Default Anyone doing updates at LaSalle speedway and Fairbury tonight

Thanks x
    W

Scott Schmidt wins heat 1, Jimmy Mars wins heat 2 and Derrick Chandler wins heat 3. 25 late models on hand Rich Bell was quick qualifier. Benny

Weaver Schmitt Mars top 3 at FALS

Thanks. Good for weaver. Guessing no one went to lasalle. If any one cares sycamore 4 bar winner was hartzel. With brindle 2nd Olson 3rd and little Jon 4 th

Mike Mataragas doesn't seem to have any trouble beating Jeff there! Don't get me wrong Jeff is a good driver and all but I think you are going a little overboard saying he can't be beat. It would be nice to get some of the lasalle and Fairbury regulars up there for a show.

The M car has been good there also. it would be nice to see new blood there. I thought that the 1500 to win on August 29 th might bring in some new guys but with LaSalle putting up 3000 to win now. I know most will go there. I wonder what the prize fund would have to be to bring in guys like a rich bell and spotala and get 25. (4 bar cars) there. It Would be a good show to see more than 11 cars starting and going around the track. The tightness of the track should make for some interesting passing. My guess is there would be some crazy good racing if the track was like it was this past sat night.

I agree it would be great to see regional stars run a race at Sycamore but there are a couple of tough hurdles to cross in order to acheive that. First they are not a UMP sanctioned track (as of yet) so it would be very difficult to lure these drivers chasing not only track points but national UMP points during the regular season. Therefore, they would need to hold the event either early or late in the season while not in competition with other UMP tracks. The other main issue that I see is payout. In order to draw a quality field of cars you must not only have a sizeable purse for the winner but also a reasonable reward further down the ladder and to all that make the show. Not impossible but difficult. At the same time the track is taking a huge gamble either early or late in the season due primarily to weather. It takes time to plan something of this caliber so what happens if you have to cancel after spending money for advertising, food, tickets, etc. Sycamore definitely has a great track surface night in and night out so I dont see that as an issue but what classes do you run with the late models? perhaps a modified show? Sycamore has made alot of progress over the past several years so lets hope that maybe one day in the future this could be a reality!

Having started my racing adventure at Sycamore in the late 80's, I'm extremely impressed with the improvements there both on the track and off. Fights were common place back then but it is definitely a family friendly environment now. A few of my observations on potential limiting factors in their growing even more: 1) While the track surface has been very good for the races I've seen, it's one lane around the bottom. They need it to develop a cushion to allow some drivers to really put on a show. 2) It's tight in the pits to park even an enclosed trailer, let alone those big rigs some teams have. I know there are pits outside, albeit rather limited as well, but the less convenient things become for racers the less likely they are to show up. 3) You have to be 14 to get in the pits. While maybe only I get hung up on this, every other track within reasonable distance allows minors in the pits (LaSalle, Fairbury, Kankakee, Farmer City and Peoria). That forces my son (also my only crew member) to stay in the stands. If it's not fun for him, it's no good for me. - So that's that, but I definitely appreciate what they're doing for our sport so I hope they keep it up. Let's just hope we have as many options for racing next year as we do right now. I have very fond memories at every one of these tracks and I'd hate to see any of them go away. And oh yeah...Mataragas won at LaSalle on Saturday!
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 08-19-2015 at 04:32 AM.