Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTechKs View Post
    Wait a second, I know for a fact that IMCA will allow the crates to be repaired. And I also know that IMCA does not have an official standing there when these engines are repaired. DO THEY Know it all..... I know for a fact of a 604 that was sent to Carl's Chevrolet and had to have two pistons replaced that only had 4 races on it, It also had to have the valves in those two cylinders replaced. It had to be completely taken apart, cleaned and reassembled. The engine was completely together when it was resealed with the IMCA cable seals...... NOT ONE TIME when this was done did an IMCA official check a single thing being done to this engine........... That's what one of the guys in the shop told the guy that owns the engine, He Said that with Carl's being a dealer and repair center approved by IMCA they hardly ever see anyone from IMCA..... So Smart guy whats really being done to those engines if its my buddy having something done..........I KNOW..... YOU DONT HAVE A CLUE.....But your going to tell everyone you do. Blow your smoke up someone else's back side and fog there vision with your BS but your not going to convince me with your BS....
    thanks for jumping in RaceTech, I agree with your comments and have heard others complain. The Speedway site claims they can repair crates also.....and re-seal with approved seals. But as has been shown on here you can buy sealing bolts and do whatever you want.

Out in the garage working on the race car

I used to be against the crate engine because I used to build my own. I took 2015 off from racing but was still at the track every week with friends. Drove for a friend who had a crate and it was my first experience. Ended up winning the heat race and feature leading every lap in both. That was the 4th night out on the car ad my first time in a car all year. I will say I had to take back everything I ever said about the crate. The crate is pretty easy to drive. I would still prefer to build my own engines but in my class if you have the open motors you have to run a 2 barrel carb and weigh 200 lbs more. They are forcing our hands in getting the crates. I will be getting a crate.
    Josh Smith #35

Default IMCA Interntional "MOTOR" Contest Association

Every one should get to have the same body and weight rules. Period!!!!!After all it is a motor contest!!!!

Passing time, what are you talking about??? In imca the body rules and weight rules ARE the same between crate and open! In the sportmod and a mod class....

Crates are good for the sport I hear racers I want to build my own engine few garage builders can compete against a professional engine builder. Some say easy to cheat a crate .Its a lot easier to tech it then a open engine rules .No matter what the rules are some racers will try to cheat. Crate add ons cost more not true you can buy 2k set of headers for open or crate..same with carbs...If you believe all the hype about crates cost 10-20k BS your a fool..I have spent more money fixing a open engine then a crate cost. With a crates there no more wondering what does he have a 415 a 380 turning 9k rpm ???? Its the same story as always work on your chassis learn how to drive and you will win...Ive seen a lot of racers get out because of engine cost crate prob will save a few more from getting out..

Quote Originally Posted by raceking26 View Post
    Passing time, what are you talking about??? In imca the body rules and weight rules ARE the same between crate and open! In the sportmod and a mod class....

FWIW in Michigan the crate motor never got a spoiler, AND has to add 50lbs of lead in front of the motor plate... and a crate won 8 races at the best prepared track in the state. Open motors won more at the track that was always dry and slick. Open motors have a 6800rpm chip rule and the claim is only $750. My take is that the same guys will run up front regardless, all the guys winning are good racers and are working hard on their stuff.

I race up here, I want to run some of the national races. I have some problems though. I DONT want to add lead for the crate, and I am not opposed to spending more for a better engine for big money races with you boys in Iowa.

Does it make sense to get a crate? or with this year's rules removing the spoilers, will the open engines have an advantage (lighter, more power, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Ive always known about your rules up there, not sure why those aren't the same ones here in Iowa.
    seems to work, CMS gets ~30cars a night...

so same question... does the crate still seem to have an advantage without the spoiler?
    (not a rhetorical question, I really want to know)

Crate motors are lighter, Hence more rear percentage, if both have matching total weight after the race. Year end specials that ran both IMCA and USRA. The opens always had to add weight in front for aluminum heads. No matter what aluminum heads you were running. More if not running 23 degree heads.So removing the spoiler and adding weight in front of the mid shift plate evens out the field. JMHOProbably does not answer your question. But weight placement in the right places is a plus to get then to work right.

Quote Originally Posted by passingtime View Post
    Crate motors are lighter, Hence more rear percentage, if both have matching total weight after the race. Year end specials that ran both IMCA and USRA. The opens always had to add weight in front for aluminum heads. No matter what aluminum heads you were running. More if not running 23 degree heads.So removing the spoiler and adding weight in front of the mid shift plate evens out the field. JMHOProbably does not answer your question. But weight placement in the right places is a plus to get then to work right.
    I'm onboard with that logic, its really the basis of my question, but the proof I trust is in results. What is happening in the races we've seen in NM and AZ so far?

FWIW I have no problem building a lightweight open motor that is lighter than the crate, but maybe thats not the answer? Maybe the roller cam makes the power where its needed? IDK, but I figured results are the best answer.

Of course the crate is winning in az. There are 4-5 open and 50 crates there.

The advantage was the spoiler and the alum heads reducing the over all weight. The crate is easy to drive because of the low hp, low rpm, heavy rotating assembly.

If we had to add 50# in the rest of imca land I bet there would be more open engines racing.

I'll run both and stick with whatever I feel is faster for me.
    That's a good point in regards to the mix of engines, I dont have any idea what that is like across the country.

If there weren't the 50# penalty I would just buy a crate, but I dont want to change my car that much to swap engines. (maybe I'm over thinking it)

My instinct is matching your statement about the spoiler being the big advantage. The easy answer is to buy both, but thats what I'm trying to avoid just because I would rather have the $6k in cash than engines.

Are you winning with your open engine now?
    I hold my own at my local track, won a few heats, run top 5's... can transfer out of B-mains at will if needed. This will be my first season focused on the IMCA mod, I ran a couple different classes last year.

I'm not expecting to buy wins, but I don't want to take a shovel to a gun fight either when I go to the nationals.

back to the lecture at hand, I liked your approach to making an open motor with the smooth torque curve and low RPM. I might employ that idea if I cant think of another reason for the crate to have an advantage... lots of variables to consider but I wish I could use a hyd roller profile.

When we will see the day that the CT525 is allowed in modifieds? I don't have enough knowledge to know the pros/cons on this so would someone enlighten me?

USRA Modifieds allow CT525 crate

Quote Originally Posted by Hemm View Post
    USRA Modifieds allow CT525 crate
    But require so much extra weight they are not competitive anymore.