Thread: 377 help

Exclamation 377 help

Looking to build a 377 with 6inch rods what all will i need to do to complete this build i have a 509 block rods and pistons what all will i need to xomplete this build will be going in a metric bomber car looking for good horsepower and torque out of the corners and help woild be appreciated i havent delt with 400 blocks before usually have built 383 motors

3.48 crankshaft with 400 mains or spacers and a 350 main crank.

Think about keeping it a flat top motor and get head studs instead of bolts. Compression kills those stock 400 blocks because the walls are so thin.

Studs won't make the walls stronger.

what carb are you running

a 377 is a rpm motor, no tq, you mention you want tq

Studs are to help from cracking the head bolt holes out

Get a 2 bolt 400 block and stud the mains. Get someone to sonic test the block and make sure you have decent meat on the thrust side on the cylinders. 817 or 509 will work fine if it sonic checks ok. Keep the bobweight light if possible.Saying a 377 makes no torque is BS. They will make roughly the same torque as the 383. The stroke of the crank is virtually immaterial. The cubic inch of the cylinder determines the torque achievable, NOT THE STROKE. I like the larger bore of the 377 because it unshrouds the valves more and gives better breathing capability. Higher VE potential.They sell 3.5 stroke cranks in 400 mains. I'd go that route unless you were just going to use a 350 crank with bearing spacers.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?