Default Mixing race e85 with pump e85

Anybody trying this we have been doing it and the only thing we have seen is a slight increase in water temp.The race e85 is leaded pump is not before with pump e85 we always put either Marvel oil or auto trans fluid in cell.Everyone feel free to give me your opinion.One big advantage is cost race e85 is 5.25 a gallon pump is around 2.10 a gallon. What we have been doing is top off cell with race e85 at shop buy 5 gallon at pump top off after hot laps so its probably like 60% race 40% pump tell me what you think Brad @ raceone if you see this I really value your ideas on this.

What benefit are you looking for by combining the two different fuels? I've been running a E85 straight from the pump at a local station since 08 and have never tried a race blend E85 so I'm not familiar with whatever benefits it may provide. I test every batch of fuel I buy and have found the ethanol content as low as 75% before but a little tuning and it has never caused any issues. Just my opinion but I would just run the pump fuel at half the cost of the race fuel.

The lead in the fuel is one thing .we got a bad batch of e85 last year the one time I was in a hurry and did not check it it was about e50 .Do you run any additives in your pump e85 also wanted to start year out on true e85 as I have read winter mix is e70 for easier starting. motor does seem to crank much easier on race e85 and run a little cooler though also how did you raise e75 to e85 that's what we ran into when this happened as we had no way to raise ethanol content..
    Last edited by RW57; 05-30-2015 at 03:28 AM.

We can get e98 at the track for $4 a gallon. Just put it in with the 75% and re test.

I do the same just add E98 till you get the percentage your looking for. Anything between and 80-85% we haven't noticed any difference and don't change anything. I also add Marvel oil to the fuel and have never had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtracer50 View Post
    I do the same just add E98 till you get the percentage your looking for. Anything between and 80-85% we haven't noticed any difference and don't change anything. I also add Marvel oil to the fuel and have never had any issues.
    We don't run methanol in our crate but from previous forms of racing where we ran 100% methanol, Marvel is a great idea. Seems to slow the down the bad crap the methanol does to carbs and provide some top cylinder lube.

all E85 users should be testing there fuel and agitating on a regular basis

the best and safest method I have found to agitate the fuel is with a air hose and long blow gun

test after agitating and make sure that the temperature of the test water is near the temp. of the fuel

85 is the magic number but with our set ups i would rather be a little light over heavy
    we prefer 84 over 87 to 88

mixing in race grades might be a problem
    VP's C85 does not water test---so I would have to question if it will blend with "pump" E85

I have personally tested Renegades E85 against "our" "pump" E85 and saw no difference and they did mix together just fine when I was done

to bring content up use e98------to bring it down we have found that cheap pump gas works better than high octane grade of race or av gas

Brad

Thanks the pump e85 we have been using was dead on I think we will go with it now that the season has started as it is a pretty good difference in cost savings thanks again everyone

I just ordered a tester to check the pump E85 I use in my promod. Since I don't know the numbers yet but understanding that the numbers can vary some, like from E65 to just over E85. We don't have E98 at our track so adding that is out of the question right now. I have read though that there is anhydrous ethanol (dry, no water) like in denatured acohol. Then there is hydrous ethanol like a very high proof drinking alcohol that can have 3 to 4 percent water in it.

If I test my local E85 and find it in the 70s, I feel that I can add the denatured alcohol to the test tube and see what it takes to raise it to the desired number, E85 in my case. Then I would imagine I could easily figure the percentage used to change the content and go from there to adding that percentage to whatever amount I have in my tank or in my 5 gallon jugs.

How does this sound to anyone out there? I haven't raced my promod much but used the E85 a lot in a previously run Factory Stock. My fellow racers that drove it said to them it felt pretty strong plus runs cooler. I don't need exact but I would like to try and make the fuel as close to the 85 percent number as possible. With as much running of E85 out there, there must be some who have wondered about altering a low number to 85 or close. I don't feel the expense or hassle of testing the fuel is a problem. I just want some feedback on the different percentages and if anyone has tried to adjust the number or what kind of success or lack of was encountered.

Thanks

Russ