Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Race Haulers and the Iowa DOT

Hearing that at least two haulers were stopped and ticketed for not being DOT compliant in Iowa today. I wonder if the crackdown is Iowa only, a particular county in Iowa or if all the states are going to put the pinch on racers using big rig conversions.
    If what I'm hearing is true, that if you receive a 1099 as a part of your racing operation, then your rig is a commercial vehicle and you'd better be in compliance.
    If they want to get serious on the 1099 thing, an open trailer with a pickup towing it would be considered a commercial vehicle and have to comply with the rules for a vehicle of that weight.

Unzinkers Facebook page sayed he got a $800 plus fine ouch

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Boesel View Post
    Unzinkers Facebook page sayed he got a $800 plus fine ouch
    I know something similar to this took place in Nebraska before, remember pieces of the story husker im sure has a more accurate account on the matter..... jacked up part to me is that the a$$ wipes writing the tickets seem to pick an choose when they decide to write the tickets kinda makes it hard for a guy to decide how to approach the situation its hard enough to break even at a race these days ...... one more reason to hate cops ....... " i joined the police force to protect an serve the community" they said . LAME !!!
    Last edited by george w; 06-17-2015 at 10:20 PM.

Federal dots our on their summer inspections weeks. Got my dad for improper band clamp on the exhaust of his generator for his sleeper last week. He asked him why it was improper and he couldn't answer the question just told him it was a violation.

800 is cheap, could be thousands. Gotta roll through there in the wee hours when the pigs are sleeping. I have driven our rig all over from Cali to FL to Ohio and everywhere in between without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TALON75 View Post
    800 is cheap, could be thousands. Gotta roll through there in the wee hours when the pigs are sleeping. I have driven our rig all over from Cali to FL to Ohio and everywhere in between without issue.
    You are right 800 is cheap considering there multiple violations. I drive I-29 at night and I also know when there is a mlra or usmts show in the area based on the number of toters I see going either north or south on that stretch.

When you notice what's missing...... You'll know why DOT busted him from the other side of the road. The key is don't look suspicious..... No speeding, make sure all the trailer lights work.... Etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by huskerdirt; 06-18-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by george w View Post
    I know something similar to this took place in Nebraska before, remember pieces of the story husker im sure has a more accurate account on the matter..... jacked up part to me is that the a$$ wipes writing the tickets seem to pick an choose when they decide to write the tickets kinda makes it hard for a guy to decide how to approach the situation its hard enough to break even at a race these days ...... one more reason to hate cops ....... " i joined the police force to protect an serve the community" they said . LAME !!!
    I know they busted some rigs coming up from Kansas one year for a NCRA show. The highway took them right past a scale house and DOT ran them down. Can't remember for sure what came of it.

I will agree that DOT seems to pick there spots to write tickets.

I seen a gray/green unit pulled over on hy 61 north. Was that him? There was a white one behind me that got lucky. DOT was busy.

Unzicker's hauler is all gray.

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdirt View Post
    When you notice what's missing...... You'll know why DOT busted him from the other side of the road. The key is don't look suspicious..... No speeding, make sure all the trailer lights work.... Etc.
    Cant see pic?

I know at Oakshade last year there was talk that if Pierce's took the thruway they would be stopped if anyone in OH caught wind of their length. I have no idea what is what for DOT crap, but they haul triples up on the thruway in OH at 70mph so not sure how a hauler would be longer.

In Iowa we can register the Motorcoaches/Toters as RV's. If you follow the IDOT manual there is an RV exception and as long as your Motorcoach/Toter meets the minimum guidelines it is ok to register as an RV (I keep a binder with all this information in my hauler plus when I was pulled over one time the DOT guy was pretty nice and answered all my questions, he confirmed that Iowa allows it as an RV, so I have notes from my discussion with the officer in my binder). What Iowa is doing in order to pull these rigs over is 1) getting them for over length violations because all the big haulers are pretty much over the legal length and 2) pulling over out of state haulers and trying to get them for Interstate Commerce.

427 c.i. I would argue with them on a 1099 making you a commercial vehicle. How would they even know if you were or weren't getting a 1099? Plus I know many people who do hobby type activities and they get 1099's for them but they are in no way a commercial enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by george w View Post
    DOT pulls you over, you'll probably get a ticket for something. Some are overweight, some can't axle it, some it's the length, or the dumb stuff like lights and speeding.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcat View Post
    Cant see pic?

I know at Oakshade last year there was talk that if Pierce's took the thruway they would be stopped if anyone in OH caught wind of their length. I have no idea what is what for DOT crap, but they haul triples up on the thruway in OH at 70mph so not sure how a hauler would be longer.
    The length between axles is where they get you.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    The length between axles is where they get you.
    Wow, really? Did not know that was something they looked at. Cool to know, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcat View Post
    Cant see pic?

I don't know why my pic won't show up, must be the new 4m. It's a pic of Unzickers hauler. If you notice by the door there's no DOT number listed or Registered RV sticker.

This is why he got pulled over the way he did..... Like I said don't look suspicious.

You can find the pic on his Facebook page.

The axle spacing wasn't a problem on Unzickers hauler. I've seen other trucks(not racing related) that are just as spaced if not worse.

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/Freight/publ.../index.htm#tts

If put a standard toter right next to a semi with a 53 foot trailer. They are exactly the same length.

Quote Originally Posted by FAP Motorsports View Post
    Have a lot of hauler tickets been written for being over the allowed weight limits when it comes to gross weight per axle?
    Shouldn't be..... I've hauled up to 47,000 lbs in cargo and not been over weight. Even with two cars and all the spare parts.... Etc. They should never even sniff being over weight.

And they don't have to have placards for hazardous materials because they honestly don't carry that much fuel.

you better have stuff right when the state boys/dot pull you over, paper work right,weight,length,width. don't matter what you pulling they going try their hardest find something wrong to get money out of you.