Thread: front sway bar

Question front sway bar

What advantage, if any, is there to running a front sway bar? We have never been able to get the push out with a sway bar but I see cars that handle great with a front sway bar. This is on a metric chassis.

Unless you track is like pavement no need. are you running it solid on the right link and a bolt loose thru it on the left? 1/8 slop on left is start point on pavement, up to 3/4" loose had worked for me on pavement.

I would like some info on tuning a sway bar. I do not know just how the chassis reacts to adjustments. We just bought another street stock and it has a front sway bar. The bolts on both ends are liek they were in the stock position, both ends down tight. This was a very fast car.

I looked at the car we just got and the sway bar is hooked up about 3" shorter on the left side than it is on the right side.

A front sway bar works great for a class that doesnt allow weight jacks! I ran one about 15 years ago. I made my "links" adjustable. Left side had almost no link at all, was just bolted to the arm with some stiff rubber bushings. The right side was a 1/2" or 5/8" stainless "all-thread". Cheap stuff will bend on a rough track. I ran the right side somewhere in the 4-6" range. Just put the car on the scales and take some notes on how your numbers change throughout the adjustment range. Eric

The car we just got does not have weiht jacks on the front, just on the rear. Both our other cars have weight jacks on all four corners.

Quote Originally Posted by floppyfoot View Post
    I looked at the car we just got and the sway bar is hooked up about 3" shorter on the left side than it is on the right side.
    the right side should be solid like oem about 4 inches above the a arm.

the left side is just a bolt thru it with double nut on one end.. start with that side 1/8 loose with the driver in the car. tighten it up if you are loose loosen it up if you are tight.

Thanks forthe info.

We ran them on camaros with 500lb r/f spring 400 l/f .Did not like any free play in them.Ran them neutral in the tack then would crank the l/f down in the slick to tighten car.