Thread: Don Bohlander

Default Don Bohlander

We lost a great one today!

I remember being a 5 or 6 and he used to let us kids climb into his car and he would drive us up on to the trailer after the races!

It was a true Honor to see him get inducted into the hall of fame.
    Race tracker-- RAIN and COLD "killing me smalls"

One of my childhood heroes. Rest in peace Don.
    8/13/16

Rest in peace Mr. Bohlander.

I first watched Don race at the old Mt. Hawley location of Peoria Speedway when I was a very small child. After I got a little older I remember him racing the red and white #57 Plymouth at the present Farmington Road location. He mixed it up with the likes of Donny Bitner, Jerry Roedel, Don Dane, Johnny Beauchamp, Ernie Schaefer, Herb "Shotgun" Shannon, Di ckie Hutton, the Bolen Bros., Les Peterson and all the Strube's among many more that I'm not remembering.

Don held his own against some of the best Iowa had to offer at Sterling Speedbowl Park. Guys like Verlin Eaker (who won one of the first World Hundred's), Darrell Dake (who qualified for a couple Daytona 500's), John Connelly, Bill McDonough and many more.

More often than not Mr. Bohlander came out on top, especially at Peoria.

One great, great racer and by all accounts, a good guy.

Sad news, indeed.

Sad day for sure

Dang, that's a shame. He was always down at the track helping to spread the word on Parkinsons disease. RIP

Don Bohlander in one word... Class. I helped in the late 80's when he drove Stan Shields 84 here in Peoria. And once or twice when he drove Roy Shields USAC Stock Car. What a class guy. He was always upbeat, friendly, smart like a fox, funny and an amazing, smart driver. He ran the bottom to perfection. Guys would think they were on the bottom already. Then they'd see Don's nose working up underneath. It would cause them to lose their concentration and he'd roll right on through. It was fun to watch. What he went through with Parkinsons and how he handled it is worthy of a courage award. And his wife Val never left his side.

Im lucky, saw him race many times in the Quad City area. A top driver who always caught your attension. RIP Don.

Quote Originally Posted by F.B.I. View Post
    Sad day in Il racing!

RIP Mr. Bohlander

Hope Peoria makes the next Bohlander Race one of the bigger races in IL in his honor!!
    Yes it is a sad day. You would think that Peoria Speedway would post something on their website about one of the best drivers in the history of their track(which they haven't as of now).

R.I.P. Don

I grew up watching him battle Darrell Dake, the Strube's, Allen May, John Connelly at Sterling Illinois. He will be missed.
    The Kerrminator

Visit my Facebook Site: GARAGE WOODSHOP and see my Dirt Car Clocks.