Default 01 grt front end question

been working on putting this car together and just put it on ground and set ride heights with a 602 motor but the bottom of the oil pan is only 1 1/4 inches off the ground which will never work. Can anybody tell me what is going on here? It has the 96 style spindles on it which are 11" lf and 10 1/2" on rf

with a wet sump pan, we ran the motor plate in top hole and to the left, use spacers on the motor mount to level engine, make shur your using the right frame height measurements

I will have to double check when I get home but fairly sure its in top hole, I'm using 3 " ride height for front and 4 1/4 for rr

Measure the distance between the lower control arms, it's either 18" or 19", I'm suspecting it's the 19" which use's another front ride hieght.

ok , I will check that too. thanks

ok there is only one hole on frame bracket for engine plate to mount but two holes for side to side. the engine is level. the rf lower arm is 17 5/8 long. the right side frame rail is 4 1/2 inches off the ground. would the 09 spindles help my situation or the MB smackdown ? Also my top arms are sitting at about 30 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by mrt#9 View Post
    ok there is only one hole on frame bracket for engine plate to mount but two holes for side to side. the engine is level. the rf lower arm is 17 5/8 long. the right side frame rail is 4 1/2 inches off the ground. would the 09 spindles help my situation or the MB smackdown ? Also my top arms are sitting at about 30 degrees
    Measure between the bolts that hold the lower control arms to the frame will be either 18" or 19".

You likely have an older mid-plate that only has one hole per corner. The other ones have 4 up and down in each corner to adjust hieght

yeah it is 19" between the bolts and yes I have the midplate with one hole per corner

yeah it is 19" between the bolts and yes I have the midplate with one hole per corner
    Call GRT with chassis number to double check me, but use a 3.625" front ride hieght and see if that don't look right. I pretty sure you have that off front end that was used for a year or 2 as an option.

Does it have a long RF upper shock mount as in it's long as compared to the other cars?

Yes it does with two holes to mount shock

Like I said call GRT and get the basic set up sheet for that car number, but if I remember correctly it should have a 19" RF lower and a 15.625" LF lower but it's been 14 years so.......

I believe that is one of the cars that the front end of the car is also built out of .120 wall tubing for most of the front end. Personally I'd want to change a bunch of stuff on that car, if you have some racing experience, but if not it's likely decent enough to get you some seat time before doing some updates.

Ok thanks I will. I'm all for making changes to help go fast if you have more info. I got nearly 30 years of driving but most of it was in a rayburn and a swing arm mod don't know a lot about four bars. I been out for a few years and decided to get back in. Lol

well talked to Joe this morning and it is supposed to be 3 5/8 front ride heights and 12 1/2 on rr. 15 5/8 left front lower and 19" right front lower and it is actually a 2002 car. Thanks for the help Billet

hey billetbirdcage since i'm gonna have to buy some things that aren't right on this front end, what do you recommend I change or buy?

Well, for starters you will need to cut off the RF upper shock mount (Left one is fine) and install a new short one and replace the RF upper control arm to a 8.25". You will crash the new shorter control arm into the shock top if you don't. You may need to go shorter then 8.25" to get the correct camber so determine length off if you can get the camber or not. You will also pretty much need new one piece lowers to get more travel on the RF as it will be borderline with a older Std 2 piece lower control arm set up as the lower shock mount is likely too high and doesn't have enough exposed shaft on the RF at ride hieght.

I'd also update the 4-link brackets to the newer smaller 1/2" holes, the brackets you have are too big an adjustment. You may also need to raise the RF main rail as it's likely too drag, if it's a square tube car it's not overly hard.

Those are some things off the top of my head.

ok. Already have the updated four bar brackets. It did come with one piece lowers the lf upper is 101/2 rf upper is 81/4 and the lowers are lf 165/8 rf 175/8

Did you ever finish the car? If so, how did it do? Did you change the lowers to the 19" & 15"?