Thread: crates on alky

Default crates on alky

what needs to be done to switch a crate motor to alky besides carb

I don't think you can run Alky in a motor with hypereutectic pistons that come in a crate motor unless they were changed for aluminum pistons.

Always a concern with running alky is burn-off. It's hard to keep your car balanced through a race because you burn off so much more rear weight with alky versus gas. That coupled with the fact that it is already difficult to get enough rear weight into a crate car without being over weight is why most people avoid it.
    Different carb and you're going to need a pump made for alcohol also. Alcohol pumps are usually belt driven to accommodate the varying fuel pressures required and you'll almost always want a regulator also.

Quote Originally Posted by lovinlatemodels View Post
    I don't think you can run Alky in a motor with hypereutectic pistons that come in a crate motor unless they were changed for aluminum pistons.
    Hundreds being ran in IMCA modifieds on alky now with no issues.

Carb setup for the fuel and a decent pump like the Procam and a regulator. No big deal at all. A crate will run fine on alky.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

we intially had some concerns with our 602 sprint program being it has a basic cast piston----however after thousands of laps and many different levels of maintenance amongst teams---we have yet to have a piston failure

no worries at all on a 604

to answer the original question
    as Matt said ----carb --fuel pump and regulator
    I will add that proper size of fuel lines and also test your fuel cell foam or just change it now with a foam that is alcohol approved

Brad

thanks I was wandering if I had to change the fuel pump or not some say yea some say no

I would say yes on the pump unless you're using a belt drive or alcohol pump on gas. I'd let the people that say no have at it on their car. The right way is always the cheapest, fastest and easiest way.

had car on alky this past weekend and we used same manual pump and just put alky carb on and changed fuel filter and so far he ran it bout 35 laps and ran perfect

Usually the pump will have too much pressure at idle and not enough wide open if you are on a bigger track, and they break frequently. That's why people run belt drive pumps. If it works for you, that's good.