Thread: Tubes in tires?

Default Tubes in tires?

I'm sure this has been discussed on here before but I went back and couldn't find a thread about it. I've popped 3 tires off this year and starting to get frustrated. Some people say to run tubes and some say stay away. Interested in some of your all's opinions. Thanks for any input.

What do you mean by "popped 3 tires off"? Do you mean off the rim or popped holes in them? No to the tube idea for sure. Tell us more. Are you on dirt, asphalt? What kind of tire and are they the right size for the rim? More info.

Off the rim. 3/8 banked dry slick dirt, 205/70/14 tires. I ran pressures in the mid to upper teens and car handled great, but I popped off the front right and right rear. Since then I've ran upper 20's in the right side but the car doesn't handle near as well as it seems to at lower pressure.

Low pressures like that are going to knock the tire off the bead for sure.

tubes will work just fine. just make sure you prep the wheels so the tire won't spin. I've ran them on 13, 14, and 15in tires with no problem. I ran sprint car front tires on my 4 cyl mod with the right rear at 8 psi with out a problem. I've also ran diamondback and towel city caps, dirt bozz.

olin

I have had the same issue with RR tires popping off (2 this year already). BFG 215/60/14 on 7" wheels.
    Heres the trick to running them tubeless: use FLAT black paint on the outer bead of the wheel, spray it on thick & air up the tire before the paint dries. I run the RR around 18# on dry slick & they hold up fine. On a side note, the ones I popped were already mounted when I bought them.

When we ran tubes we had to put baby powder in the tire to let the tube move in tire without cuting the valve stem .

I've heard of contact cement but not paint.

I run 195/60/15 and had 30 psi in the rf. 1st race I rolled the tire off the bead. Talked to some other drivers and they said go up to at least 32. I went and ran the psi up to 35 and have not had a problem yet. No tubes.