Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Cool Flash

Congrats to Weaver. Bout time! Well deserved win at FALS. Bet that was fun to watch.

Go 18!!

Quote Originally Posted by ptown View Post
    Urgency for what? They were done racing at 11pm
    Only a constructive criticism to make a great track better.

Yes. Done at 11:05 with a program that consisted of 11 heats, no semis and 5 features (one of which was hobby mods with only 5 cars and was over in less than ten minutes).

The mod rollover event was only ten minutes total.

Ask around and see what the top aspects are that are discussed at promoter workshops. You will find one of them to be "move the program along."

Like him or hate him, Bob Sargent comes up in any discussion of great promoters. Try to think of the last time a Sargent promoted event ran late.

Congrats to Weaver. Awesome race!

They did start late because of the Friiedman rollover in hot laps.

didnt help the UMP demo...I mean street stocks, they need to put in a time limit or something it took almost a half-hour to do the last 5 laps not b!tching though great show just need to move the lower levels along abit

Feger didn't have much on the bottom, was bad fast on the top though. If he could've gotten around Shirley it would've been a great race up front. Still a good race, and great job by Weaver. McKay did good coming up from the back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skids View Post
    Only a constructive criticism to make a great track better.

Yes. Done at 11:05 with a program that consisted of 11 heats, no semis and 5 features (one of which was hobby mods with only 5 cars and was over in less than ten minutes).

The mod rollover event was only ten minutes total.

Ask around and see what the top aspects are that are discussed at promoter workshops. You will find one of them to be "move the program along."

Like him or hate him, Bob Sargent comes up in any discussion of great promoters. Try to think of the last time a Sargent promoted event ran late.

Congrats to Weaver. Awesome race!
    Don't have to think much on that subject.

I was at the POWRi show at Macon last September 5th and it was the longest drawn out marathon I've witnessed in a very long time. The POWRi feature didn't line up until just before midnight. A friend from another state who goes to a lot of races in a season was with me and was thoroughly disgusted, as was I.

It happened again at the POWRi show this past June at Macon. 11:45 PM and they were just lining up the A-main. Between that and the support classes wearing out the race track before the headline event it caused such a stir after the June race that Sarge cut back on the support classes to the tune of 3 less for the July 3rd and 4th shows. That June deal was referred to by more than one on another forum as like being held hostage. Many hard core fans walked out of Mighty Macon that night shaking their heads in disgust.

Oh yes, Sarge can easily be mentioned in the same breath as a marathon show.

Weaver can still get it done.. So can Babb

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Don't have to think much on that subject.

I was at the POWRi show at Macon last September 5th and it was the longest drawn out marathon I've witnessed in a very long time. The POWRi feature didn't line up until just before midnight. A friend from another state who goes to a lot of races in a season was with me and was thoroughly disgusted, as was I.

It happened again at the POWRi show this past June at Macon. 11:45 PM and they were just lining up the A-main. Between that and the support classes wearing out the race track before the headline event it caused such a stir after the June race that Sarge cut back on the support classes to the tune of 3 less for the July 3rd and 4th shows. That June deal was referred to by more than one on another forum as like being held hostage. Many hard core fans walked out of Mighty Macon that night shaking their heads in disgust.

Oh yes, Sarge can easily be mentioned in the same breath as a marathon show.
    I was forewarned that you'd bring this up. It does not negate my point though. It is the exception, not the rule with Sargent. In fact you are making my point again. Nobody likes drawn out shows. Perhaps the POWRi sprints are the common denominator in those two late nights. Who knows? You note too many support classes burning up the track. FALS had 5 classes, one of which had 5 cars. NO semis. And still couldn't get done by 11:00. If it was a one time deal, I could maybe understand. But it's been 11:00 or after 90% of the time this year with similar (no semis) situations the norm.

Each situation is obviously different, but an efficiently run show should remain a top priority. I also note that you said Sarge made adjustments after the most recent late night to fix the issue. I am merely hoping FALS will do the same. But, as I said in my original post, I see no efforts being made as of yet.

IMO there is no excuse for 4 features to take 2 hours to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by skids View Post
    I was forewarned that you'd bring this up. It does not negate my point though. It is the exception, not the rule with Sargent. In fact you are making my point again. Nobody likes drawn out shows. Perhaps the POWRi sprints are the common denominator in those two late nights. Who knows? You note too many support classes burning up the track. FALS had 5 classes, one of which had 5 cars. NO semis. And still couldn't get done by 11:00. If it was a one time deal, I could maybe understand. But it's been 11:00 or after 90% of the time this year with similar (no semis) situations the norm.

Each situation is obviously different, but an efficiently run show should remain a top priority. I also note that you said Sarge made adjustments after the most recent late night to fix the issue. I am merely hoping FALS will do the same. But, as I said in my original post, I see no efforts being made as of yet.

IMO there is no excuse for 4 features to take 2 hours to complete.
    I'm with ya' skidsy, no excuse for that.

Just for the record:

Number 1: POWRi does not have a sprint car division. Number 2: POWRi is one of the best dirt track sanctions in the country and they didn't string the show out, Sarge did. POWRi doesn't need me to carry their water for them, they can stand proud on their own merits. That said, what happened at Macon, twice, wasn't due to anything that POWRi did.

The reason Sarge made the adjustments is because he got an abundance of heat from both spectators and competitors alike following the June POWRi show. And he should have. It's good that Sarge made the adjustments for 4th of July weekend, but he's right back to having way too many support classes for POWRi again during the State Fair racing weekend coming up the 22nd and 23rd of August. We'll be at Macon for the August 22nd show but if they drag out the show again like they did in Sept. & June we'll be reluctant to attend again.

When does the exception become the rule? You be the judge.
    Last edited by CIRF; 08-17-2015 at 08:26 PM.

I'm coming clean Had the hotel booked in Bloomington for the FALS show Sat night. Learned of the extra classes that were going to race and said to myself, Don't think so........ Seen many great races at FALS but they do have a tendency to putz around.

It's Saturday night. What else ya got to do?
    8/13/16

Skids,
    FALS lack of hustle was a factor in my decision to not attend the ALMS show. Back when they had a curfew the FALS crew ran an incredibly efficient show. Not the case now.

CIRF,
    We were at the POWRi event last September that you mentioned. It was brutal. Part of the problem was they had much of a previous rain shortened POWRi show to make up. Part of the problem was too many support classes, especially considering the extra POWRi races that had to be run. And part of the problem was MANY cautions caused by a few drivers. POWRi NEEDS a 2 spin rule!
    Week in and week out there's not a promoter in the region that runs a more efficient show than Sargent. I remember a POWRi midget and micro show at Macon that included mods, sportsman, ss, and 2 or 3 classes of hornets. 225+ cars in all and they were done by 10:45.

Highside Hustler25,
    That's the attitude that causes promoters to go broke. First off, late running shows will drive off the casual fans and the fans that have young children. Late running shows will drive off the fans that travel a long distance to attend. Look at the empty seats at most races. Promoters should be doing all they can to fill those seats, not driving away existing fans with drawn out shows.
    Support WEEKLY racing......while you still can!

Do you think 11:00 is too late for a Sat. night show Pops? I sure don't but maybe I,m alone here. Who knows.
    8/13/16

I've been to my share of races that were over by 10:30 and I stuck around and socialized until 2:00 or 3:00 AM, but yes, 11:00 is too late for a weekly show. A track that normally runs that late will lose fans eventually. Hardcore fans will stick around to 11:00 or after IF the racing is really good but running that late will cause many fans to find an alternative for their Saturday night entertainment. I can't think of a track that can afford to lose those fans.
    Promoters need to wrap up their shows by 10:15 or 10:30 at the latest.
    Support WEEKLY racing......while you still can!

Quote Originally Posted by Pops15 View Post
    Skids,
    FALS lack of hustle was a factor in my decision to not attend the ALMS show. Back when they had a curfew the FALS crew ran an incredibly efficient show. Not the case now.

CIRF,
    We were at the POWRi event last September that you mentioned. It was brutal. Part of the problem was they had much of a previous rain shortened POWRi show to make up. Part of the problem was too many support classes, especially considering the extra POWRi races that had to be run. And part of the problem was MANY cautions caused by a few drivers. POWRi NEEDS a 2 spin rule!
    Week in and week out there's not a promoter in the region that runs a more efficient show than Sargent. I remember a POWRi midget and micro show at Macon that included mods, sportsman, ss, and 2 or 3 classes of hornets. 225+ cars in all and they were done by 10:45.

Highside Hustler25,
    That's the attitude that causes promoters to go broke. First off, late running shows will drive off the casual fans and the fans that have young children. Late running shows will drive off the fans that travel a long distance to attend. Look at the empty seats at most races. Promoters should be doing all they can to fill those seats, not driving away existing fans with drawn out shows.
    I was at the September POWRi show, too, but I don't recall that many yellows for the midgets, but I could be wrong. I do remember that it took 47 minutes for one of the many hornet features and the street stock feature wasn't much better. At some point we started to time the duration of the support class races on our cell phone stop watches. That was as exciting as the races themselves.

You're correct about the rained out POWRi make-up. I believe they should have run the make up POWRi show prior to everything else. Plus, you were there so you can attest to this, they ran the headliner class A-main's last. That just ain't right!! The track was past worn out, to no ones surprise. Let's face it, ya' don't need a perfect track to race 2 classes of hornets and the street stocks but the headliner classes are another matter, altogether.

As far as Sarge's proficiency at running a show, I've seen his shows drag on and on relatively often over the years. I must admit I don't go to Macon except for specials so I don't have a complete frame of reference for that place. However, I've been to Terre Haute for several USAC shows Bob has promoted and there have been times that make you wonder what can possibly be taking so long.

One thing that is indisputable, Sarge is definitely the King of support class excess!
    Last edited by CIRF; 08-17-2015 at 10:03 PM.

I can see someone's point on having little kids at the track but if your any kind of race fan you should know that most races are gonna run late. If your crying about a race being over at 11 then whats the difference if its over with at 1030. Maybe you guys should take into consideration of the drivers who come from near and far who have to sleep in toter homes to make a living and bring us the entertainment we love so much.

I can see it now they finished at 10:05 now its to short and 10:35 is to late please its Saturday night
    Race tracker-- RAIN and COLD "killing me smalls"

See that's the problem, you guys have a premier dirt track there and still complain. We came down to race from Michigan and the promoter came down and thanked us for being there. A gentleman from the fairboard welcomed us there and all were very friendly. Hands down the best late model race I have ever witnessed. Apparently you guys don't realize how good you have it with that place. Track was great and still races were over around 11. That place receives an A+ in my book! I wish we lived closer is the only downfall.

11 is not late at all. It doesn't help that they had two cars flip, and did some track maintenance. But still, for the circumstances, having it done by 11 is solid. Also, the street stock feature took forever. It was one week that got over a little late boo hoo. Most people stay at FALS much later than 11 anyway.

I always say,"come early, stay late and have a good time." Did you ever pay $30 plus for a ticket to a 2 class show, get out by 9.30 and feel short changed? Seems some would complain if they got hung with a new rope.