Default Weight placement

Building a new car after being away from racing for about 10 years & seeing a lot of changes. Going from leaf spring to now coils. We used to have the weight to the left & as low as possible and try not to have it at the very back of the car. I've seen a lot now placed higher up & a good bit at the very tail end. Just like to hear your thoughts on this. I would think the more weight dead to the rear would want to sling the car sideways, unless that's what is needed.Thanks for any comments!!

A lot depends on driver preferance. I'm running a rwd Mustang (also set up 4 other cars including 2 V8 cars) and I still setup the old way you mentioned. Above the axle and mostly on the left (side to side depends on the scale readings). From what I've seen those with the weight high and back are trying to get the car to roll over onto the right tires to plant them harder. We've tried it and just can't get a good feel for it so back to the old ways.

Thanks for your input. I'm going to take a good hard look at other cars & go from there, but as you said, "driver preferance". I guess the only real way to tell is to try it both ways...

I'm not the world's expert, but................ On pavement, we keep the weight down low. That slightly decreases the height of the C.G. So the race car won't roll to the right quite as much. We also mount it left to get the race car close to the left-side Rule limit. You gents that run on dirt, mounting the weight high allows the race car to roll more to the right. That plants the right tires harder into the dirt. 84Dave