willard speedway rocks
    Last edited by sjracing90; 07-22-2015 at 06:48 AM.

I've never understood cutting the purse because of low car counts. If you only have 10 cars and you normally start 20, then there are 10 cars/positions you are NOT paying out for. There is easily a couple thousand dollars you are SAVING. So, why cut the purse??? It cuts itself. What am I missing????

Quote Originally Posted by skids View Post
    I've never understood cutting the purse because of low car counts. If you only have 10 cars and you normally start 20, then there are 10 cars/positions you are NOT paying out for. There is easily a couple thousand dollars you are SAVING. So, why cut the purse??? It cuts itself. What am I missing????
    Missing a lot of pit gate money. Plus as many fans aren't going to show up if car counts are that low. Your concession will be way down too. As long as it's posted and known that there is a minimum car count that has to be meet for payout then that's there right. Now on the other hand if they just waited until drivers meeting and seen how many cars signed in and then cut the purse with no warning that's a whole different story. If they start losing money eventually it will start declining rapidly then there is another track shut down.

Boy you want to talk about a catch 22 here is one for you. When you cut the pay in the middle of the season it's never a good thing. Don't get me wrong I completely understand why they want to do it but, it just never a good thing but, the track can't continue to pay the full purse and not get the help from both the front and back gate attendance. This promoting thing is getting harder and harder every year for these promoters. I know some are goi g to say they need to do more then just post things on social media. I know some that are trying different things and it doesn't seem to make much difference but, maybe in the long run it will.

If your cutting purses because people aren't showing up, then you have problems elsewhere to look at....not just cutting purses.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Fridays are tough to get to consistently for the working racer.............
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    If your cutting purses because people aren't showing up, then you have problems elsewhere to look at....not just cutting purses.
    Agree. If you are cutting purses for ANY reason, you have some serious issues, other than car count.

I agree Skids. Promoters that are in financial trouble get tunnel vision. They concentrate on cutting expenses when they should be concentrating on putting butts in the the bleachers and running a good show.
    Support WEEKLY racing......while you still can!

Cutting purses is a sure fire way to put yourself out of business.

[QUOTE=sjracing90;1933937]the problem is when they cut the purse the last race the purses were advertised as guaranteed purses. then drivers get to drivers meeting and they cut them badly. now they are advertising if less than 10 cars in a class the purse will be discussed in drivers meeting. that gives them right to cut it to whatever they want to pay. the problem at willard is the only cars that win are cars owned by the track owner and drivers that are friends with owner. just playground for track owner.[/QUOTE. I've seen other cars win down there so your statement is not true.

Looks like if I raced there I would wait until the drivers meeting to pay my pit pass and bring my car in.if you are running for half the purse and don't like it you are only out fuel money.Promoter see a few dozen haulers waiting to come in he might change his mind. And yes I have drove to a track heard the purse was cut and left. have never been back. The track is no longer open,blamed the racers for breaking him.HA

NDRL Mckean County, cut purse, beginning of the end for them. I do see where Zuver has leased fairgrounds to try a Fall Classic, some people claim they are owed money from last year.
    Eldora 8
    Knoxville IA 3
    Lancaster county NC 1
    Cherokee NC 1
    Richmond KY 1
    Midway 1
    Lotsa streaming

As a promoter, it is your job to put up a purse and PROMOTE it so that fans have an expectation of the level of competition they are likely to see. Good racers go where the money is and better racers go where even MORE money is.
    As a racer, it is my job to show up and put on the best show possible based on the expectation of a return at the end of the night.
    These jobs are not mutually exclusive. If you dangle a carrot in front of me and I catch it, you can't tell me I can only eat half of it.
    When I hear talk about cutting purses at drivers meetings I'll be the first to stand up and say, "cut your purse next week, we showed up to race for the money that YOU advertized THIS week".
    It's the equivalent of the boss cutting your hours because he can't find work for you to do. He shouldn't have hired you in the first place if he can't see it through.
    Promoters need to accept the fact that, as entrepreneurs, THEY assume the risk. They've chosen to do this to MAKE money while most of us that race are doing it as a hobby but expect some reimbursement from the tracks we visit to put on a show for the fans that they're raping with $5 nachos.
    Bottom line is many promoters do nothing but water the track and open the gates.
    GOOD promotion (i.e. advertizing the fact that you even exist) and GOOD track preparation will keep a track open forever.

I happened to be there, the car counts were low id say due to the Dream at Eldora that weekend.The owner was up front and honest with the drivers, told us if we didnt wanna race for the cut purse he would understand and would refund our money No we wasnt thrilled with the purse being cut but we stayed and raced, had a good time not to mention the track was excellent actually the smoothest surface i'd seen left me wondering why the other tracks cant accomplish this but oh well thats dirt track racing i guess they all have their flaws.

Have to give him some credit if he told you in drivers meeting & offered money back if you didn't want race.

There are some promoters out there that would have let you know @ the pay window.

Doesn't or didn't Randy Boggs own that track?

rough.... omg ive heard it all One of the smoothest tracks around

#1 They didnt cut the purse#2 Why you postin somethin you OBVIOUSLY know NOTHING ABOUT, YOU HEARD "LOL#3 There were 2 limited lates that got to tag tail of the late model feature first and second position in the limited late feature. This was announced in drivers meeting also (DID YOU HAPPEN TO HEAR THAT)?#4 Maybe you sjracing90 would like to come work and show them how its done, im sure those family members would let you have at it ,in fact i know they would and all the other tracks too thats what every track needs is a know it all.

Quote Originally Posted by toyracer View Post
    Have to give him some credit if he told you in drivers meeting & offered money back if you didn't want race.

There are some promoters out there that would have let you know @ the pay window.
    That would only happen once.........
    EVERYBODY HAS A GAME PLAN, UNTIL THEY GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE.......M.T