Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how to stop people from jumping starts

I watch a lot of DoD and go to a lot of races. There are way to many drivers jumping starts then get penalized. Sometimes poll just doesn't fire and everyone brake checks and hes gone, sometimes row 2 or 3 will be even with poll at flag stand. Here's a thought I came up with after the 5th start of a crate race. Why can't the tracks put a green light where drivers can see it. So when the flag man flips the switch to green its on. This would stop turn 3 starts and drivers trying to blast to front on the start from row 3. Just a thought what does everyone else think?

THIS BRINGS BACK SOME VERY OLD MEMORYS. A long time ago there was a track in east ky. that got tired of trying to start them one night that they lined um up at flag stand ,and started them from dead start. That was different.

That is how central IL flagman Swede Gaiellert did it for years....actually in the 50's he would start races by standing in the middle of the track, all drivers lined up, jump up in the air waving the green flag, (standing start) they would all drive around him and the race was on. Eventually he moved onto modern times with the flying starts, BUT if the drivers could not get it right after the second time, he would stop them, with red flag in the air and walk off towards the flagman's stand and THEN jump up and throw the green.....did not happen very often, did not have to happen very often....
    Last edited by racenut; 08-07-2015 at 03:32 PM.
    Racenut Rambles on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MEE View Post
    THIS BRINGS BACK SOME VERY OLD MEMORYS. A long time ago there was a track in east ky. that got tired of trying to start them one night that they lined um up at flag stand ,and started them from dead start. That was different.
    That would actually be pretty cool to see........
    EVERYBODY HAS A GAME PLAN, UNTIL THEY GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE.......M.T

I like the old chalk line coming out of 4. With that line, you can really tell who fires too early.
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by falsfanb12 View Post
    I watch a lot of DoD and go to a lot of races. There are way to many drivers jumping starts then get penalized. Sometimes poll just doesn't fire and everyone brake checks and hes gone, sometimes row 2 or 3 will be even with poll at flag stand. Here's a thought I came up with after the 5th start of a crate race. Why can't the tracks put a green light where drivers can see it. So when the flag man flips the switch to green its on. This would stop turn 3 starts and drivers trying to blast to front on the start from row 3. Just a thought what does everyone else think?
    All you need is a flagman with the authority and the guts to call back the race and put the "jumper" to the tail. It wouldn't happen very often once it is established that it WILL be enforced.

The problem is there are too many flagmen and/or other officials in charge that would rather be butt kissers to the drivers instead of enforcing the rules.

Maybe they need a hillbilly to stand in the fourth turn with a shotgun aimed at the front row???

Quote Originally Posted by 25drtrkr View Post
    I like the old chalk line coming out of 4. With that line, you can really tell who fires too early.
    I always liked the old orange cone on the track deal. Especially when they put the cone about five feet from the outside wall.

Back in the late 1960's Peoria Speedway started them THREE WIDE from a standing start. Not sure when they did away with that policy but it made for some very interesting door to door action through turns 1 & 2.

That 4 wide salute deal they do now would be a great way to start a dirt late model race. I wish they'd start them that way sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Back in the late 1960's Peoria Speedway started them THREE WIDE from a standing start. Not sure when they did away with that policy but it made for some very interesting door to door action through turns 1 & 2.

That 4 wide salute deal they do now would be a great way to start a dirt late model race. I wish they'd start them that way sometime.
    That was D!ck Wilson as the flagman. They stopped doing it in the early to mid 70's. it was something to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddboy1 View Post
    That was D!ck Wilson as the flagman. They stopped doing it in the early to mid 70's. it was something to see.
    Wasn't Lloyd Caldwell the flagman at Peoria for quite a while?

And yes Baddboy, it was truly a sight, especially come feature time when there were 20 some cars lined up 3 abreast getting into 1 & 2.

Quote Originally Posted by falsfanb12 View Post
    noticed that as well watching DOD. a lot of drivers penalized when the polesitter doesn't go, in all types of series. I like your idea!!

Place an orange cone on the track and on the outside wall/fence. Place both of those orange cones 100' from the flagstand towards turn 4 to establish "the starting zone" that is between those orange cones and the flagstand.
    Place the on track orange cone far enough from the outside wall for 2 wide passage with a little extra space.
    Cars move slowly 2 wide side by side and don't get on the gas WFO until the green flag flies and the green flag could fly when the front row is anywhere inside "the starting zone."

Ya Racenut, if I recall, he also had some broken legs out of that deal.

i think at kankakee years ago they could flip the green light on when the cars were on the backstretch...you had to be ready

Getting a good start is just part of the game. Jumping the start is just part of it. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes, you don't. Sometimes, someone else does it better.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Wasn't Lloyd Caldwell the flagman at Peoria for quite a while?

And yes Baddboy, it was truly a sight, especially come feature time when there were 20 some cars lined up 3 abreast getting into 1 & 2.
    Lloyd was just before I remember the racing at Peoria. Forgot him my bad.

I don't know about a Lloyd Caldwell at Peoria but Lloyd Ewing was a long time flagman at Peoria. Pretty sure he was there during the transition from standing starts to rolling starts. Lloyd flagged from the track for a long period of time before moving into a flagman's stand.
    Kind of OT but my Dad tells this story of Lloyd with the layover flag: He'd show it to you and if you weren't out of the way on the next lap, he'd point it at you. If you were still in the way the next time by, he'd come out on the track and stick it in the driver's side window...SEE IT NOW??
    Dad also says he spent a lot of time holding Lloyds glasses after the races as well...

http://randylewis.org/wp-content/upl...er-Special.jpg

Lloyd Caldwell and Lloyd Ewing @ Peoria Speedway.

Is that coiled rope being used as roll bar padding?
    Last edited by 427c.i.; 08-10-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 427c.i. View Post
    I don't know about a Lloyd Caldwell at Peoria but Lloyd Ewing was a long time flagman at Peoria. Pretty sure he was there during the transition from standing starts to rolling starts. Lloyd flagged from the track for a long period of time before moving into a flagman's stand.
    Kind of OT but my Dad tells this story of Lloyd with the layover flag: He'd show it to you and if you weren't out of the way on the next lap, he'd point it at you. If you were still in the way the next time by, he'd come out on the track and stick it in the driver's side window...SEE IT NOW??
    Dad also says he spent a lot of time holding Lloyds glasses after the races as well...
    I stand humbly corrected 427, it was Lloyd Ewing I was thinking of. I sometimes get the "Lloyd's" mixed up. Thank you kindly for setting me straight.

The flying starts may be the "modern" way due mainly to the drive-line equipment used today but I will always believe those 3 wide standing starts at Peoria were as exciting as a start to a race could be.