Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blncfn57 View Post
    UMP modifieds have a one shock per wheel rule (plus 8" tires) and some still run 800+ HP engines. I'm not a big proponent of change (because I don't have a realistic answer to fixing the problem). I will say tho, if a sanctioning body is SERIOUS about saving money, they are going to have to be more drastic. These rules they are coming up with are doing very little to address the problem. I believe any rule that is going to be effective is going to require detailed inspections and sanctioning bodies today do not possess the knowledge to do so. They want rules that they can check by a walk by inspection and the racers will always be ahead in that game.
    They are a heavier car and yet most are way overpowered.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    Curious what kind of numbers you are hearing.
    I know for a fact that a legit 900 can be achieved. Who knows what the limit is?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by zeroracing View Post
    To answer MotoMatt, a typical car has 6 shocks on it. one on LF, RF and RR, one on the torque arm and one Left Rear in-front, is what most cars run. Of Course some guys run more, some guys run less but 90% of the field will have those 6.
    Thanks for the explanation. I have never been close enough to an open late model and on the IMCA stuff we were only one per corner and we didn't' run a shock on the torque arm, rather a spring.

In your explanation I count 5 shocks, what am I missing.
    1-each on the rr, rf, lf = 3
    1 on the torque arm
    1 on the lr in front of the axle

Where are they putting the 6th one?

thanks for bringing the slow guy along, now I know what it feels like to be Brian Gray... JK of course.

2 or 3 on the lr of some cars

I think Lucas should let bloomer run his shock package from last year the rest of this year. It is only fair. If davenport is allowed to run his ridiculous design why can't bloomer run his?

I will say this, if they do outlaw what Davenport has, he will be behind the competition for a few months. That's what happened to Bloomer this year. But since davenport has went on his streak everyone else has fine tuned their stuff. If davenport goes back to a traditional setup he will have a lot of tuning to do. But I'm sure Rumley will make quick work of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hotshoe65s View Post
    I think Lucas should let bloomer run his shock package from last year the rest of this year. It is only fair. If davenport is allowed to run his ridiculous design why can't bloomer run his?

I will say this, if they do outlaw what Davenport has, he will be behind the competition for a few months. That's what happened to Bloomer this year. But since davenport has went on his streak everyone else has fine tuned their stuff. If davenport goes back to a traditional setup he will have a lot of tuning to do. But I'm sure Rumley will make quick work of it.
    I think the difference is that bloomers shocks doubled the cost of the car. I have no clue what davenport has but if it doesn't raise the cost significantly they wont outlaw it

People have been using multiple shocks on the LR for the last couple years, Kevin has just found a way to make it work right..... I had a picture last year of Pierces car that showed three shocks on the LR and I know people that tried it and couldn't make it work.

I think they need to leave all of that alone and make people catch up, its good for competition!!!!

The racing for 2nd on back has been pretty good...

Quote Originally Posted by hotshoe65s View Post

I think this post is code for..............(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), that whole 6 team is just GOOD!!!
    EVERYBODY HAS A GAME PLAN, UNTIL THEY GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE.......M.T

Quote Originally Posted by T-MAC39FAN View Post
    Its a $100 item
    Does it even cost THAT much????

This is just over the top hillarious.........people are going to be sooooooooo disappointed.
    EVERYBODY HAS A GAME PLAN, UNTIL THEY GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE.......M.T

Most are using 6 shocks total, counting the 5th arm. The second one on the LR is a traction shock. Alot of the "spreadbore" engines(454ci,etc) are over 900hp already.

Wish I knew how to put quotes in here....

Any of ya old enuff to remember, "Black Jack" Boggs would paint pieces of 2x4's the same color as his weights and place them on the car in all kinds of weird places to get inside his competition's heads. lmao

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    They are a heavier car and yet most are way overpowered.
    I guess by 100lbs now. Was a whopping 50lbs before the quick change was allowed. Have you driven one? I've never heard anyone get out after a race and say "too much motor, it cost me the race". I know I have never said it
    Last edited by blncfn57; 08-12-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by W2Racing09 View Post
    Its not so much that the shock is $1000, but what that shock allows the rest of the car to do. If you are getting more traction as a result of that shock then you can use more motor, which means you need to buy more motor, etc. Small steps like this will back the cost of the cars back to a reasonable range over time. I think with current payouts if the cars were running $30-$40k complete that would be reasonable and you would see less people going in other directions to race. Unfortunately I don't think you can currently find a race ready car new for under $45-$50k and that would probably not be a car that is real competitive on the national tours. As you said $80k is becoming closer to the norm, at that point you may as well just run XFINITY or Sprint Cup where they pay $10k+ to start if you are trying to make a living at it.

Thanks,
    Jeff.
    I understand your point, but if we are gonna dance around the real problem, lets just put them on straight 87 octane pump gas. Why not just make an engine rule instead of attacking the areas that the average racer can make gains.....

I guess by 100lbs now. Was a whopping 50lbs before the quick change was allowed. Have you driven one? I've never heard anyone get out after a race and say "too much motor, it cost me the race". I know I never have.
    I know some successful UMP drivers who got faster with less engine. The tires are narrow and hard. It is simple really.

I believe they used to have to weigh 2500. It is 2400 now, so 100# heavier than a super.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Yeah I just caught that typo, we have the coil over on the LR behind and the traction shock on the front, so 2 total on LR is most common.

Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I know some successful UMP drivers who got faster with less engine. The tires are narrow and hard. It is simple really.

I believe they used to have to weigh 2500. It is 2400 now, so 100# heavier than a super.
    It was 2350 when they ran floaters, then the year they made quick changes legal it was 2350 for floater and 2400 for QC, now it looks like they just went 2400 across the board. 2500 must have been prior to any of that. I guess it doesn't really matter. Still half the tire with not much less HP.

I understand your point, but if we are gonna dance around the real problem, lets just put them on straight 87 octane pump gas. Why not just make an engine rule instead of attacking the areas that the average racer can make gains.....
    Now we're headed in the right direction if we want to save money.

In the 90s the weight rule for mods was 2700 at some tracks . As far as engines go I've seen motors go over 1100 hp in excess of 480ci .

the biggest problem we have is there are too many different kinds of late models.

here ya's go....
    Attached Images Attached Images