Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shortest Track That Super Late Models Races On?

Me and buddy of mine was talking today, and this question came up. What is the shortest track in the country that Super Late Models races on?

I knew if I asked yall here on 4m.net then we would find our answer.

Has to be Macon or bellvegas I would imagine. Only been to macon out of the two of them but racing on anything smaller than that just seems crazy

Yep. Belle Clair and Macon are the smallest I have ever seen. Definitely an example of the analogy of flying fighter jets around inside a hangar.

Had a buddy race at Macon once. I think it was a 40 or 50 lap feature that went caution free. I think they were on track about 10-12 minutes.

Hammerdown was a true 1/4 mile. Macon and Belle Clair are called 1/5ths. And they look a little smaller than that place. Now that was definitely an..uh...interesting place. The tower and stands right on top of track.

There is a dirt track in Salem Indiana that ran late models once and it is considered a 1/5 track. It did not workout well at all. I've seen it and it makes Macon look like Eldora!!

I remember a small track in central P.A. called Gambler raceway.

I'm from South Carolina and the shortest track around here that Late Models race on will be Fairgrounds Speedway in Shelby, North Carolina.

My dad used to tell stories about Memorial Stadium in Daytona which was built around a football field. He said they used to start 50-60 cars which were the Nascar modified/Sportsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    Yep. Belle Clair and Macon are the smallest I have ever seen. Definitely an example of the analogy of flying fighter jets around inside a hangar.
    You are correct. Those are the only two 1/5 mile tracks that currently run super lates.
    8/13/16

Macon, Bellclare and closed Macomb IL where all 1/5 miles, built in the late 40s for Midgets. I always got confused, between Macon and Macomb. Midgets where the top class in the Midwest in the post war years.They also raced at Soldier Field, in Chicago at that time. It is said, they drew 50,000 fans for a race there. Seems like there was a small track around Madison WI. at one time.

I've seen pics of them racing at Soldier Field. That had to be insane. Couldn't tell you how many cars were on the track but it was a sh1tload. And the stands were jam packed.
    8/13/16

Palodega here in MI. Fast forward the video a bit. They still run supers as a matter of fact they are tonight.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W8hmA5qDQ90

How about Tazewell Speedway. I think the track record is like. 10.882 it is a 1/3 mile race track.

Bradford Speedway in PA. to listed as a 1/4 mile, but I have my doubts. Maybe around the outside.

Macon has to be the smallest and provides some of the best racing you'll ever see.
    Belle Clair is a bit bigger but not much. Only been there once and it was the best night of racing I've ever seen in 52 years of going to the races.

Never saw LM at Memorial Stadium in Daytona but I went to some midget races there in the 70's. Not only was it short, it was narrow and flat. I can't imagine LM racing there.

A friend of mine raced USAC Stock Cars at Soldier's Field in the 60's. He said they'd bolt on their beat up sheet metal for the Soldier's Field shows.
    Support WEEKLY racing......while you still can!

Thank you all for answering my question, I've seen videos of Macon and Belle Clair. Would love to go see a race at both of them.

Maybe this help you find out what 1/5 or 1/4 still operate or closed... http://www.onedirt.com/features/dirt...t-track-guide/