Default Motor troubles! Need help!

I drive a pure stock race car and have had motor issues the last 2 years. This past off season we bought all brand new internal components to the motor and even went with a different builder. Both motors have a miss at 5500 rpm. We have switched carbs, fuel pumps, fuel lines, battery, and run all new electrical. We've unhooked the tach and all the gauges to see if that was the issue and nothing has worked. This issue has caused me to blow up the motor and end my season early for the second consecutive year. Any advice as to what it could be?!

You running an HEI distributor?
    did you have new valve springs installed?
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

I had a problem like this one time, it turned out to be a faulty timing light. I was using the kind of timing light that had the dial on the back and it was putting more advance in the timing than what it was dialed to. I went back to an old type strobe light and put my advance mark on the balancer , this was an expensive lesson learned......

Default timng

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    I had a problem like this one time, it turned out to be a faulty timing light. I was using the kind of timing light that had the dial on the back and it was putting more advance in the timing than what it was dialed to. I went back to an old type strobe light and put my advance mark on the balancer , this was an expensive lesson learned......
    I have heard of this before.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Had this problem before. mine was caused by condenser inside distributer with an hei. with timing light at 5000 rpm timing would jump all over the place.

Check your timing marks on the balancer. They are usually off on a stock balancer.

See Hendrens latest Facebook post.
    Last edited by 25drtrkr; 05-20-2015 at 07:14 PM.

read a article from malcuit engine that said them timing lights where responsible for more engine failures then most anything else that was customer related. anyway I would make shore the engine is grounded to the chassis good seen a lot of problems like this with sbc with aluminum heads, if its aluminum head ground that to the frame also

If you are blowing up then the miss isn't your problem, the miss is a by product of your problem. When you tore the motor down, was there anything wrong with the pistons?

Like the others say, a bad timing light will cause to much advance and start the blowing up process.

Next time, Dyno the thing, they charge 500 a day around me and you can fix the problem before it ever hits your car. 500 is cheap money compared to what you went thru.

Default tack.

Quote Originally Posted by lilsumo View Post
    If you are blowing up then the miss isn't your problem, the miss is a by product of your problem. When you tore the motor down, was there anything wrong with the pistons?

Like the others say, a bad timing light will cause to much advance and start the blowing up process.

Next time, Dyno the thing, they charge 500 a day around me and you can fix the problem before it ever hits your car. 500 is cheap money compared to what you went thru.
    put off switch on tack, tack's cause lots of headaches. 30% time caused by tack.

Read his post again . He said unhooked tach and all gauges .

I did ,you are right . my bad. dave41

I use a dial back light and its accurate, I get tired of reading about how they wont work with msd aren't accurate etc..

Ive had two different brands and both are fine with msd and are accurate.. Of course the user has to be smart enough to use them!

when I build a engine while degree the cam I always mark 35 degrees on vib. dampner. small hole in degree wheel for small center punch. always know where I am at.

Also marking the damper hub and outer ring cause they move around sometimes causing headaches.

stock car driver
    MSD told me over the phone NOT to use them....for what ever that is worth.

A Google search for "timing mark on spark plug" can be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    I use a dial back light and its accurate, I get tired of reading about how they wont work with msd aren't accurate etc..

Ive had two different brands and both are fine with msd and are accurate.. Of course the user has to be smart enough to use them!
    that's great, then you stick to what works for you, but your smart enough to use them comment can come back to bite you on the azz, and that's a fact jack.......

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    Also marking the damper hub and outer ring cause they move around sometimes causing headaches.

stock car driver
    MSD told me over the phone NOT to use them....for what ever that is worth.
    MSD and smoky told me, I actually thought any one that knew anything about a race engine knew this, oh well......