Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Davenport's car

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    How do you record data during racing? Thought that was against the rules!
    Indeed it is! I have heard others being accused of using it though.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Data Acquisition systems aren't that hard to see but doesn't mean hes not using it in testing. You can take those systems and upload them onto the pull down rig and tell alot.

Could it be the Penske dampner, like mbracer suggested, but with bumpstops instead of the mini spring?
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    Data Acquisition systems aren't that hard to see but doesn't mean hes not using it in testing. You can take those systems and upload them onto the pull down rig and tell alot.
    It'd be pretty hard to pull off hiding it without a ton of work and it's not so much tech you have to fool as the other racers. Most of the time you get caught/found out cause of other racers and very rarely by the tech department.

That being said, I'm gonna go off tangent here to say a few things:

I know everyone wants to know the trick of the week or what others are doing, nothing wrong with that but you have to keep it in perspective. I just went and tested last weekend and tried several things, a couple of them are what davenport/bloomer are doing. Not going to give out much info here, but only one of them was worth anything on the clock. Granted different cars, drivers, tracks, and what not, but only one of them was worth a tenth and you could maybe argue a tenth and half.

I guess my point is how many people are even anywhere that close to the times either of those 2 guys run???? Before you get overly worried about some of this stuff, you need to be able to consistently run real close to their lap times on a consistent basis. So concentrating on the basic's and driving until you get fairly close will pay more dividends then most of this other stuff.

Just food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    It'd be pretty hard to pull off hiding it without a ton of work and it's not so much tech you have to fool as the other racers. Most of the time you get caught/found out cause of other racers and very rarely by the tech department.

That being said, I'm gonna go off tangent here to say a few things:

I know everyone wants to know the trick of the week or what others are doing, nothing wrong with that but you have to keep it in perspective. I just went and tested last weekend and tried several things, a couple of them are what davenport/bloomer are doing. Not going to give out much info here, but only one of them was worth anything on the clock. Granted different cars, drivers, tracks, and what not, but only one of them was worth a tenth and you could maybe argue a tenth and half.

I guess my point is how many people are even anywhere that close to the times either of those 2 guys run???? Before you get overly worried about some of this stuff, you need to be able to consistently run real close to their lap times on a consistent basis. So concentrating on the basic's and driving until you get fairly close will pay more dividends then most of this other stuff.

Just food for thought
    ^^^
    My nomination for post of the month.
    We recently "tried some things" because I thought I was missing something...we did nothing but go backwards. We went back to basic setups and immediately came back toward the front. In my case, the driver needs a lot more work than the race car.

I think we're getting off subject here. I don't want to copy it. I can't drive like Superman, he's been fast in everything he's ever been in. I'm just curious. They keep a lr on it all times and it's hard to see. It
    has a pivot and looks like a spring of sorts with chain going to the birdcage or tube, I couldn't see. The car comes thru the pits already down on the right side. The only movement is the left hike and a little movement on the left front.

I've considered trying a spring rod on the LR upper to take some of the extreme rigidness out of the LR when the car is fully hiked. My thinking behind this is not to necessarily "soften" the LR as that is obviously where we get so much dynamic wedge but to help the LR tire conform better than just the sidewall will allow on choppy surfaces.
    Anybody else have thoughts on this or am I out on a limb?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    ^^^
    My nomination for post of the month.
    We recently "tried some things" because I thought I was missing something...we did nothing but go backwards. We went back to basic setups and immediately came back toward the front. In my case, the driver needs a lot more work than the race car.
    I've considered trying a spring rod on the LR upper to take some of the extreme rigidness out of the LR when the car is fully hiked. My thinking behind this is not to necessarily "soften" the LR as that is obviously where we get so much dynamic wedge but to help the LR tire conform better than just the sidewall will allow on choppy surfaces.
    Anybody else have thoughts on this or am I out on a limb?
    You already forgot about this post? I feel like "we" and "a lot" of teams the driver needs more work than the car

Alot of us just don't have the time and money to go test "trick" setup stuff... the cheapest fix is to fix the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    You already forgot about this post? I feel like "we" and "a lot" of teams the driver needs more work than the car
    :-)
    Now that shouldn't stop me from wanting to experiment though, right? :-)
    The challenge with the last round of "testing" that we did was that I stuck with it too long. I went through a spell a few years ago where I would try something and if it didn't immediately work I would scrap the idea without massaging it at all. I was too quick to go back to what was comfortable. More recently, I over compensated and was stubbornly trying to make something work that just wasn't going to pan out. Part of the psychology of all this stuff is identifying when it's time to tap out. But one thing is for sure, you never learn if you don't try new stuff.
    Guys like Bloomquist and Moyer didn't get where they are running the same stuff everybody else has on. That's not to say that there is some secret setup out there but there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Bloomquist is testing every time he doesn't win so I don't see why you shouldn't test!

5% of the drivers will win 85% of the races. There is a reason for that. There is no setup going to change that statistic.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

"They say 60% of the world's statistics are made up right there on the spot, 82.4% of the people believe them wether they're accurate statistics or not. I don't know what you believe, but I do believe there's no doubt, I need a double shot of something 90 proof, I got to much to think about!" lol

https://youtu.be/8ZWmbWrMwqo

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Statisticians and politicians all lie. More appropriately, Lie by omission of all the facts.

Concerning data acquisitions systems, I follow USRA/USMTS and just this year outlawed in car cameras because they felt they were being used as data collecting devices and already expressed as illegal in the rulebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    Statisticians and politicians all lie. More appropriately, Lie by omission of all the facts.

Concerning data acquisitions systems, I follow USRA/USMTS and just this year outlawed in car cameras because they felt they were being used as data collecting devices and already expressed as illegal in the rulebook.
    I've often wondered about this. A lot of "data" can be "acquired" from video of your suspension.

How much rebound at 6'' of velocity do you need to knock Erb off the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by save the racers View Post
    It's not rebound you need just some throttle % and some cojones (Grin)

I've often wondered about this. A lot of "data" can be "acquired" from video of your suspension.
    Another rule that will be hard to enforce

Quote Originally Posted by save the racers View Post
    $26,000 dollars worth.....knowing that 8 Hoosiers makes more traction than 4!
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

In response to billets comment that it would be another rule that's hard to enforce. It would also be a rule that hurts the small guy while helping the well funded teams. A go pro is cheap vs taking Time off work, renting a track, and doing actual testing with real data acquisition.