Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: DoD Top 25

Quote Originally Posted by SLIDING SIDEWAYS View Post
    Jd's got bigger nads and holds pedal to floor

That right there deserves to be ranked #1

Default aDLMr Did this...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr
    These ranking do create interest. I think we all can agree that, they are not exactly accurate and mostly for bragging rights. I have a problem with the criteria for the rankings, for some. If a regional driver races 5 times for $5k and wins, did he make less money than a national driver that won a $20k race? (for math impaired, he did not) He sometimes works harder for the $3k win, than a 10k win. It would be interesting to see a list, that gave a point for a dollar on all pay days over $2k, even if it was a 2k to start race. Even make it 1k, that's about break even point for fuel to get there on average. Then have a list for crates and one for limited LM, because they don't run together usually.
    The aDLMr did exactly what you prescribed above, but more. I did not account for local shows because gathering those stats would be extremely time consuming plus a lot tracks are terrible at publishing results (some series are too). I decided to stop the aDLMr because it was fairly time consuming, and even though I really enjoy DLM racing, I could no longer justify the time I spent doing it without getting any sort compensation or adrenaline rush.

DoD claims to have statistician extraordinaire. He likely a good dude, but his in-depth stats are often just scratching the surface. If their stat man is as good as they claim he is then he should create a ranking system that is superior to their current Top 25. DoD is great website, however some of their weekly articles could use some overhauling and a real ranking with some hardcore stats could be the answer.
    In the aDLMr drivers are rewarded for showing up often and performing well against the top competition!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SDLM Rankings View Post
    The aDLMr did exactly what you prescribed above, but more. I did not account for local shows because gathering those stats would be extremely time consuming plus a lot tracks are terrible at publishing results (some series are too). I decided to stop the aDLMr because it was fairly time consuming, and even though I really enjoy DLM racing, I could no longer justify the time I spent doing it without getting any sort compensation or adrenaline rush.

DoD claims to have statistician extraordinaire. He likely a good dude, but his in-depth stats are often just scratching the surface. If their stat man is as good as they claim he is then he should create a ranking system that is superior to their current Top 25. DoD is great website, however some of their weekly articles could use some overhauling and a real ranking with some hardcore stats could be the answer.
    I agree with some factual info being added as part of the criteria, or a the very least some specific guidlines/criteria for the voters to follow. With that said, imo the human element still needs to be a part of any poll.
    Last edited by BerckFan; 08-27-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    I live with fear, but sometimes she lets me race.

Quote Originally Posted by BerckFan View Post
    I agree with some factual info being added as part of the criteria, or a the very least some specific guidlines/criteria for the voters to follow. With that said, imo the human element still needs to be a part of any poll.
    oooooops!!! Better reconsider that one voters opinion following the results of last nights race in PPMS. He might have been smarter than everyone.

Bloomquist needs to win a lot more races this season. To be able take over #1I am Bloomer fan. JD for sure deserves ranked #1. right now
    Last edited by Dirt Racing #1; 08-30-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Not necessarily, the poll is about who is best each week, not averaged over the entire year. That's why they re-vote every week. Otherwise they would just have one poll at the end of the season. I'm not saying one driver is definitely a clear cut #1 over the other, but I would say that the competition is now much tighter given the results of the last 3 races. Certainly don't think its applicable to indicate that someone who doesn't think that JD is #1 at this particular point in time should be fired given the recent results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtfan04 View Post
    Not necessarily, the poll is about who is best each week, not averaged over the entire year. That's why they re-vote every week. Otherwise they would just have one poll at the end of the season. I'm not saying one driver is definitely a clear cut #1 over the other, but I would say that the competition is now much tighter given the results of the last 3 races. Certainly don't think its applicable to indicate that someone who doesn't think that JD is #1 at this particular point in time should be fired given the recent results.
    did't know it went week by week. But still even ifbloomquist keeps winning and JD runs top 3 regularly. Going to be hard put bloomer above Jd. Unless bloomer wins all of crown jewels remaining
    Last edited by Dirt Racing #1; 08-30-2015 at 03:03 PM.

I think the bottom line is the DoD staff is mainly just some armchair racers like us with just a little more computer savvy. They had Moyer Jr. in the top 25 after he got his feelings hurt and quit (retired). Moyer Sr. can take a few weeks off and still be on the top 25. Either way they do a good job and I think their website is good for the sport. It's money well spent in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtfan04 View Post
    To my knowledge, the poll isn't about week to week. It's a reflection of what you have done the entire year. Just like a college football or basketball poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro23 View Post
    To my knowledge, the poll isn't about week to week. It's a reflection of what you have done the entire year. Just like a college football or basketball poll.
    If you pay attention to how quickly a driver can jump up in the standings aftera good run or two you may have a different opinion.

To go along with your college football theory,,,,,, never would the number 2 team beat the no.1 team twice, in consecutive weeks no less and retain the number 1 spot.

It's definately an interesting debate, if ya really want to throw a wrench into it, run the poll like the World Golf Rankings runs theirs. Instead of debating whether Bloomquist should be ranked 1st over Davenport, we would be debating Daveport over Bloomquist, and theirs a possibility Davenport wouldn't even be ranked in the top 5 yet as those rankings go back something like 2 years, but are weighted to majors and recent results I believe. If I remember correctly, it took what seemed like forever to knock Tiger off the #1 spot like 5 years ago.
    Last edited by BerckFan; 08-31-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Well berck that why i dont watch golf, that ranking sucks. You might as well have bcs late model poll over that.

Never said it was a great way of doing it, but it obviously works for them. There are similarities between golf and racing that can be applied here. Pro Tours (2-3 major ones in golf)/WoO & Lucas, lesser known regional tours, majors/crown jewels, exemptions/provisionals etc., and instances of golfers/drivers competing at the same time in different places throughout the year. Just spitballin, not everything's gonna be gold.

Quote Originally Posted by COKEandaSMILE View Post
    If you pay attention to how quickly a driver can jump up in the standings aftera good run or two you may have a different opinion.

To go along with your college football theory,,,,,, never would the number 2 team beat the no.1 team twice, in consecutive weeks no less and retain the number 1 spot.
    The number 1 has beat the number 2 numerous times this year. Therefor he stays at number 1. If it went week by week, Scott would be number 1 this week, but he's not. Davenport holds on to number 1 because of the season he has had to this point. Think about it.

That's a fair point, I'm not disputing the top 2 in the ranking.

The college football theory was thrown into the conversation. Under that form, how often does the next seed down defeat the upper seed and still keep its ranking???? That's all I'm getting at.

And again,,,, I have no problem with the dod order, it's s conversation piece, and apparently it's working.

I don't give much credence to this poll. How do you put 5 regional drivers in the top 10? I would think the top 10 should all be national tour drivers. Then they have Erb, 6th in points and 1 Lucas win, in front of Epj who is 4th in points and 4 wins. I don't see any continuity.

I would like to see their scoring system they use.......but from what I see, they don't have one!
    Last edited by 25drtrkr; 09-02-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by 25drtrkr View Post
    I don't give much credence to this poll. How do you put 5 regional drivers in the top 10? I would think the top 10 should all be national tour drivers. Then they have Erb, 6th in points and 1 Lucas win, in front of Epj who is 4th in points and 4 wins. I don't see any continuity.

I would like to see their scoring system they use.......but from what I see, they don't have one!
    There really isn't a scoring system..... It's an opinion poll..... 30 different ones. After they are all tabulated, this is what it spits out. They get 25 points for a first place vote, 24 for 2nd, 23 for 3rd and so on. It's no different than the college football/basketball polls. The issue is that everybody has a little different criteria on how they vote. Some probably wipe it clean after each week and others measure it over a season.

At this point there is no disputing who should be number 1. After that we could debate every spot all the way through the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdirt View Post
    There really isn't a scoring system..... It's an opinion poll..... 30 different ones. After they are all tabulated, this is what it spits out. They get 25 points for a first place vote, 24 for 2nd, 23 for 3rd and so on. It's no different than the college football/basketball polls. The issue is that everybody has a little different criteria on how they vote. Some probably wipe it clean after each week and others measure it over a season.

At this point there is no disputing who should be number 1. After that we could debate every spot all the way through the poll.
    That's the problem.....not using any stats to form an opinion!

You know what they say about......opinions! LOL
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by 25drtrkr View Post
    That's the problem.....not using any stats to form an opinion!

You know what they say about......opinions! LOL
    Yes..... Lol. That's why this is being discussed on here.

You don't have to peel the onion back to far to find out who is voting in the poll. Whether they are all using the same data or not.... The human element usually is the deciding factor on where they end up in the poll.

I make every Fantasy Late Model Pock based on DOD - and I'm in 1st again. Thanks DOD!