Unhappy How do I know when a tire is toast?

I run bomber, so in other words, I'm on a budget. I cannot afford new tires every race like some of the teams I see running.

So, with that it mind, how do I know I'm done on a tire? I have run Hoosier E-mod D, A, and H tires.

All my D's feather over eventually, and I know they are shot obviously. How can I know if an A or H is done? They dont seem to feather over like the D's, yet I see winning cars slapping on brand new tires every feature. Yeah, I would too if money allowed, but what is too far gone to continue or run yet another race?

Can a guy get multiple races out of a set of tires or do I need to buy new every race? (I wont of course)

Buy a tire durometer gauge, they are pretty cheap on ebay.

See what a new tires tests at and then check your used tires and see if they are getting harder after each heat cycle. The other part is how quick you are wearing down the nice square edge on the tread blocks. Are you allowed to sand, grind, or sipe your tires? Sanding can square up the edge, grinding can get you down to some fresh rubber and help soften the tire. Lots of sipes on a tire thats getting hard will allow you to get another night or two out of it.

Another good idea is to walk over to those teams that bolt up new tires every night and ask them if you can buy some tires with 1 night on them. Find the right team and you just might get some free tires.

Eric

Nothing is faster than a new tire. With that said, can you still win on older tires? Sure, you just need to take care of what you have. I never leave the dirt and mud on a tire after the race. Everything gets power washed the next morning. The dirt and mud left on a tire to dry all week acts like a sponge and sucks the oils out of the tire making its racing life much shorter. You got to grind the tires after they are properly washed, this breaks the glaze and exposes fresh rubber. I like a 36 grit disc. You also grind to sharpen the edges that get rounded. You want the sharpest edge facing to the right. When grinding always be aware of the spinning direction of your grinding disc, you want the disc to be spinning off the edge your trying to sharpen not into the edge which destroys what you are trying to do. Pay attention to left side or right side tires, to always grind in the correct direction. When one side of tires edge is gone, flip the tire around to the fresh edge's. When I can no longer get a good edge, its time for a new tire. Some tips that might help

Dave
    Last edited by Racer96m; 07-28-2015 at 06:29 AM.
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

Another tip: Have 2 sets of tires or at least right sides. Run the older tires for practice and heats, bolt on newer set or right sides for feature. Maintain them just like racer96m said above, but most important remember this: new tires will always be faster!
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.