Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

They didn't run sprints the first year did they? I haven't been able to find anything on sprints from the first year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwd1253 View Post
    yeah punk I think they would easily pack in 60k+ crowd today. it would be sweet if they did bristol at least every 5 years 100 lapper. speeds would be crazier today.
    I seriously doubt they'd be much if any faster. Late models haven't gained much in speed the last 10 years and most track records have been stagnant for 15 years with some notable exceptions under perfect conditions. I bet several cars would flip. The newer cars turn better than they did back then, but that's about it. And the wheels weren't breaking due to speed, but the combination of a very rough surface and high G-forces. The following year there weren't any wheel issues. In Georgia we have Golden Isles Speedway in Brunswick near Savannah, nowadays its a tacky 3/8, but in the 90's it was an oil based 5/8 track and on a regular basis the Supers were radar clocked topping 170+MPH down the long back stretch, without any wheel breaking issues, now that was a fast track. The old Cherokee configuration had Supers clocked at 150+MPH...
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperEight View Post
    I seriously doubt they'd be much if any faster. Late models haven't gained much in speed the last 10 years and most track records have been stagnant for 15 years with some notable exceptions under perfect conditions. I bet several cars would flip. The newer cars turn better than they did back then, but that's about it. And the wheels weren't breaking due to speed, but the combination of a very rough surface and high G-forces. The following year there weren't any wheel issues. In Georgia we have Golden Isles Speedway in Brunswick near Savannah, nowadays its a tacky 3/8, but in the 90's it was an oil based 5/8 track and on a regular basis the Supers were radar clocked topping 170+MPH down the long back stretch, without any wheel breaking issues, now that was a fast track. The old Cherokee configuration had Supers clocked at 150+MPH...
    Today's cars are much better on a slick surface. They are not much faster on a fast one.

A daytime qualifying session at Eldora would no longer have quality drivers timing in at over 20 seconds.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Today's cars are much better on a slick surface. They are not much faster on a fast one.

A daytime qualifying session at Eldora would no longer have quality drivers timing in at over 20 seconds.
    That's True.
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperEight View Post
    The good ole days!...not really, the racing was primarily one groove for there and Waycross. I was there the night Madden was clocked at 170, and he ended up setting a new track record of 144 mph plus!

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    They didn't run sprints the first year did they? I haven't been able to find anything on sprints from the first year.
    Sprints ran the weekend before or the weekend after I believe.

I was there also. I think Balzano had em covered until that wheel broke. I know this is a LM board but a lil trivia. Does anyone remember who won the Mod race that night and who finished 2nd?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch4545 View Post
    First of all , thank you Zyoung25 for finding the video. I have ask several times over the years on this web site, where the video was. No one could ever produce it. If you are a Bloomer fan, you will see one the great driving jobs of all time. Haven't watched it yet ,but if memory serves me correct, he was DQed. He started last in his heat, past enough cars to qualify for the C main. In the C Main he past enough cars to qualify for the B main. In the B main he past enough cars to qualify for the A main. In the A main he past about half the field, went in and changed a tire, came back out and I think he finished about 7th. Now I'll watch the video and see how my memory is. I apologize if I have Oldtimers disease.
    You would be incorrect... Scott took a provisional to make the race...

Was everything else correct. I did my post from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by TMaCiLLiNi39 View Post
    You would be incorrect... Scott took a provisional to make the race...

mods...I think wayne brooks and Kerry Norris were in the top 5. a late model and sprintcar guys.

Quote Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
    mods...I think wayne brooks and Kerry Norris were in the top 5. a late model and sprintcar guys.
    Any video of the mods? I'd like to see that.

Wayne Brooks did win it and Jimmy Owens finished 2nd. I have not found a video of the mods anywhere. Sure would like though.