Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DoD Top 25

Kayaking on the Genesee River in NY state, and spending time at my cabin in Letchworth State Park

Dam OKfine, angels singing, I hardly think so, but I appreciate where you're comin from, I just dig this sport, and I wouldn't usually comment on these so called rankings because I think they've been ( different ) all year, for lack of a better adjective. Makes me wonder sometimes if these people take the "whole " country in account when they do these rankings; it reminds me of a few years ago when they ranked the best state in the country for DLM racing. In my opinion there's at least a dozen or so states that are about the same when it comes to popularity of this sport. You could say that Pa, Ohio, Ill, Ia, Mo, Wisc, Tenn, Ky, SC, NC, Ga, Va, and even WVa ( and yes, and that's for my old beloved Pennsboro ) as states that support dirt late model racing, to me, you CANNOT pick just one, and that's the point I'm making about the top 25 in the country, just be thankful we got a race to go to in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro23 View Post
    Jared Hawkins should be in the top 25.
    I agree. If Blair is on it, then Hawkins should be too.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMagic1619* View Post
    You're right Hustler, all those rankings are subjective, and to only a handful of people at DOD, and IMO, they only rank these guys by what they have done lately instead of the total body of work for the whole year which I endorse

JD has already been the driver of the year with Clanton a close second in my humble opinion, the Blair kid is basically a crate driver and in the years ahead he could be a successful late model driver, but to rank him ahead of a slew of drivers that we all know are better this year is not what I endorse
    I believe DOD brought on board some new voters this year Montana. Maybe that's why these rankings seem little strange.

Lanigan ahead of Eckert and Chub have me scratchin my head along with Owens in the 3 spot. Clearly Richards and Clanton especially, are having a better year than Jimmy.
    I would also have McDowell ranked higher than 16th. He doesn't run weekly, but every big race he enters, He's a contender.

Either way, I still enjoy everything DOD does for the sport even tho the rankings have me wondering, who did the voting

DOD's Top 25

JD
    Bloomer
    Owens
    Clanton
    Richards
    Moyer
    Weaver
    Ferguson
    Babb
    Marlar
    Stovall
    Erb
    Pearson
    BShep
    Roberts
    McDowell
    Landers
    Feger
    Moyer Jr.
    Lanigan
    Oneal
    Frank
    Pierce
    Eckert
    Blair
    8/13/16

Remember a few years ago DOD ranked Brian Birkhofer in the top 10 in one of their early polls. Heck, he never ran a race and still was voted high in their poll. Had to laugh, I guess DOD felt Birky didnt have any bad outtings so lets rank him for what is does in the future.

BTW Which state was picked by DOD as best state for DLM racing? Must have missed that one.
    Last edited by MUD MAESTRO; 08-25-2015 at 09:59 PM.

30 different opinions.... 30 different sets of eyes...... 30 different sets of criteria.

This poll is meaningless... It has no rhyme or reason. When it first started it was fairly accurate with only a few voters. Now it has clearly become nothing more than a popularity poll.An idea for DOD for a poll that would put drivers in an order that would make since would be off of money won...1 point for every dollar won. Maybe DOD could hire Montana to put that together for them for a poll that would have some creditability.
    Last edited by onlyfacts; 08-26-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Kayaking on the Genesee River in NY state, and spending time at my cabin in Letchworth State Park

I appreciate your comment onlyfacts, but I don't think DOD would want me to do anything for them, they have their own little clique, and I don't think I'd fit in, besides, I got a lot of friends on here that I love supplying information to that keeps me happy.

And Maestro, the state was Illinois, which I have no problem with, but my point was there's other states that are just as big on dirt late model racing as the Land of Lincoln. And isn't DOD based out of Illinois......hmmm
    Light My Fire / Doors
    Rooster / Alice in Chains
    Don't You Forget About Me / Simple Minds

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMagic1619* View Post
    Dam OKfine, angels singing, I hardly think so, but I appreciate where you're comin from, I just dig this sport, and I wouldn't usually comment on these so called rankings because I think they've been ( different ) all year, for lack of a better adjective. Makes me wonder sometimes if these people take the "whole " country in account when they do these rankings; it reminds me of a few years ago when they ranked the best state in the country for DLM racing. In my opinion there's at least a dozen or so states that are about the same when it comes to popularity of this sport. You could say that Pa, Ohio, Ill, Ia, Mo, Wisc, Tenn, Ky, SC, NC, Ga, Va, and even WVa ( and yes, and that's for my old beloved Pennsboro ) as states that support dirt late model racing, to me, you CANNOT pick just one, and that's the point I'm making about the top 25 in the country, just be thankful we got a race to go to in this country.
    Clearly not a literal term with the " angels singing" comment, but just the point of all of this back and forth( much of it complete BS) and then you come rolling in here with great facts, great insight and even greater information.

Every single time.
    EVERYBODY HAS A GAME PLAN, UNTIL THEY GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE.......M.T

Quote Originally Posted by Kwd1253 View Post
    Sh!t, okfine needs share the goods he is the one that hearing angels singing to him as he reads post lol...
    Only Montanas posts..........most of the time I'm hearing Aerosmith......" Same old song and dance"

Look at the good side though, at least I'm not hearing" voices" as do many of 4ms finest.

Just sayin.

In my humble opinion; if I were still doing the American DLM Rankings I could easily end this debate. My rankings were very objective...
    In the aDLMr drivers are rewarded for showing up often and performing well against the top competition!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SDLM Rankings View Post
    In my humble opinion; if I were still doing the American DLM Rankings I could easily end this debate. My rankings were very objective...
    Yahtzee!!!!!!!!

In the World, Dream, DTWC, USA Nats and the N/S alone Bloomer has 18 second place finishes over the years. Pretty impressive but to me the standings should be for this year alone. Bloomer illegally won the Dream so the fact that he won then got DQd should carry no weight whatsoever. He finished 28th in that race or whatever last place is because his car wasn't within the rules like everyone elses. These rankings on DoD are kind of cool but when they start adding guys who don't even race against the big guys how can you rank them? That's like some D2 football team getting in the AP top 25, makes no sense! To rank the best just look at what happens at Eldora, Florence, Cedar Lake and Portsmouth and how they finish. If you don't show up to any of those races you shouldn't be included plain and simple.

Thumbs up

You sir were very fair and spot on with your rankings that's for sure. I wish either you or Montana would start doing some again.
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

Quote Originally Posted by Okfine View Post
    Only Montanas posts..........most of the time I'm hearing Aerosmith......" Same old song and dance"Look at the good side though, at least I'm not hearing" voices" as do many of 4ms finest.Just sayin.
    Haha yeah you right about that....
    Wish you would start posting them, yours was much better and closer than dod. Yours made hell of lot more since specially in on the point system. Where do you have blair sitting at? Im sure in crates he in top 10 or 5, but super i dont see him in your top 25.
    Last edited by Kwd1253; 08-26-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Your rankings were a good read

the big question is...

Where is Devon Moran ranked
    8/13/16

I always felt your poll was more fair and objective!.......You would be welcomed back, anytime!
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

Do we even need a ranking I mean if you keep up with racing you pretty much know how things are running and who is winning the most.

Quote Originally Posted by drano View Post
    Do we even need a ranking I mean if you keep up with racing you pretty much know how things are running and who is winning the most.
    Sure we need the rankings, we have three pages of proof right here! Keeps people talking....

The rankings are't easy, I get that, but there has to be some bias in place in this weeks poll (which there shouldn't be) I don't have a problem with ranking Blair (I wouldn't have) but it's fine, I do see an issue with Owens being 3rd and Bloomquist getting a first place vote, that seems asinine considering all that Davenport has done. Be interesting to see how long that voter sticks with that vote IF Bloomquist doesn't win and Davenport or Richards does.
    I live with fear, but sometimes she lets me race.

Dont need no rankings thingys, we are gonna settle this the old fashioned way here in 17 days:
    The A-Main starting line up at the World100 will be the top 25 (30) late models in the country.
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

These ranking do create interest. I think we all can agree that, they are not exactly accurate and mostly for bragging rights. I have a problem with the criteria for the rankings, for some. If a regional driver races 5 times for $5k and wins, did he make less money than a national driver that won a $20k race? (for math impaired, he did not) He sometimes works harder for the $3k win, than a 10k win. It would be interesting to see a list, that gave a point for a dollar on all pay days over $2k, even if it was a 2k to start race. Even make it 1k, that's about break even point for fuel to get there on average. Then have a list for crates and one for limited LM, because they don't run together usually.