Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free up entry

Default Free up entry

How to free up entry when up on bars without loosing drive off? Trying to change driving habit and keep car up on bars, but now car won't rotate in middle of corner. Only way to turn is to drop throttle and roll middle of corner. Thanks in advance

Softer LF spring
    Stiffer compression in RR shock
    Softer rebound in 5th coil shock
    Stiffer compression in LR shock
    Stiffer 6th coil
    Softer RR spring
    Flatten J-bar
    Increase LR bite

The last 3 could also give you more drive off the corner.

Springs now LF 550, RF 325, LR 200, RR 225. Only LR behind shock with chain, got traction shock just havnt put it on yet. Car rolls into rf hard on entry but pushes up at mid corner. All help appreciated.

If the car is turning in o.k., you might lengthen the passenger side wheelbase 1/4" to 1/2".Matt49 mentioned flattening the j-bar, I agree, but if you are on the bottom of the pinion with the j-bar, you may need to come up some.

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Springs now LF 550, RF 325, LR 200, RR 225. Only LR behind shock with chain, got traction shock just havnt put it on yet. Car rolls into rf hard on entry but pushes up at mid corner. All help appreciated.
    I typically associate mid corner with j bar. Unless you are getting back in gas...
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I'm just below pinion on j-bar, and I would consider it getting back on gas as I'm trying not to lift had and drop off bars.
    Last edited by RSS; 07-08-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Let's try it a different way. Are you decelerating or accelerating when you have the loose condition.

Not a loose condition, driving car into corner on bars,(maybe half throttle) get to middle of corner(on RF frame rail) and car pushes up if I don't drop throttle to rotate. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but trying not to get beat in and through middle as bad

How many inches of rake in your j-bar?

Raise your LR bottom rod 1 hole on frame.

He wants to know how to get the car to turn like davenport does on entry with the LR still hiked up i believe he is trying to trail brake. Davenport looks like he never lifts a lot of the time. I'm sure he's lifting some but the rear of the car doesn't set down and the car still turns when he gets to the center. I've tried it on occasions and when its heavy it does just like he has said get to the center and won't turn.

What track are you at i think that plays a big part.

I'll have to measure jbar rake tonight, normal track for us is 1/2 mile, medium banking at best. Softened LF spring, to try something.

If your having to " drop " the car to get it to rotate the car is too tight .

stiffer rr spring will free it up ON the gas into and thru the corner

Exactly SCR ... The guy is complaining that his car won't rotate the center and the crate superstar no one has ever heard of suggests a softer RR spring .... I would just weld a 225 on there and adjust something else.

Powerslide , davenport staying on the bars with the car at the perfect attitude is what MAKES it turn ... You make it sound as if that prevents it from turning ...

So hucktyson, your recommendations to adjust something else are?

Thank you RSS.

I was describing what he is wanting the car to do. He was having a hard time putting it in words so I gave an example of what he is trying to do. Some drivers have the davenport style some are more the bloomer/moyer style.

When I try to drive like "davenport" or "Richards" with any moisture the car will stay on the bars but gets to the center and wont turn. Mine is a mod not a late model. In the same night I tried driving like "davenport" in the heat/qualifier and the car wouldn't turn, I went back to lifting and the car turned and we won, didn't change a thing except the way I drove it. If I could figure out how to get it to turn while staying somewhat in the gas we would win more. I'm still green behind the wheel so I learn something every time we go out.
    Last edited by powerslide; 07-09-2015 at 09:27 AM.

I'm thinking it was directed towards Matt and not you Powerslide.

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    Thank you RSS.

I was describing what he is wanting the car to do. He was having a hard time putting it in words so I gave an example of what he is trying to do. Some drivers have the davenport style some are more the bloomer/moyer style.

When I try to drive like "davenport" or "Richards" with any moisture the car will stay on the bars but gets to the center and wont turn. Mine is a mod not a late model. In the same night I tried driving like "davenport" in the heat/qualifier and the car wouldn't turn, I went back to lifting and the car turned and we won, didn't change a thing except the way I drove it. If I could figure out how to get it to turn while staying somewhat in the gas we would win more. I'm still green behind the wheel so I learn something every time we go out.

a stiffer rr will free it up on the gas and it will turn if not then left lower bar up one hole will free it up all around it takes a free car to drive on the gas all the way around