Thread: Fuel problem

Default Fuel problem

I have a mechanical fuel pump with an inline fuel filter just after the pump. The last two weeks the car begins to spit and sputter in the heat and will barely even run at all by feature time due to what seems to be starvation of fuel. When you first start the car, the fuel pump fills the filter and the car runs good, but if you let it idle or shut it back off the fuel runs back out of the filter.which it didn't use to do. Obviously I can't tell exactly what it's doing during the race because I can't see it, but I imagine it's the same thing. I'm new to the mechanical side of things so any help is much appreciated.

Sounds like you have a air leak in some where. Check all fittings from the fuel cell all the way to the carb. Do not forget to check the fitting inside the fuel cell. CJ

Install a fuel-pressure gauge up at the input to the carb. With a line back to the gauge inside the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit. With power applied to the engine on the race track, if the carb is a Holley 2-bbl, the fuel-pressure should be 5#-6# with the engine under power. If it's not, you have a problem. Bad fuel pump, partially plugged fuel filter, bad fuel line from the tank to the pump(which could be 'pinching off' under fuel pump suction). Dave

Ditch the plastic filter you can see thru and run a steel filter. That paper element clogs up quick.