Default Clamp vs spring behind?

What's the general opinions of clamp cars vs spring behind? Is one better than another for a specific reason? Or does it depend on the driver or track? Who is winning in clamp cars today?

Seems like everyone has switched over to spring behind, Clamped is a thing of the past.

I don't think we can say it is a thing of the past if we don't know the reason for everyone switching.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkstomuch View Post
    I don't think we can say it is a thing of the past if we don't know the reason for everyone switching.
    Because it is faster. Clamp is too throttle sensitive. This applies to corner entry as well as exit. There is a reason late models gave it up 15 years ago.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Is the spring behind better with a pull bar or a lift arm? Or does this apply to driver feel?

I don't know that we can deem "throttle sensative" as bad for everyone can we? I really thought their might be more info out there on this topic. Are people switching to spring behind just to be sheeps in a herd? I've driven both and am un sure on which is better. Spring behind just always seems to free, especially on exit (good if it is always heavy). Clamp has less parts and cost less, thats a plus.

I much prefer clamp cars on the dry slick stuff we race on in Michigan. I like it pretty well on a tacky surface as well. I'd take a clamp over a spring behind anyday

I think what tire your running could help you decide which set up to run. JMO and best of luck in your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkstomuch View Post
    I don't know that we can deem "throttle sensative" as bad for everyone can we? I really thought their might be more info out there on this topic. Are people switching to spring behind just to be sheeps in a herd? I've driven both and am un sure on which is better. Spring behind just always seems to free, especially on exit (good if it is always heavy). Clamp has less parts and cost less, thats a plus.
    Your too free car may have had the wrong amount of static wedge or link geometry that was not maximized. There is so many adjustments that can be made that drastically changes how the system operates. I have been learning stuff about it for 17 years.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Clamp can get tricky but is great when the traction is there. When traction is minimal spring behind is the way to go. There has to be available traction for a clamped car to work.
    Find me on Facebook: Impetus Dirt Racing Technologies

Another question what makes more drive off the corner? Spring behind on a slider with shock in front or coil over behind with spring and shock?

One could say the same thing. The "hook" cars are body roll dependent and the "clamped" cars are throttle dependent.
    The "hook" cars can roll through the middle with the roll steer while the "clamp" cars will be better....You know what? I've seen everything win somewhere. I don't really think it matters what your doing as your maximizing what you do have. As far as what's faster? I don't know cause I only want to be faster than second place.
    Last edited by Lizardracing; 07-30-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Another question what makes more drive off the corner? Spring behind on a slider with shock in front or coil over behind with spring and shock?
    Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
    07-30-2015, 09:23 AM

Spring and shock behind.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

I will take roll dependent over throttle and roll dependent any day. I can observe roll and fix it. I can't see how much throttle the tires can take or fix the driver when he doesn't use the pedal right.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I see your point however isn't the argument which is faster? Not which is faster not what's is driver friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    I see your point however isn't the argument which is faster? Not which is faster not what's is driver friendly?
    Mods are always 10 years behind the lates. You guys will catch up! Lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Just switched to spring behind from clamp. I was good with grip in the track but as soon as it slicked up I was a back marker. Haven't ran yet since I switched. I'll try to update which I like better in a few weeks.

clamped setup needs axle thrust to get max traction..with bite in track it is not as important and helps loosen car in..when slick with a fifth coil or pullbar rearend, travel is minimal unless u use a 175 l.r. spring and a 175 fifth coil so rearend can load the springs slower and with more travel to give better forward drive or a softer lr and soften the pullbar spring,this also helps tighten in just a bit..(most feel this setup is just to loose in)at least thats what we did on the rockets in the mid an late 90,s..also ran double clamped somtimes and ran a 2003 grt swing arm car with l.r. clamped(no rear trailing arm)that was real fast....the l.r. rear spring behind is just a lot less trial an error and easier traction setup....also spring behind and shock in front is the best setup..the shock is on the better side of birdcage indexing to control it..and spring is on the better side to index into for lift and traction..~V~..