Default Left Rear Front Shock, Yes or No???

So what is the opinion on LRF shock? Is everyone running them? Are people going away from them and just running a chain limiter? Pros and cons of each and in what scenarios are one or the other best to run?

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    So what is the opinion on LRF shock? Is everyone running them? Are people going away from them and just running a chain limiter? Pros and cons of each and in what scenarios are one or the other best to run?
    No matter how many shocks you have, a chain limiter is need because shocks are not meant to be limiters.

Number of shocks is preference. If you are good at keeping car on bars, front shock not needed
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Agreeing with MB that your shock(s) should never be a travel limiter.
    1) Bad on the shocks
    2) Travel limit changes with bar changes if you use anything mounted to the birdcage like a shock
    Use a chain to the axle tube...that's the best way.
    MB is also right in that a shock in front is not needed if the driver can keep the car on the bars. That being said, Bloomquist, Owens, and many other top drivers use a shock in front of LR...so go figure.

Davenport says no

since getting on the soft rt front set up, we have not needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drop Shock View Post
    Davenport says no
    Not when you have the "Rumley device"
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Saw pics of it.....Pretty interesting.....

where can you see these pics ?

Saw it on a track photographer page yesterday but they have since been removed.......I'll see if i can hunt it down. I know of someone who is trying to duplicate the birdcage assembly right now but there are rumors of it being banned

I seen a couple of pics on facebook of his left rear... but I didn't see much in that picture. Must've been a better one than that one.

I found those pics as well. all I could see is what looked like a shock of some kind coming down to what looked like the center of the axle on left side instead of in front of axle.

Yep, I did notice that as well.

I saw Gene's and a friend that was there had a pic he sent to my phone but I didn't save it .

Someone got a pic of it at cedar lake nationals. Seemed like the pic was too good for it to be a bystander though. Maybe he put some fake parts on there then took a pic to have circulated around to screw with everyone.

I haven't seen any pictures. I believe they have some sort of cantilever system that is applying load to the LR axle tube (via the coilover that everyone is seeing) as the car rolls to the right. So as the car rolls, instead of the RR spring taking all the weight, some of it is getting redistributed to the LR.

If you are running an undersling car, do you still need the Limiter Chain?

I don't run one. I have one and have run it twice don't really like it. I don't run a limiter either just run a cushion on the underslung bar. Works fine for me

Quote Originally Posted by redfred View Post
    If you are running an undersling car, do you still need the Limiter Chain?
    Basically the same thing, just different way to stop the rear-end. Just easier to adjust the chain then changing the under-sling as a stop unless your using an adjustable devise on the under-sling.

running the shock to the axle tube is like running the shock on a clamp bracket..some like it some dont(the clamp brkt)..i like the chain limiter and the shock on a clamp bracket(with a lot of gas pressure it seems more effective than on the birdcage/also adds more l.r. drop if you need it ) with minimal traction..im sure some will dissagree..jmo..windy..~V~..