Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Busch And The Championship

If Kyle Busch wins the Cup Championship should there be an asterisk next to his name since he only competed in about 1/2 the season. This would make for an unprecedented set of circumstances and it would be very interesting how NASCAR will rationalize the fact that their champion of the top division of their sanction only competed in just part of the season.

Personally, I can't bring myself to believe this is defensible. All the commentators are playing this situation up as a huge story and a grand development in the process to determine a season's championship. A season's championship is just that, not a 1/2 seasons championship. To have a mechanism in place that would allow for this type of development further puts NASCAR in a tenuous position to be sure! They can't afford to lose anymore credibility, they are running on empty in that department as it is.

The gimmicks have cost NASCAR at least 50% of their TV ratings and more than 50% of their spectatorship over the last 10-12 years and it's not clear if they can afford another hit on their overall credibility.
    Last edited by CIRF; 07-27-2015 at 09:31 AM.

You are correct CIRF this would only hurt nascars credibility further and my take on the way they are playing this thing up is as of now that is the only thing they have that is even remotely exciting in nascar lets face it the races are a snooz fest.

Did anyone notice the winners purse was only $424,000. It started out at $1 million.
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    The gimmicks have cost NASCAR at least 50% of their TV ratings and more than 50% of their spectatorship over the last 10-12 years and it's not clear if they can afford another hit on their overall credibility.
    And they have hurt it more by going with NBCSN. At least in my area. My cable provider doesn't carry it.

If Kyle Busch wins the Cup Championship should there be an asterisk next to his name since he only competed in about 1/2 the season. This would make for an unprecedented set of circumstances and it would be very interesting how NASCAR will rationalize the fact that their champion of the top division of their sanction only competed in just part of the season.

Personally, I can't bring myself to believe this is defensible. All the commentators are playing this situation up as a huge story and a grand development in the process to determine a season's championship. A season's championship is just that, not a 1/2 seasons championship. To have a mechanism in place that would allow for this type of development further puts NASCAR in a tenuous position to be sure! They can't afford to lose anymore credibility, they are running on empty in that department as it is.

Why? They gave Kyle the criteria that had to be met in order for him to compete for the Championship, and he's working on that.... the team was there every week, why should they be penalized for a screw up Daytona made? I think NASCAR has done some things wrong, not helping tracks make sure there are safer barriors everywhere... they can afford it....and I wouldn't have a problem if they did the same thing for any other driver....I don't recall you b!tchin when they did it for Smoke a couple years ago when he broke his leg....selective indignation cause you don't like Busch?

Quote Originally Posted by 25drtrkr View Post
    Did anyone notice the winners purse was only $424,000. It started out at $1 million.
    Why would I care? I don't get a percentage of it, do you? If they paid the winner twelve bucks its fine with me as long as I get a good race and that was a pretty good race... a lot of strategy, ballzy driving and mistakes made and those mistakes were capitalized on.... Good stuff, I don't know if the new package is much, that's for the drivers to decide...I didn't see a lot of difference from last year...as best I recall....

Quote Originally Posted by ace1 View Post
    And they have hurt it more by going with NBCSN. At least in my area. My cable provider doesn't carry it.

I got lucky, I didn't find it, but my DVR did....now I know....

Well at least now they have come to realize they need to get the cars where they can. Pass. That's why they started the double file restarts because, that's where most of the passes come from. They are trying different rules package to accomplish this and I hope they make it work for their sake. I still watch and enjoy it maybe not as much as I used to but, I watch it for then the race itself.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    Why would I care? I don't get a percentage of it, do you? If they paid the winner twelve bucks its fine with me as long as I get a good race and that was a pretty good race... a lot of strategy, ballzy driving and mistakes made and those mistakes were capitalized on.... Good stuff, I don't know if the new package is much, that's for the drivers to decide...I didn't see a lot of difference from last year...as best I recall....
    Yeah the strategy can get interesting how it all plays out sometimes and how a caution can make you have to come up with a new strategy.

Why? They gave Kyle the criteria that had to be met in order for him to compete for the Championship, and he's working on that.... the team was there every week, why should they be penalized for a screw up Daytona made? I think NASCAR has done some things wrong, not helping tracks make sure there are safer barriors everywhere... they can afford it....and I wouldn't have a problem if they did the same thing for any other driver....I don't recall you b!tchin when they did it for Smoke a couple years ago when he broke his leg....selective indignation cause you don't like Busch?
    I appreciate you further making my point, thank you.

NASCAR will be roundly ridiculed and laughed at by the mainstream sports media if Busch wins the championship. They already do, but as a sanctioning body NASCAR waved the rules so a driver can somehow win the championship after not competing in multiple races in what is supposed to be their premier division NASCAR will become the laughing stock of the sports entertainment world, and deservedly so.

I would have said the same thing regardless of who had the rules changed for them. And that is a fact!

I am really sorry that one Busch got drug into court and suspended and the other Busch got busted up at Daytona but to allow either one of those guys (or Stewart, or Vickers or anyone else who misses races for whatever reason) to win a championship because of NASCAR guilt is pure bull$hit and an asterisk must be displayed.

I'm pullin' for the Busch's all the way to win the championship so NASCAR can be widely exposed to folks who aren't necessarily NASCAR fans for the gimmick ridden fraud they really are.

I appreciate you further making my point, thank you.

NASCAR will be roundly ridiculed and laughed at by the mainstream sports media if Busch wins the championship. They already do, but as a sanctioning body NASCAR waved the rules so a driver can somehow win the championship after not competing in multiple races in what is supposed to be their premier division NASCAR will become the laughing stock of the sports entertainment world, and deservedly so.

I would have said the same thing regardless of who had the rules changed for them. And that is a fact!

I am really sorry that one Busch got drug into court and suspended and the other Busch got busted up at Daytona but to allow either one of those guys (or Stewart, or Vickers or anyone else who misses races for whatever reason) to win a championship because of NASCAR guilt is pure bull$hit and an asterisk must be displayed.

I'm pullin' for the Busch's all the way to win the championship so NASCAR can be widely exposed to folks who aren't necessarily NASCAR fans for the gimmick ridden fraud they really are.
    Naw, the only pure BS is your vile hatred of the Busch Brothers.... kind of reflects more about you then them though.... And the other thing that seems to slip your mind, NASCAR is a business, and they can run it any way they want, even into the ground if they so please, and I doubt they give a rats butt what you think....you sure are knowledgeable for a guy that never watches NASCAR... eyeroll here

And 85K in attendance this day and age, not to bad in my opinion...and yes, I actually watch the races....and enjoy them and like the chase format....I applaud they're efforts with trying different changes to enhance the racing.... Kentucky was awesome!!!

I too could care less what some think of NASCAR but, I also agree if you don't make all the races your out.

Naw, the only pure BS is your vile hatred of the Busch Brothers.... kind of reflects more about you then them though.... And the other thing that seems to slip your mind, NASCAR is a business, and they can run it any way they want, even into the ground if they so please, and I doubt they give a rats butt what you think....you sure are knowledgeable for a guy that never watches NASCAR... eyeroll here
    As is usually the case you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. You have no idea how I truly feel about anyone, least of all some NASCAR driver. And, NASCAR being a business has nothing to do with what's being discussed here Mr. NASCAR apologist.

NASCAR doesn't give a rats ass what I think and I like it that way, but they better start caring about ALL those fans who no longer are fans and those that are increasingly giving up on NASCAR and not attending races or even bothering to watch their races on TV. NASCAR has reached the point where no NASCAR at all is nearly as appealing as the gimmicked up bull$hit that they're trying to pass off as entertaining competition. I NEVER thought I'd ever say that since I've been a faithful follower of NASCAR since I was 8 or 9 years old and it does not make me happy to feel the way I do. But, the gimmicked up BS and the phony artificial drama and now a guy is positioning himself to win a championship after running a vastly abbreviated schedule has rendered NASCAR a veritable laughing stock along with those who would defend this travesty. I promise you that the legitimate sports media will have a field day with that, and rightfully so. The fact that NASCAR is allowing, even promoting, a driver an avenue to a championship under these circumstance is beyond all common logic.

Stop rolling your eyes and offer a viable, and believable rationalization of how a sanction can disregard a basic tenant of fair competition in order to allow a guy who has competed in almost 1/2 of the required races and he can still become a champion. Something besides NASCAR is guilt ridden about Busch being busted up at Daytona and they can do whatever they want. NASCAR can flaunt the rules however they see fit but basic common sense would dictate that this is not the way fair competition is conducted. A competitor that is deemed champion without participating in all the events is not a champion, period. Now, roll your eyes some more (like I care about that!!) and watch the recording of the Brickyard again. LOL!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    I too could care less what some think of NASCAR but, I also agree if you don't make all the races your out.
    Thanks for putting the situation into concise, easy to understand terms Kid.
    Last edited by CIRF; 07-28-2015 at 09:47 AM.

As is usually the case you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. You have no idea how I truly feel about anyone, least of all some NASCAR driver. And, NASCAR being a business has nothing to do with what's being discussed here Mr. NASCAR apologist.

NASCAR doesn't give a rats ass what I think and I like it that way, but they better start caring about ALL those fans who no longer are fans and those that are increasingly giving up on NASCAR and not attending races or even bothering to watch their races on TV. NASCAR has reached the point where no NASCAR at all is nearly as appealing as the gimmicked up bull$hit that they're trying to pass off as entertaining competition. I NEVER thought I'd ever say that since I've been a faithful follower of NASCAR since I was 8 or 9 years old and it does not make me happy to feel the way I do. But, the gimmicked up BS and the phony artificial drama and now a guy is positioning himself to win a championship after running a vastly abbreviated schedule has rendered NASCAR a veritable laughing stock along with those who would defend this travesty. I promise you that the legitimate sports media will have a field day with that, and rightfully so. The fact that NASCAR is allowing, even promoting, a driver an avenue to a championship under these circumstance is beyond all common logic.

Stop rolling your eyes and offer a viable, and believable rationalization of how a sanction can disregard a basic tenant of fair competition in order to allow a guy who has competed in almost 1/2 of the required races and he can still become a champion. Something besides NASCAR is guilt ridden about Busch being busted up at Daytona and they can do whatever they want. NASCAR can flaunt the rules however they see fit but basic common sense would dictate that this is not the way fair competition is conducted. A competitor that is deemed champion without participating in all the events is not a champion, period. Now, roll your eyes some more (like I care about that!!) and watch the recording of the Brickyard again. LOL!!

Thanks for putting the situation into concise, easy to understand terms Kid.
    It's really very simple, its their business, they can run it any way they wish....I don't believe I have heard one competitor complain, not a single one.....only you bench monkeys....I think its pretty much astounding that Kyle is able to do what he has done in the length of time he has done it and the likes of folk such as yourself cling to the days of old sniveling he didn't run all the races .... a baseball pitcher doesn't pitch every game, but gets to participate in the World Series, doesn't he? What's the dif? Even if he's injured, he still gets the ring..... same in foot ball and soccer.... you have zero complaint.... and no precedence.....

One big reality show as I have said 100 times on here. Let Dale Jr. retire and they are bankrupt. Since 2004, a Championship now means the stars aligned your way the last few races. Before 2004,to win the title, your team had to be the best ALL YEAR LONG. 2001 Nearly all the events were on national networks. Now the majority are on third rate cable networks. Mudslinger, while this may be considered a team sport, it is a Driver's Championship, not the owners championship. That's what has gotten Nascar in the shape that it's in: TRYING TO BE LIKE OTHER SPORTS.

To win 4/5 of the last races, and go from LAST in points to 32nd. is pretty impressive. And i've never been a shrub fan. He deserves to be in the Chase. Anyone whos says different is an idiot/fool, or both.

I agree that it's awesome. Kyle is the man. His accident was unfortunate, but the fact that you can skip half the season and still win the title hurts the integrity of not only the sport as a whole but to each of those first 26 races. Before 2004, every race counted the same. Now, you can win 35 races and lose the title to someone who wins one-or even none. Would be just as well off putting 43 drivers names in a hat and drawing the driver who wins.

Let me also add, this switching network crap really gets me. I had to upgrade my DirecTV ($11.00 extra) to get this NBCSHD channel. I can't stand the race callers. They are wrong about virtually everything that comes out of their ponytailed mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    To win 4/5 of the last races, and go from LAST in points to 32nd. is pretty impressive. And i've never been a shrub fan. He deserves to be in the Chase. Anyone whos says different is an idiot/fool, or both.
    Really?

How big of a idiot/fool or both would consider a championship legitimate when that champion only ran maybe 1/2 the races.

Now that's a special kind of idiot/fool.