Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default new rules for 2016

The hot topic at the north south was that Lucas oil and WOO is considering a one shock per corner rule or a five shock maximum rule. I think this rule is long over due the cost of shocks and the technology involved is way out of hand.

I haven't been around a late model in a while, but how many shocks are on an open late model these days? I was thinking depending on the setup there are 5 maybe 6 in some cases, am I completely off base?

Recent picture of Davenport car shows 5 on left rear
    .instead of rods on four bar they are using shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by tsand View Post
    Anyone have a picture of this?
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

I thought it was funny Kevin said "took a picture of last week's design....." Something new on the horizon...get your cameras out folks.

Quote Originally Posted by tsand View Post
    This is false, although they have tried replacing a 4 link rod with a shock and it absolutely did not work.

They've developed a bird cage for the LR that allows a mounting point of a smaller external canister shock.
    Just anotha guy on 4m who think's they know what they're talking about...

I was told the extra shock on the Left rear was not a shock but a limiter. Possibly a limiter with a bump stop or something like that. Most all use some kind of limiter to control how far you get on the bar. There was a post it the tech section about it a while ago.

To answer MotoMatt, a typical car has 6 shocks on it. one on LF, RF and RR, one on the torque arm and one Left Rear in-front, is what most cars run. Of Course some guys run more, some guys run less but 90% of the field will have those 6.

If true I'm 100% in favor of a 1 shock per corner rule

They have that rule in some of the econo mod classes. You should race in one of them.

....... because a $1000 shock is the problem on 45-$80,000 cars with $60,000 engines..... smh

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    I was told the extra shock on the Left rear was not a shock but a limiter. Possibly a limiter with a bump stop or something like that. Most all use some kind of limiter to control how far you get on the bar. There was a post it the tech section about it a while ago.
    Its no limiter. At least not in that sense.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by blncfn57 View Post
    ....... because a $1000 shock is the problem on 45-$80,000 cars with $60,000 engines..... smh
    Not saying I agree with the rule, but a chassis that doesn't work as good needs less power. The engines that guys are using today would be unuseable 15 years ago.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Not saying I agree with the rule, but a chassis that doesn't work as good needs less power. The engines that guys are using today would be unuseable 15 years ago.
    UMP modifieds have a one shock per wheel rule (plus 8" tires) and some still run 800+ HP engines. I'm not a big proponent of change (because I don't have a realistic answer to fixing the problem). I will say tho, if a sanctioning body is SERIOUS about saving money, they are going to have to be more drastic. These rules they are coming up with are doing very little to address the problem. I believe any rule that is going to be effective is going to require detailed inspections and sanctioning bodies today do not possess the knowledge to do so. They want rules that they can check by a walk by inspection and the racers will always be ahead in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Curious what kind of numbers you are hearing.

Wheeww!!! Before reading these posts, I thought the new rules for 2016 would require Davenport to drag a boat anchor behind his car at all the "money" races. Glad to learn, after reading, that the rules would just be about shocks!

Quote Originally Posted by blncfn57 View Post
    Its not so much that the shock is $1000, but what that shock allows the rest of the car to do. If you are getting more traction as a result of that shock then you can use more motor, which means you need to buy more motor, etc. Small steps like this will back the cost of the cars back to a reasonable range over time. I think with current payouts if the cars were running $30-$40k complete that would be reasonable and you would see less people going in other directions to race. Unfortunately I don't think you can currently find a race ready car new for under $45-$50k and that would probably not be a car that is real competitive on the national tours. As you said $80k is becoming closer to the norm, at that point you may as well just run XFINITY or Sprint Cup where they pay $10k+ to start if you are trying to make a living at it.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by AnothaBenchRacer View Post
    This is false, although they have tried replacing a 4 link rod with a shock and it absolutely did not work. They've developed a bird cage for the LR that allows a mounting point of a smaller external canister shock.
    I have seen this my self a few years a go! Steve Lance Jr Rayburn to be exact

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    They have that rule in some of the econo mod classes. You should race in one of them.
    And hang on for dear life................
    Last edited by Okfine; 08-12-2015 at 09:45 AM.
    EVERYBODY HAS A GAME PLAN, UNTIL THEY GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE.......M.T

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    Wheeww!!! Before reading these posts, I thought the new rules for 2016 would require Davenport to drag a boat anchor behind his car at all the "money" races. Glad to learn, after reading, that the rules would just be about shocks!
    He is dragging boat anchors around behind him this year!!!!

That's what all the fuss is about from the other anchors( uh, drivers, I meant drivers)
    EVERYBODY HAS A GAME PLAN, UNTIL THEY GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE.......M.T