Default Anybody winning with out of box 602?

We are in B mods. We run a little spec motor and we do ok. Top 5 alot. BUT the winners all seem to have crates. Is anybody out there in B Mods winning with an out of the box crate? ( not been massaged ) or if we buy a crate are we gonna have to have it played with before we have an ice cubes chance? Please be honest. Thanks all.

Where do you race, and under what sanction body?
    Unless your racing against cheated up crates it has less to do with whats done inside the motor and more to do with how its tuned and what parts are being bolted up to it. Lots of guys are winning with 602's that are right out of the box. Eric

Ride Height: I can tell you your not going to win with one right out of the box. If you run the stuff G.M. tells you too your getting beat. I suggest you do some real home work first and prepare yourself for some dyno time. And don't think you can ask the guys that have these winning crates, their not going to be honest and tell everything they have done or spent. But I will tell you if your starting from scratch and going 602 you might as well get $7000.00 out of your pocket....If you can get it all done and be a front runner for that. Might take a little more..... I built a Spec Engine this year just to see what I could do with it. The only thing I reused was the Block and Head Castings. Everything else on or in the engine was brand new. Scat, Eagle, SRP, Mahle, Comp and Manley parts was used. MSD ignition and VDL Carb was also used. And by being able to do all my own assembly work, and ordering all my own parts, I only had $6000.00 including all my machine work. And that engine has 23 shows on it now. This winter it will get checked and fresh bearings and rings.....I might put $600.00 into freshening it back up..... Pretty cheap racing if you ask me. And its in a USRA B-Mod. Have not won this year but have finished very well with it.

Short answer, yes. With good bolt on parts it can be done. Good bolt on parts cost more, but ALL bolt on parts cost something and either engine will need them.

I think it's also reasonable to say it depends on where you race, and who and what you'll be racing against.

Yes. My buddy runs an out of the box 602 in his sport mod and has 5 or 6 wins this year, leading points at one track, tied for points at another. He is running a JDR carb and Beyea headers though, which are pretty costly. He races against guys running Fisher and Stoa claim engines, which they certainly don't give away, but runs toe to toe with them.

Yes you can

there is a big difference between removing seal bolts and cheating up a crate and not running "what GM recommends". Of coarse your not going to run 20w50 oil and what every else the set-up book tells you to run. Joe Gibbs XP1 or XP3 is free hp, along with many other bolt on parts.
    My last 602 made the same HP at night 3 and night 50 and had less then 3% leak down. It was still winning races at night 60 and I still sold it for only a grand less then I paid for it new. 3 sets of 32.00 valve springs during that time was it. You dont get much cheaper then that. Eric

SCD every post that comes to price you always say the price is double for an open motor, it is doubled compared to the purchase price of a crate NOT the race ready price of a crate. I have spoke to multiple engine builders and racers, race ready drop in and go prices are about the same between a 602 crate and a bmod/sportmod/whatever motor. Yes it may be less work throughout the year BUT if you blow up and crate (and it does happen) you can't just open it up and replace whatever like you can in an open motor, so it's not all just cut and dry like it seems.

we run a out of box stock 602 we have put 31 nights on it this year 16 wins two top ten and the rest 3rd or better.we run plain old v pullys nothing fancy other that a holly ultra hp cab and some chassis dyno time.against the open motors we were running i will stay with the crates.

Twister, no disrespect meant but that set up would be at a disadvantage most places where people have good bolt on parts. For sure. It depends on what and who you race against. Pm sent.

Just because I've talked to people don't mean someone don't have experience in the matter, I'm sure you didn't just wake up one day knowing everything racing. If you did good for ya. I can't say i have experience on any motors of MY own as you put it, but have worked on both so I have a little insight on the subject.

I can almost say for certain $6000 was everything done and installed, so he invested a little time in his motor to put it all together and what not. (What else ya go to do in the off season?) 602 is $3400 unless you get a deal from someone but we can let that $200 go, so add headers, carb, add all the bolt on parts and your cost difference doesn't seem as big anymore. I never once said it would be less but it's definitively not a $2500 difference (roughly) one might get from a quick glance at prices.

Not trying to pi$$ in your cornflakes but just putting more factual information out there that crates aren't that much cheaper then a reliably built open motor. Hell now I help on an A-Mod with a $8000 open motor that doesn't get touched during the year but oil changes and we are a top 5 car each week, with a 15yr old car and 100hp less then the rest of the field. All I am getting at is not just crate are dependable if they are build right.

One thing with the crates is MOST guys(around here anyway) are running the $1900 Jones pulley setup.. talk about $$!

Including the alt and water pump. I can get a specific list if you'd like.

Be an a$shole all you want, it doesn't bother me. But my I(<--- see that, ME) I don't feel it a necessity to run the super high dollar water pump/alt because my engine makes enough power as is. Funny thing is, I don't dislike the crate.

So, feel free, Cap't A$shole. Be my guest.

What's the Jones lightweight alt run? $300? A stock style alt runs what.. $50-60?

Power to weight ratio.

For owning a 'business' you sure are a prick.

OH MY GOD I said pulleys when I meant it included the whole setup Jones sells! I forgot the p/s pump too. OH NO! Shame on me.

I spend my money where I need to. I see why people don't like you, and this will be my last post on this.

Have a good one.

The top 3 in the UMP B mod points this year will most likely be 602.Robbie Eilers has good equipment, but he can really wheel a mod.He will be the 2015 B mod Champ this year in my opinion.He doesn't run it alot, but if he gets his races in, he will be the champion in my opinion.