkered Flag Race 3 15 seconds
    slow down, get cars off the track 15 seconds

Total time per match race = 6 minutes and that does not allow time for cautions, wrecks, jumped starts, etc.

With 100 cars in attendance, you would have to have 99 match races or a total of 594 minutes or nearly 10 hours to complete.

10 hours of 2 cars at a time.

Somebody mentioned the Sprint race at Oskaloosa that does this. I have been there every year they have done it, and it is only 8 cars, 7 match races and only 2 laps (Green/White/Checker) and it is tolerable. Do it all night and I would say no thanks, not interested. neither as a fan or as a racer.

Another killer to the idea. I don't think you can find 100 late model racers in the entire country who would pay a $1,000 entry fee for ANY kind of race. In fact I would bet you can't even find 20 racers willing to pay that.

Im sure you could get Hoosier to kick in some serious money. Tell them to bring a semi full of LM20's only and they can sell them direct. Each team would have to get their tires at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by usac7 View Post
    Does not sound too practical to me.

Consider the details:
    Cars to roll out on to the track, align side by side, and take the green 30 seconds
    End of lap 1 Race 1 15 seconds
    End of lap 2 Race 1 15 seconds
    End of lap 3 Race 1 15 seconds
    End of lap 4 Race 1 15 seconds
    Checkered Flag Race 1 15 seconds
    End of lap 1 Race 2 15 seconds
    End of lap 2 Race 2 15 seconds
    End of lap 3 Race 2 15 seconds
    End of lap 4 Race 2 15 seconds
    Checkered Flag Race 2 15 seconds
    End of lap 1 Race 3 15 seconds
    End of lap 2 Race 3 15 seconds
    End of lap 3 Race 3 15 seconds
    End of lap 4 Race 3 15 seconds
    Checkered Flag Race 3 15 seconds
    slow down, get cars off the track 15 seconds

Total time per match race = 6 minutes and that does not allow time for cautions, wrecks, jumped starts, etc.

With 100 cars in attendance, you would have to have 99 match races or a total of 594 minutes or nearly 10 hours to complete.

10 hours of 2 cars at a time.

Somebody mentioned the Sprint race at Oskaloosa that does this. I have been there every year they have done it, and it is only 8 cars, 7 match races and only 2 laps (Green/White/Checker) and it is tolerable. Do it all night and I would say no thanks, not interested. neither as a fan or as a racer.

Another killer to the idea. I don't think you can find 100 late model racers in the entire country who would pay a $1,000 entry fee for ANY kind of race. In fact I would bet you can't even find 20 racers willing to pay that.
    Ummmmmmm,did you say 100 cars in attendance???I

I never said 100 cars or a purse amount, I was thinking more of a top 8 woo ,a top 8 lucas and 4 wildcard non touring total of 20 car all star type event.

Somebody could make a good go of it ..............I would buy a ticket to an event like that, especially if it had some support class racing mixed in too.